Looking for headphone upgrade recommendations
Jun 22, 2017 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

zemroid

New Head-Fier
I'm planning to up my headphone game with new open cans. My current pair is the Superlux HD-330's with DT770 velour pads which have been good for the price. My DAC is the Schiit Modi 2 Uber and amp is going to be the Magni 2 Uber which is currently shipping to me.

The headphones are going to be for music, tv-shows, movies and other every day uses like videos etc. Music genres go from metal and rock to electronic, jpop and orchestral video game soundtracks so a pretty wide range. My HD-330's are going to stay hooked up to my Soundblaster Z to get virtual surround for games that benefit from it so mainly FPS's like CSGO, Battlefield etc. So the new headphones would be also for many more casual story games which have higher emphasis on dialogue and soundtrack.

Budget goes up to 350€.

I've been doing a lot of research and my initial choice was the Sennheiser HD650's which would go for 340€. Later I found out about the Hifiman He-400i's which currently go for 330€. They seemed better for me in basically every way so they are currently my top contender.

So does anyone have thoughts on the He-400i's for my uses or possibly better alternatives? I think the sound I want would be pretty neutral/natural but with some excitement. Basically what the HD650's and He-400i's are usually described as, I think?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm planning to up my headphone game with new open cans. My current pair is the Superlux HD-300's with DT770 velour pads which have been good for the price. My DAC is the Schiit Modi 2 Uber and amp is going to be the Magni 2 Uber which is currently shipping to me.

The headphones are going to be for music, tv-shows, movies and other every day uses like videos etc. Music genres go from metal and rock to electronic, jpop and orchestral video game soundtracks so a pretty wide range. My HD-330's are going to stay hooked up to my Soundblaster Z to get virtual surround for games that benefit from it so mainly FPS's like CSGO, Battlefield etc. So the new headphones would be also for many more casual story games which have higher emphasis on dialogue and soundtrack.

Budget goes up to 350€.

I've been doing a lot of research and my initial choice was the Sennheiser HD650's which would go for 340€. Later I found out about the Hifiman He-400i's which currently go for 330€. They seemed better for me in basically every way so they are currently my top contender.

So does anyone have thoughts on the He-400i's for my uses or possibly better alternatives? I think the sound I want would be pretty neutral/natural but with some excitement. Basically what the HD650's and He-400i's are usually described as, I think?
Personally, I would consider the HE400i (which I have owned) to be more of a sidegrade from the HD650 (which I own) than a real upgrade. They are just different. The HD650 has a little bit of a bass emphasis when compared to the HD600, its brother, and a bit of a rolled off treble also when compared to the HD600. A bit warmish. The HE400i tends more toward the sort of briightish side of the ledger IMO compared to its brother, the HE400S. Both are about equally detailed, but the HD650 has the more intimate soundstage. Both good, just different. I happen to prefer the HD650, myself.

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Personally, I would consider the HE400i (which I have owned) to be more of a sidegrade from the HD650 (which I own) than a real upgrade. They are just different. The HD650 has a little bit of a bass emphasis when compared to the HD600, its brother, and a bit of a rolled off treble also when compared to the HD600. A bit warmish. The HE400i tends more toward the sort of briightish side of the ledger IMO compared to its brother, the HE400S. Both are about equally detailed, but the HD650 has the more intimate soundstage. Both good, just different. I happen to prefer the HD650, myself.
The thing is, I don't really know if I want somewhat bright or warm headphones. The way people describe DT990's treble as sibilant or ear screeching, makes me at least not want those. HE400i's treble seems to be described as detailed and clear so it at least seems something I'd enjoy.

Why I'm more towards the HE400i's is that I read they're "fast" which would be great for fast electronic music and metal, for example, but still having all the details and quality for vocals and such.

You cloud check Oppo's planar magnetic offering's if you're looking for planar magnetic rather than dynamic headphones.
Their planars in my budget would maybe be the PM-3's but those are closed. The semi-open PM-1's cost triple my budget so no for those.

I prefer the 650 myself. There are things that I like about planar but comparing those two, I thought the 650 is preferred for long duration listening.
I didn't come across anyone saying the HE400i's are fatiguing. They should be comfortable as well, maybe not as comfortable as the HD650's but I think my HD330's with velour pads have been really comfortable so I think I'd be fine with HE400i's when it comes to that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back