Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 21, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #18,391 of 63,836
I am about to receive a ZS5, but I've never had any phasing issues with audio equipment of any kind... I assume that it isn't hard to detect if one side isn't correctly in phase, but is it hard to detect if both sides are inverted? So, if it sounds wrong in a way, changing one side's polarity can make them both correct or both incorrect - is there a difference between the two and if perhaps the difference is small, what would be the best way to detect it? I've read that the bass is much weaker if both are inverted, but the article was orientated towards speakers, not headphones.
If you really want to know, I've been involved in the audio industry long enough to tell if anything is out of phase by listening...if that answers your doubts or questions.

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #18,392 of 63,836
I've read that the bass is much weaker if both are inverted, but the article was orientated towards speakers, not headphones.
well the same applies to headphones too. I've tried connecting cables wrongly and it does sounds off and the bass is like not there and the whole thing sounds like a mess that's harsh and trebly. I have soldered wrongly before some dynamic driver too and it resulted in this same kind of off sound too with almost no bass. I believe it'll be very easily detectable for anyone.

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #18,393 of 63,836
Thank you for quick answers, I assumed that something like this would be quite noticeable. I just can't believe that a mistake like this could happen with so many units, I mean, it is the only thing that people have to worry about when assembling headphones, not to mess up L-R and phase... And ZS5 has 4 drivers per side, you'd think that they've got it together :triportsad:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #18,396 of 63,836
Is there any non-KZ made and non Bluetooth cable that will work with the ZS5?
There are plentiful of custom cable but likely won't fit in 100%. Just get any 2-pin 0.75mm connection cable will do. It will fit in but won't fit tight into the groove.
1498102182163-1926454609.jpg

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #18,397 of 63,836
Well after 3 weeks on the slow boat, my KZ ZS5 has arrived in the US. When it arrives, I'll check my .75mm 2-pin cables to let you all know if any of them give a decent enough fit, or if I notice any changes in sound.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #18,398 of 63,836
Thank you for quick answers, I assumed that something like this would be quite noticeable. I just can't believe that a mistake like this could happen with so many units, I mean, it is the only thing that people have to worry about when assembling headphones, not to mess up L-R and phase... And ZS5 has 4 drivers per side, you'd think that they've got it together :triportsad:

When you're working 12-14 hours a day and only making a few dollars, it is easy to stop caring about things like soldering every wire in phase.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #18,399 of 63,836
So lesson for us getting KZs...if the sound is weird/off, check the polarity first. Too many cases now with reversed polarity in one side.

And to one of the posters earlier, if both sides are out of phase, that makes them IN PHASE haha
It doesn't matter which direction they are in, as long as they are the same direction.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #18,400 of 63,836
I experienced the same improvement amped with E6 out of my xduoo X3.

Wonder if the phase issue is the fault of the cable or the earpiece,?

Man, ZS5 is a Beast once you get the right fit and seal and then amp them. I moved up to my Fiio E11 and almost immediately went on Gearbest to order another pair in blue for the 19.99 special price. With the starline tips the fit is tighter, more snug but the sound quality jumps up a few levels above ZST imo...clearer with more detail and better extension both ways. Soundstage is wide and the instrument separation is very good. For the 23'dollars that I paid I am very pleased...

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #18,403 of 63,836
got the ZS5. Not that impressed vs the ZST. Only the bass response is tightened up.

Still. I cant be mad @ the price point and price/perf ratio, it's just not the same wow effect the ZST had.

These deserve a better, metal housing though. In terms of build the ZST are much better. The plastic housing of these is just horrible.

I might be down to make a CAD drawing of this at some point and getting some better shells machined. ( though im pretty sure they'd cost as much as the 'phones themselves. )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back