Jazz Recommendations from this Century
Jun 7, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #376 of 411
Came across this by chance. Very nice interplay between vocal and guitar work.

Unknown.jpeg

Jun 7, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #377 of 411
On the topic of Charlie Hunter, here's a recent one. Been mentioned in an earlier post, but I'll shamelessly repeat it here:

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 11.38.58 AM.png

Jun 9, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #378 of 411
Listened to a fantastic set by these guys at SFJAZZ yesterday, now listening to the album. Back to the late 60s-early 70s in the best funky way.

Jun 10, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #379 of 411
Listened to a fantastic set by these guys at SFJAZZ yesterday, now listening to the album. Back to the late 60s-early 70s in the best funky way.

Very nice. Saw on the other thread that the yggy gets it spot on in terms of making the performance sound just like it does in real life. It's like having them play in your home anytime you feel like. What a joy that is.

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #381 of 411
Smooth new album released on Tidal. Worth a listen.

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 4.57.42 PM.png

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #382 of 411
Heard them play several of these live a while ago, refreshing my memory with the album. Not one of the crazy-dissonant-out-there albums I sometimes recommend, this is more mellow but always engaging and stepping out lightly from the beaten path. Ben Street on bass (I've been hearing him a lot live, most recently on an awesome live gig with Chris Potter, David Virelles, and Dan Weiss) weaves a subtle web between Parks's piano piano and Hart's drums. Delightful evening music.

EshHtA2.png

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #388 of 411
Been traveling for almost one month, just catching up and getting some new jazz :) Here are three (relatively) recent releases not mentioned earlier here that I recommend:

Flaga: The Book of Angels, volume 27: Craig Taborn (piano), Christian McBride (bass), Tyshawn Sorey (drums), great energy, drive, drags you along like wild horses. Taborn and Sorey have been on fire for the last several years.
Verisimilitude: Tyshawn Sorey. Demands close listening, not your dinner jazz, closer to avantgarde classical for sure, austere, brilliant.
Passin' Thru: Charles Lloyd New Quartet. Quintessential lyrical, meandering, earthy now, flying then Lloyd, with standout sidemen Jason Moran (piano), Reuben Rogers (bass), and Eric Harland (drums).

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #389 of 411
Been traveling for almost one month, just catching up and getting some new jazz :) Here are three (relatively) recent releases not mentioned earlier here that I recommend:

Flaga: The Book of Angels, volume 27: Craig Taborn (piano), Christian McBride (bass), Tyshawn Sorey (drums), great energy, drive, drags you along like wild horses. Taborn and Sorey have been on fire for the last several years.
Verisimilitude: Tyshawn Sorey. Demands close listening, not your dinner jazz for sure, closer to avantgarde classical for sure, austere, brilliant.
Passin' Thru: Charles Lloyd New Quartet. Quintessential lyrical, meandering, earthy now, flying then Lloyd, with standout sidemen Jason Moran (piano), Reuben Rogers (bass), and Eric Harland (drums).

Glad to see something new from Charles Lloyd. I'm becoming quite a fan recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back