Jerry Harvey Granted Dual High Frequency Canalphone Patent
Mar 24, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #76 of 121
And the Westone patents didn't appear to inhibit the competition, through enforcement, apparently.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #78 of 121
Since neither Westone nor UE used their patents to inhibit Jerry's business, how could anyone say Jerry was "burned" via patents?

That was my thought, though possibly it was more a case that he was upset that they took over marketing and sales decisions from him?  Maybe it was more a matter of losing control of the business.  I guess this lawsuit just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Admittedly, I don't know all the details, so I will refrain from making negative comments about this all.  As the saying goes, "Not my monkey, not my circus".

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #79 of 121
The audio world is watching.

I really hope, for everyone's sake, that wounded pride, power-hunger, ego, or money-grabbing aren't motivating factors.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #80 of 121
"Since neither Westone nor UE used their patents to inhibit Jerry's business, how could anyone say Jerry was "burned" via patents?"

They legally took Jerrys work and bailed, throwing patents as an excuse. They didn't do anything wrong legally but if you can get access to the entire saga, ethics wasn't part of the equation. I'm repeating again that UE was a different story from the Westone bit. Jerry has been a pioneer in the business for over 20 years but had a very low number of patents and there's a reason why.

So is Jerry suing others for his patents illegal? No but it does raise other questions just like how Westone didn't do anything illegal either but then again, the Devil is in the details.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #81 of 121
Both Boeing and Bell Labs have numerous patents on 'canalphones' (or acoustic chambers) and related technology for over 50 years now. This technology is neither new nor innovative so I don't see what the fuss is. There are bigger dogs out there that can chew up the little guys with ease so unless a design is a 100% copy, tough titties!!

beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #82 of 121
It's especially dubious when Knowles, and other BA manufacturers, are working directly with various companies to make custom versions of dual stacked BA's to the customer's specifications.  Referring to an older case of multiple companies collaborating together and then using said technology and production methods for themselves is completely different than what appears to be happening here. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #83 of 121
Unless you are a crazy engineer/designer JH13/16 solution is very applicable solution. Lots of firms use this solution luckily most of that located out of USA. 1964 is an unlucky man due their location.

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #84 of 121
  It's especially dubious when Knowles, and other BA manufacturers, are working directly with various companies to make custom versions of dual stacked BA's to the customer's specifications.

Yes, I wonder what Knowles are making of all this.

There appears to be definite 'biting the hand that feeds you' (and biting the hand that feeds the broader CIEM industry) potential here.

I can't help thinking that there is a seemingly-unnecessary $h1tstorm brewing, that may even backfire, but all we can do is just watch and wait to see what happens.

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #85 of 121
  Both Boeing and Bell Labs have numerous patents on 'canalphones' (or acoustic chambers) and related technology for over 50 years now. This technology is neither new nor innovative so I don't see what the fuss is. There are bigger dogs out there that can chew up the little guys with ease so unless a design is a 100% copy, tough titties!!

beerchug.gif

Yes, too small to activate the gustatory system.

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #86 of 121
Patents don't define an inventor... I'll have to look and see what all the patent covers. Being granted a monopoly on an idea has never seemed okay to me.

True but these aren't just ideas. They are products using the tech and things like sliced bread was an idea before implementing it and yes, it was patented. There's ways around the patent or perhaps there will be a fee or it will get challenged in court. Patents are about good ideas. Intellectual property that can be made into products and that's exactly what's happened here. The issue is how original and unique when it 1st appeared. Probably why it got awarded.

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #89 of 121

lol  For some reason, I was suddenly reminded of a dialogue from Star Wars. XD

Except in this case, it's more like Space Balls...
I see your Schwartz is as big as mine.

When they announced the patent award in December, I suspected something was up. Proclaiming on all relevant media outlets that they'd gotten the patent awarded was tantamount to gloating to competitors --- as well as a warning.

But unless they plan on suing every CIEM manufacturer out there that uses phase correction (there are several) with the FK family of drivers, I don't see the point.

Of course, doing so will amount in lots of lawyer fees that not even JH Audio could handle. Other companies are also based outside of the US, where the USPTO holds less bearing (not necessarily talkinga bout China). So they're doing it on one company that happens to be established in the US, one company that silently implemented phase correction into the V6S and V8, and has the most potential for hurting sales for JH Audio as well. I don't want to comment on whether this move is smart or cruel.

This, and the ridiculous price is why I won't buy a Jerry Harvey product. Also, the cases on the siren series are comically large. This suit was a d-bag move. Jerry Harvey has been hanging out with Appleholes a little too much, methinks.

Any news on the outcome here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back