Keyboard-Fi
Jul 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #1,801 of 2,079
I been hearing great things about Gateron switches... They are supposedly better quality than the equivalent Cherry since in more recent years, the quality of Cherry switches has dropped a little. Like I hear stories of Cherry Black switches being scratchy, etc 

Anyone here have experience with Gaterons??

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #1,802 of 2,079
  Used to own a Razer Blackwidow with blue switches but got sick of the clicky sound and burnt LED lights.

Switched to a Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 with brown switches and never look back. Less cable clutter while using the keyboard with it's Bluetooth function.

Love the white \ blue colour, looks great.
Are those keycaps PBT or ABS? Double shot or single top labeled?

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #1,804 of 2,079
  what are your guys thoughts on the corsair K70 RGB LUX? is that worth the retail price or should i be considering less mainstream options in that price range? 

Thats a nice keyboard. The higher price is because of the aluminum and their using actual cherry mx switches. IMO totally worth it, you won't be disappointed.

Just a heads up on backbit keyboards, In my experience they tend to draw more power and work best when connected to a powered usb hub. (Keep that in mind if your computer doesn't detect the keyboard after waking from sleep) 

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #1,805 of 2,079
  Thats a nice keyboard. The higher price is because of the aluminum and their using actual cherry mx switches. IMO totally worth it, you won't be disappointed.

Just a heads up on backbit keyboards, In my experience they tend to draw more power and work best when connected to a powered usb hub. (Keep that in mind if your computer doesn't detect the keyboard after waking from sleep) 

thanks for the advice, i think ill go for the K70! just wanted to check to make sure it's not one of those "nice but overpriced" situations :)

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,808 of 2,079
Total noob here, what does doubleshot mean?

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #1,810 of 2,079
  I been hearing great things about Gateron switches... They are supposedly better quality than the equivalent Cherry since in more recent years, the quality of Cherry switches has dropped a little. Like I hear stories of Cherry Black switches being scratchy, etc 

Anyone here have experience with Gaterons??

Yes. I own a couple Gateron boards, 2 Magicforces and a Whitefox, whilst I cannot attest for their life-expectancy just yet as I've not had them for a long time yet I can tell you they feel better than the latter iterations of Cherry - a lot of people are sceptical but I personally feel that as of right now there's no real point choosing Cherry over Gateron. For the sake of integrity though I will say I only have gateron clears (2x) and browns (x1) on my boards so I cannot attest for how the other colours feel but if they are any indication, I doubt it'll be different.

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #1,812 of 2,079

Yes. I own a couple Gateron boards, 2 Magicforces and a Whitefox, whilst I cannot attest for their life-expectancy just yet as I've not had them for a long time yet I can tell you they feel better than the latter iterations of Cherry - a lot of people are sceptical but I personally feel that as of right now there's no real point choosing Cherry over Gateron. For the sake of integrity though I will say I only have gateron clears (2x) and browns (x1) on my boards so I cannot attest for how the other colours feel but if they are any indication, I doubt it'll be different.

I got my first modern mech keyboard, I've always been into them since I got my first PC in the late 80's/early 90's, and discovered reds are too soft. Also found out the tops of the keys tend to be shaped tighter together cause my fat fingers to drift and make mistakes. 

I want to try Cherry blacks or the Gateron equal on my next keyboard. One thing I with newer keyboards had was the tank like build quality of older keyboards.... I like heavy keyboards... 

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #1,813 of 2,079
  I want to try Cherry blacks or the Gateron equal on my next keyboard. One thing I with newer keyboards had was the tank like build quality of older keyboards.... I like heavy keyboards... 

I like light keyboards and light switches, I use Gateron clears (my favourites) and browns (not as light but still soft) but the old "vintage" cherry blacks and whites are awesome too, shame they're hard to come by nowadays.

Jul 30, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #1,814 of 2,079
(Photos used from Them Interwebs, not mine.)

My work machine uses one of those freaky-looking Maltron keyboards with Cherry MX black switches:

My home machine, which sometimes gets used for gaming, has a tenkeyless Filco Ninja 2 with Cherry MX reds, and silicon dampers fitted:

Both are amazing- the Maltron is virtually impossible to use if you're not used to it, though. The Ninja, on the other hand, is a bit weird due to more or less forcing you to touch type.. but it's incredibly sturdy, and quick, and generally feels amazing in use. WASD+maus never felt so good!

The tenkeyless layout is a boon, it preserves the key pitch to suit my slightly embarrassing large hands (no clown shoe jokes!), but gets the keyboard sensibly close to my foolishly huge Steelseries QcK Heavy mouse mat, which takes up far too much desk space. I don't need to have Gibbon arms to reach everything, which is extremely comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back