Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 28, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #18,556 of 63,977
How do I know if I'm gonna get the premium packaging on the ZS5 or just a repackage?
Have any of you received different packaging?
I ordered 2 weeks ago from NiceHCK - got the small package (not the full box). The only difference inside is the tips, with the box "premium" pack, you get 3 + 3 pairs inside metal holder, while with the smaller transparent packaging you get only 3 pairs without that holder. You don't get carrying case either way, and included tips with the small box are quite bad imo. 3 more pairs in the larger box might be better, can't comment on that. I would use other tips either way probably.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #18,557 of 63,977
How do I know if I'm gonna get the premium packaging on the ZS5 or just a repackage?

Got the premium package but I must say that I personally only consider it an added value as a gift for someone else. I didn't care much for the extra packaging and 3 extra tips when I can get KZ Starline tips for next to nothing on Ali.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #18,558 of 63,977

I live in the US and received the box on the right :frowning2:. I ordered from Gearbest

ajosar.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #18,559 of 63,977
I'm actually getting kind of bored of the ZS5's. I've been using them daily and they just aren't exciting. My Tennmak Piano's have a better low end (bass head bass), better mids, and more smooth highs with no sibilance. The Piano's do get a little muddy when there is a lot going on, which the ZS5's don't do.

I really hope KZ goes back to the ZS5's and adjusts the mid driver to be more present. I also wouldn't mind a bit more low end.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #18,560 of 63,977
Jun 28, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #18,561 of 63,977
Update on my ZS5 impressions: A few db boost in mids brings the vocals slightly while not disturbing anything, and if you use them on other devices, the missing eq isn't distracting, so a slight mid boost on your main source for these is awesome. They are not the most comfortable thing to jam in your ears for longer period of time, after about an hour with these, when I took them out, my ears started hurting a bit (interestingly, not while they were in my ears), they also left a visible impression in my ears where the edges are. Not concerned, it is a minor thing and they are fairly ok while I'm using them. Bass is a bit too much for me even with comply eartips, but it is not ruining the experience, just reminds me sometimes that these aren't exactly balanced, but relatively close. They lack the dynamic and engaging sound of more expensive iems, which makes me turn the volume more than I usually do, and sometimes I hear a distortion somewhere in the mid range, can't really pin point it as it doesn't happen often and only when really pushing them. In the end, these are spectacular (even though I bashed them more than praised them, which says a lot, I've been actively trying to find flaws, and doing that by a very high standard looking at just how they sound and disregarding the price). For around 20$ you really can't do better and even if you could, it would be barely noticeable in direct comparison, that's why these are easy to recommend.

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #18,562 of 63,977
Damn. And here I just ordered some ZS5s. :frowning2:

I'm a bass-head.

There is bass, but it's definitely not bass head bass. My Piano's rock my skull and it's wonderful.

You can EQ some more clean bass out of the ZS5's though.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #18,563 of 63,977
With a proper seal using the KZ starline tips that came with my ZS5, I have had no problems getting basshead levels of bass to rival my DZAT DT05 and TFZ Series 5. In fact, I've had to EQ back the mids more than anything to give it more of a V shape on vocal trance and other dance music with vocals.

If you're not getting really decent bass out of the ZS5, you might have a pair afflicted with the crossed wires and out of phase sound.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #18,564 of 63,977
With a proper seal using the KZ starline tips that came with my ZS5, I have had no problems getting basshead levels of bass to rival my DZAT DT05 and TFZ Series 5. In fact, I've had to EQ back the mids more than anything to give it more of a V shape on vocal trance and other dance music with vocals.

If you're not getting really decent bass out of the ZS5, you might have a pair afflicted with the crossed wires and out of phase sound.

Both are in phase with no issues. The problem with the ZS5's is that they show how terribly music is mastered recently.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #18,565 of 63,977
Both are in phase with no issues. The problem with the ZS5's is that they show how terribly music is mastered recently.

That I would totally agree with. It's interesting how some music sounds great in the ZS5 and other music almost sounds distorted. To the point that I've wondered if I was somehow overdriving the drivers. But after checking, I get that same sound at any volume.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #18,566 of 63,977
That I would totally agree with. It's interesting how some music sounds great in the ZS5 and other music almost sounds distorted. To the point that I've wondered if I was somehow overdriving the drivers. But after checking, I get that same sound at any volume.
A good portion of my normal music sounds really bad, but what does sound good sounds REALLY GOOD.

They also really need power. Even though they're low impedance, they really need more.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #18,568 of 63,977
zs5 first impressions

i ordered them from banggood, got the 'international' package. small box, 3 pairs of silicone tips, single cable, still, i can't complain for ~$20. build looks solid on mine; however they are light as feather. the memory wire sucks at first sight. i remember some of you guys saying that you did get rid of it; way to go if i decide to keep them. (i bought an akg n40 after ordering the zs5's, and it's so good that my chi-fi adventures might come to an early end.) comfort was meh with the silicones - no surprise here, i had to swap the silicones to some foam tips on every iem i have. with the foam tips, isolation seems all right. i won't comment on the sound too much, it would be too early to jump to conclusions, i'll just say that they sound _completely different from my sources (phone, benjie s5, desktop dac/amp), i've never heard so different sounds from these sources.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #18,569 of 63,977

Same here, The Starlines for me give a good fit and a great seal. I wouldn't want more bass than this and it does not bleed over..mids also for me are present, not forward but very clear and detailed. The key for me was to amp these. My Fiio E6 is just enough. Turned a moderately good iem into a semi beast. Nothing boring here. Imo they are the best for the money right now IF you get a good seal and give them power. Remember, there are a lot of speakers that have to be driven in these..of course Ymmv...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back