Introducing the STAX SRM-T8000 - Head-Fi TV
May 4, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #61 of 247
A look at the specifications in comparison to the SRM727 does yield some useful information. Between the two, the maximum output is almost identical, 450VRMS for the 727 vs 470VRMS for the T8000. The power consumption is 46 watts for the 727 vs 58 watts for the T8000 w/o the 4th slot plugged in.

So what can we gather from this? Well, the max output tells us the voltage of the power supply. In the 727 it is +/-350 volts, so it is nearly the same in the T8000 - say +/-360 volts. The T8000 draws an extra 12 watts, however the input tube's filament supplies use up an extra 5 watts, and the input tubes like to run at a higher current and voltage than the solid state input section it replaces, so that probably accounts for most, if not all, of the additional power draw. Overall then, the output stage should be pretty close to the 727 in both voltage and current output capability. It should be nearly identical to the KGST in voltage output but with somewhat less current capability, but it does not approach the voltage or current output capability of the KGSSHV, KGSS Carbon, BHSE or DIY T2. Now, these limits are somewhat academic in that playing music at those levels for any length of time will give you a nice case of permanent hearing damage, but still....

The interior shots do not appear to show the presence of a regulated power supply. Not all amps have a regulated power supply, but the presence of one would result in an increased parts cost and an increased price.

So, if it is not significantly more powerful than the 727, and does not have additional circuitry for power supply regulation, it does raise the question of why it costs three times as much as their previous TOTL amp.

May 5, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #63 of 247
A look at the specifications in comparison to the SRM727 does yield some useful information.

Good write up. I recall some mention of a bias adjust circuit to compensate for warmup. So turn it on and you're ready to go. That, plus casework, extra shielding and expandability would add to the cost somewhat, but yes 3X does seem a bit steep. Perhaps $4k would seem more in line with the amp. OTOH anything north of $2k is going to make a boutique item even more, so I imagine they have to raise the price to compensate for the lower total volume.

In the old days Stax was willing to do products which were essentially custom runs. The T2, the ED-1/B/C and the 4070 come to my mind. Edifier appears to be more oriented towards an established product line, which we can perhaps see with all the portable and desktop amp prototypes. With the T-8000 they're filling in for a gap in their high end amplifier category, with a product that does appear to be an extension of their present top amp, without any exotic casework or features. It's solidity a Stax amp. And the probable lack of regulation? Personally I like the sound of the unregulated Stax amps. It gives a bit of warmth and looseness to the nearly perfect transducers.

So with this we get a solid performer, easy to care for, no fuss that will give you fantastic audio. I love my Stax amps but the only complaint is that they don't have a lot of drive (be careful using extension cables). This offering appears to be solidly Stax and a clear member of their family.

May 5, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #64 of 247
ofcouse 50k HE1 and Shangrila are usual suspects.

Well, I look at the HE1 as a combination of technical prowess and marketing - the marketing part being the Carrera marble (I mean, really, if marble were the best for controlling vibrations, electron microscopes would be using it) and the rising/falling tubes and retracting volume knob - value added through gadgetry. Now, whether that justifies the $50k price, I don't know. That chunk of polished marble is certainly expensive, considering the hollowing out needed to accommodate the electronic parts, and evidently Sennheiser did quite a bit of research in designing it.

OTOH, the Shangri-La I look at more as a marketing exercise. Although the 300B output tubes are low inherent distortion (good), their voltage limits are much lower than, say a triode-connected EL34 (450V vs 600-800V), and they are most linear at higher current levels (40-60 mA vs 20 mA for the EL34) that are not really needed for driving electrostatic headphones. They are also even more mucho dinero than the most expensive NOS EL34, e.g. $1200/pair for Western Electric 300B tubes. They appear to be using the 300B because it has a reputation as a "good sounding" tube rather than as the best engineering choice. The use of 6SN7 tubes in the amp section also makes me wonder if there is enough gain available, an issue in other electrostatic amps using that tube. And apparently, the amp broke down at a recent show. Now I'm old enough to remember the pre-transistor days, and well designed tube amps rarely break down.

Also, the headphone reportedly uses the same body as the HEK. I don't know that HFM can claim years of research behind it. So, I don't see any obvious reason for the cost other than pricing it to compete with the HE1. Then there is the continuing history of quality control issues with HiFiMan. Really, it seems like a very poor value proposition. Of course, one could make that argument for almost anything short of a house costing $50k (I mean, you could get a perfectly good car for half of that). But still, if I were to spend that much money on a headphone system (ha!) why would I buy a system from a company with a history of spotty quality control?

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #65 of 247
All true JimL. If I was buying either 50K HP system, it would be that HE-1. Sennheiser have already proved they can do it (and well) with the original Orpheus, and that held it's value. Can't imagine for one minute the Shangri-La would.

