Jerry Harvey Granted Dual High Frequency Canalphone Patent
Feb 3, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #106 of 121
  Worldwide patents are more expensive.

Yeah. Each jurisdiction has their own filing costs, plus the fees for the patent attorney (rare to find one who can file in 2+ jurisdictions). JH will probably be targeting areas where it would be more lucrative to ban competition from using the same tech, or be able to get a settlement fee. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #107 of 121
Hmmm... I wonder if this whole unfortunate debacle may finally be nearing resolution? (not yet, but nearly)

https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/flmd/305579/

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #109 of 121
I would rather see 64Audio at Canjam London, but I imagine it would lead to pistols at dawn.

May 31, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #110 of 121
After a long pause, it appears there has been a flurry of activity, recently, if anyone cares to check the above link.

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #111 of 121
  Just a guess.. but maybe a royalty agreement to JH by 64?

It would be an incredibly bad precedent to set. This patent needs to go the way of the dodo.

Jun 4, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #112 of 121

It would be an incredibly bad precedent to set. This patent needs to go the way of the dodo.

Lines 116 - 116.5 make for interesting reading.

For reasons that will be abundantly obvious to many head-fiers, I've been anticipating this move, ever since the legal action was announced, and I'm very interested to see how it may alter the entire course of the proceedings.

Jun 4, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #113 of 121

Lines 116 - 116.5 make for interesting reading.

For reasons that will be abundantly obvious to many head-fiers, I've been anticipating this move, ever since the legal action was announced, and I'm very interested to see how it may alter the entire course of the proceedings.

If I'm noting right, those are the lines where 64Ears essentially is challenging that everybody else is doing this and Knowles sells matched driver pairs for this purpose, hence Jerry Harvey has an indefensible patent, right? I'm somewhat surprised there haven't been amicus briefs up the wazzoo as the patent basically says if you use matched drivers to lower distortion and it is in a shell designed to be inserted into the ear canal, Jerry Harvey owns it. If Jerry wins this suit, it could have a chilling effect on the entire industry, because essentially Jerry has patented multi-BA (more than 5 per ear) IEMs as a category.

Oh, and the Jerry being screwed by UE, Logitech and by extension Westone in the past due to not patenting his work stuff. Could get even more interesting than it already is.

popcorn.gif

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #115 of 121
Jul 29, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #116 of 121
  Man, the wheels of government bureaucracy turn slowly!

Yeah...

personally, I don't particularly wish either side any loss (or disproportionate gain), from this sorry state of affairs. It'd just be nice to see everyone sheath their swords and play nicely with the available toys without feeling the need to hoard them away from one another, out of an attitude of scarcity.

Let's wait & see how the review plays-out, in due course 
popcorn.gif

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #120 of 121
Well, it seems it might(!) finally be over, at long last (thanks to shotgunshane for the heads-up)

Make of it what you will:

www.64audio.com/blog/victory-patent-office/

Perhaps it is rather ironic, in light of events and actions that have occurred in between times, with a different (non-electrical) IEM/CIEM-specific technology. Uncomfortably ironic, to this onlooker, actually. I decline to elaborate on what I am referring to, but many of you will be acutely aware of the technology in question, and the parties involved. All I can do is sigh and shake my head in disappointment, and remember one word, the implications of which, I personally consider to be 100% inescapable, regardless of social morality or legalities which might sometimes appear to contradict it, by surface appearances. That one word is 'karma'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back