I bought hd 598 and m50x....
Jul 6, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #16 of 47
IMO, you won't get M50x level of bass in an open back headphone. The X2 is open back. I had them. They are quite bassy for an open back, but my 2 big issues with them were comfort (tight clamp) and a certain shrillness or harshness to the treble only evident on some songs. I preferred the M50x to the X2 both in terms of comfort and sound. YMMV.

Have you considered Beyerdynamic DT 770 or DT 990? The DT series are very comfortable IMO. The 770 is closed back and 990 is open. Both have a good amount of bass but maybe not as much as M50x, especially high bass. The 770 being closed back should have better low bass than 990. If you decide to try either of these, I'd stick with 80 Ohm ones or higher. I read that the lower ohm models (16, 32) don't sound quite as good.

I have also heard good things about the Bose Soundtrue Around Ear II, both in terms of sound and comfort, but never heard them myself.

There are many other headphones out there with the bass of the M50x or better, but not many with also the same comfort as 598.

Edit: Forgot one. Sony MDR-1A looks like it might meet your criteria of comfort and bass.

Wow, can't believe I forgot about the Beyerdynamic offerings. The DT990 is the most comfortable pair of headphones I own; the bass and soundstage are both excellent. I think they're very hard to beat under the $150 price range. The midrange is slightly recessed, and some people find their treble too bright; you can take the extra money saved and buy a warm amp.

As a bonus, they're built like tanks. I've had my DT990 for over 3 years and haven't had so much as a hiccup.

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #17 of 47
IMO, you won't get M50x level of bass in an open back headphone. The X2 is open back. I had them. They are quite bassy for an open back, but my 2 big issues with them were comfort (tight clamp) and a certain shrillness or harshness to the treble only evident on some songs. I preferred the M50x to the X2 both in terms of comfort and sound. YMMV.

Have you considered Beyerdynamic DT 770 or DT 990? The DT series are very comfortable IMO. The 770 is closed back and 990 is open. Both have a good amount of bass but maybe not as much as M50x, especially high bass. The 770 being closed back should have better low bass than 990. If you decide to try either of these, I'd stick with 80 Ohm ones or higher. I read that the lower ohm models (16, 32) don't sound quite as good.

I have also heard good things about the Bose Soundtrue Around Ear II, both in terms of sound and comfort, but never heard them myself.

There are many other headphones out there with the bass of the M50x or better, but not many with also the same comfort as 598.

Edit: Forgot one. Sony MDR-1A looks like it might meet your criteria of comfort and bass.

Found the sony mdr 1a fir a great price. Have you tried them yourself and would you recommend?

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #18 of 47
+1 X2. No amp needed, which is nice. I think it sounded nicer than the Beyers, but that's personal preference. I've heard a lot of people say they hear grit, but I didn't hear any in mine, and I'm particularly sensitive to treble. It might be poor QC.

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #19 of 47
+1 X2. No amp needed, which is nice. I think it sounded nicer than the Beyers, but that's personal preference. I've heard a lot of people say they hear grit, but I didn't hear any in mine, and I'm particularly sensitive to treble. It might be poor QC.

im leaning towards mdr 1as because they're closed back

plus theyre $100 less

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #20 of 47
Open back is better for gaming, and music with larger stages. The X2's should be in the same price bracket...

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #24 of 47
I can get the philips L2 for 115 dollars that seems like a steal considering the x2 is more than twice that amount for used x2s. Have you heard the L2s?
That's up to you, from my understanding, the the sound signature is a bit different on them, so if you like warm, and want bass, I still think X2 is the way to go.

Jul 7, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #25 of 47
Found the sony mdr 1a fir a great price. Have yaou tried them yourself and would you recommend?
I have not tried the MDR-1A myself. That recommendation was based on your criteria of good comfort and good bass, and everything I've read about them.

I see a lot of recommendations for X2 here. Those I had, as well as M50x, and the X2, while having more bass than 598, do not have the same level and quality of bass as the M50x. IMO, if you want M50x type bass (both low and punchy), you should go with a closed back can. Also, like I said before, X2 has a tight clamp that I was never able to get loosened while I had them.

Jul 7, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #26 of 47
I have not tried the MDR-1A myself. That recommendation was based on your criteria of good comfort and good bass, and everything I've read about them.

I see a lot of recommendations for X2 here. Those I had, as well as M50x, and the X2, while having more bass than 598, do not have the same level and quality of bass as the M50x. IMO, if you want M50x type bass (both low and punchy), you should go with a closed back can. Also, like I said before, X2 has a tight clamp that I was never able to get loosened while I had them.
I agree with the clamp on the X2, but I found the M50x even tighter clamping. Also, you don't HAVE to have a closed back can for solid bass. It does help to form a seal to provide slam, but there are some GREAT open-back cans with high quality and high impact bass.

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #27 of 47
I agree with the clamp on the X2, but I found the M50x even tighter clamping. Also, you don't HAVE to have a closed back can for solid bass. It does help to form a seal to provide slam, but there are some GREAT open-back cans with high quality and high impact bass.
Such as? Let's not forget the OP's criteria of "comfort of the 598 and bass of the M50x."

Yes, some open backs do provide "solid" bass, but closed backs tend to provide lower extension (it's easier to hear those low bass notes and rumble). There are always exceptions to the rule, but the general rule of thumb is that if you want low and punchy bass, you're likely looking for a closed/sealed can.

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #28 of 47
In the more affordable range? Like the HE400 and HP200, x1, x2, HD650, AKG 7xx. For more money, most of Audeze's line up, especially the LCD2. the DT1990, the Elear, HEX v2, etc.

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #29 of 47
In the more affordable range? Like the HE400 and HP200, x1, x2, HD650, AKG 7xx. For more money, most of Audeze's line up, especially the LCD2. the DT1990, the Elear, HEX v2, etc.
Well, the OP is looking for something around $300. I've owned HE400S, X2, HD 650, and Q701 (the 7xx only has a tiny bit more bass). None of those have the bass of the M50x (X2 being the bassiest of the bunch).

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #30 of 47
Vmoda m100 has good bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back