Back to the Stax T8000, I am waiting for some review from members here to have an 'idea'. But I do get your drift if the design is so close to the ok burt not great 727, the price does seem a tad high. Seems the KG DIY amps offer better value in theory.

And the level the Carbon and BHSE get to, is partly the very good power supply amongst other things. I think the swing on the BHSE is 1,600v and the Carbon 1,800? (Clarification required). And the mA on my Carbon is 18mA.

Anyway, I will try and get to hear it soon, so not passing judgement on it till then.

May 8, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #69 of 247
After sleeping on it, I think the problem with this amp is that there's not a lot of apparant remarkable with it. Consider: it uses common tubes, follows the usual Stax chassis style and the circuit seems to be not out of line with their other amps. For nearly $6k we might expect something exceptional. It does have the plug in card option (which they did before as a MC LNA in the CA-Y preamp) and bias warmup circuits (I think was reported in the T2 and elsewhere). The only truly new feature AFAIK is the shielded transformer, which appears to be a low interference toroid anyhow).

Not knocking it but yeah, given the features perhaps sub $3k would seem more appropriate ($4k with daughter card)

May 9, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #70 of 247
Mm..not an expert but what does it matter how they made it when what matters only is how they sound. They can make it out of cotton candy but if the T8K can push my SR 009 to new heights (from the 007tii) then I am sold.

It has to outperform the 007tii and, at least, equal the highly-regarded BHSE. That's my bottom-line. as for the chassis design, I like the small footprint. Less clutter on my desk.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #71 of 247
Mm..not an expert but what does it matter how they made it when what matters only is how they sound. They can make it out of cotton candy but if the T8K can push my SR 009 to new heights (from the 007tii) then I am sold.

It has to outperform the 007tii and, at least, equal the highly-regarded BHSE. That's my bottom-line. as for the chassis design, I like the small footprint. Less clutter on my desk.

Well, that's fine. You can spend your money any way you want. My point is, assuming the other Stax amps are fairly priced, it's hard for me to see why the T8000 is three times the price, it doesn't seem to have three times the content. By contrast, a close look at the chassis and internals of the BHSE and I can see why it would cost three times as much as the previous TOTL Stax amp.

May 11, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #72 of 247
Mm..sorry but I am not technically-minded. It just seems silly to pass judgment (not that I am saying that you are) on the T8K based on the hardware components alone. For me, the only test that matters is performance. I am interested in a shoot-out between the BHSE and the T8K, driving the SR 009 in particular.

May 11, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #73 of 247
I don't know if the SRM-T8000 is targeted to compete with the BHSE. The SRM-T8000 is a hairline cheaper than the BHSE basic (but considerably cheaper by the time one ++ an Alps RK50 pot & whatever fancy feet & decent tubes). I agree the BHSE finish is immaculate however not all high end electrostatic amps have fancy finish - e.g. (No offence to Birgir but...) the Mjolnir amps have pretty basic chassis/looks. Of course naturally we're not talking about sound but until the SRM-T8000 is out, few of us can talk about sound comparisons.

There are other electrostatic amps that have good finish too but I can't speak for their sound as I've not experienced them (not recently anyway)...e.g. The Woo Audio WES, Cavalli Audio Liquid Lightning 2T.

Personally I still have my Eddie Current Electra which I'd be keen to compare with the SRM-T8000. Bear in mind in Japan, I think the SRM-T8000 would do well as the other international option offering simply aren't so easily available - most Japanese are still a try before you buy bricks 'n mortar folks and spending $6000 buying blind online esp something that used to take 2 years to wait is a little risky.

May 11, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #75 of 247
There are other electrostatic amps that have good finish too but I can't speak for their sound as I've not experienced them (not recently anyway)...e.g. The Woo Audio WES, Cavalli Audio Liquid Lightning 2T.

Personally I still have my Eddie Current Electra which I'd be keen to compare with the SRM-T8000. Bear in mind in Japan, I think the SRM-T8000 would do well as the other international option offering simply aren't so easily available - most Japanese are still a try before you buy bricks 'n mortar folks and spending $6000 buying blind online esp something that used to take 2 years to wait is a little risky.

Not to veer too much off topic, but AFAIK, the Cavilli Liquid Lightning and Eddie Current Electra are no longer available, and I haven't heard about any replacements. The WES got a so-so review on InnerFidelity and IMHO, for the price, is not competitive.

Good point about the Japanese market, although I don't think the situation is that much different elsewhere. Ideally you should listen to any component at home before buying, but for most people that's not realistic. Next best is listening at a friend's place, third is listening at a trusted dealer, but in both cases the equipment on hand may be limited, Fourth is listening at a meet, with all the compromises that entails in terms of time, ambient noise, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back