HTC 11 (aka HTC U 11)
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #467 of 501
This review says (about the U11):

"When it comes to best smartphone speakers, we’d say the speaker (should say "speakers") in the HTC U11 is (are) probably one of the best, if not the best, you’re going to find in today’s flagships."

Again, I don't give 2 cents about it. I rather have a properly functioning 3.5mm than speakers. It is good to know though

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #469 of 501
tfw when sony wins by default because htc opted out of headphone jack. HTC11 has one of the nicest looking backs its a wow amazing kind of look that I thought would be Sony but HTC being more innovative than sony lol.

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #470 of 501
tfw when sony wins by default because htc opted out of headphone jack. HTC11 has one of the nicest looking backs its a wow amazing kind of look that I thought would be Sony but HTC being more innovative than sony lol.

How does Sony win if HTC is being "more innovative"? lol

I actually prefer Sony's back side look to the U11's. I prefer a more matte finish than glossy. I only like glossy on print photos. lol For example, I much prefer the back of the M7/M8/M9/10. I'd rather HTC went back to THAT on the U12/12. 2018 is going to be a very interesting year for both HTC & Sony. HOW interesting depends on how far both are willing to go to CUT THE BULLSHEHT and really innovate and generate increased interest in their respective flagship products. Sony has a lot more catching up to do IMO to beat out HTC though. I hope they do though, but we will see.

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #471 of 501
I honestly like Sony design the best out of all smartphones...including the outdated ancient design of IPhone.....seems like no one is capable of designing an iPhone anymore. However, Sony with their limited bands compatibility to LTE in the US, even unlocked one, it is freaking stupid. All SnapDragon are now global bands compatible, but it is in control from the manufacturers, and Sony chose to stick it up our ends this way. Beside that, Sony has the most advanced mobile camera sensors, but when it is on their phones, it sucks....lately they had been improving it by a huge margin and I like that. Still, the networks compatibility is stupid, and then their interface with slow firmware updates. Hell, HTC has frequent updates, neither Samsung no Sony do it like that.

HTC, you need to bring back the damn 3.5mm.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #472 of 501
How does Sony win if HTC is being "more innovative"? lol

I actually prefer Sony's back side look to the U11's. I prefer a more matte finish than glossy. I only like glossy on print photos. lol For example, I much prefer the back of the M7/M8/M9/10. I'd rather HTC went back to THAT on the U12/12. 2018 is going to be a very interesting year for both HTC & Sony. HOW interesting depends on how far both are willing to go to CUT THE BULLSHEHT and really innovate and generate increased interest in their respective flagship products. Sony has a lot more catching up to do IMO to beat out HTC though. I hope they do though, but we will see.
because they went the apple way and removed the headphone jack man. Sony XZP is still better than htc11 as an overall package. The XZP is the first good phone since the z3 its just that I hope the xz1 is good too. and 2018 when verizon contract ends we can finally get FP scanner out of the box for gods sake.

its almost as if someone really powerful is holding sony back from selling.

oh damn

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #473 of 501
I honestly like Sony design the best out of all smartphones...including the outdated ancient design of IPhone.....seems like no one is capable of designing an iPhone anymore. However, Sony with their limited bands compatibility to LTE in the US, even unlocked one, it is freaking stupid. All SnapDragon are now global bands compatible, but it is in control from the manufacturers, and Sony chose to stick it up our ends this way. Beside that, Sony has the most advanced mobile camera sensors, but when it is on their phones, it sucks....lately they had been improving it by a huge margin and I like that. Still, the networks compatibility is stupid, and then their interface with slow firmware updates. Hell, HTC has frequent updates, neither Samsung no Sony do it like that.

actually you're wrong about this Sony updates are very fast now and they kind of have been for a while now. They are fast to update and are usually smooth and bug free. IF you have GSM network you should be fine with LTE>

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #474 of 501

Whit,

Yeah.............I'm a huge fan of Sony's design and HTC's too. And yes, that issue with the limited bands (read: no VoLTE for U.S. lol) is ridiculous. In 2018 though I've heard that they will be drastically changing things, so hopefully that info I got was true. Something about a 2015 contract with Verizon that's holding them back from further U.S. carrier involvement, having to disable the FS, etc. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Yes, Sony Mobile has been improving on the cameras, but it is odd to me that like Samsung and now HTC have the better rated cameras, and BOTH use Sony's camera sensors. Sony's should LOGICALLY be #1 every year, but it's not. However, hopefully they push it more on future Xperias so they can finally win that title. The fact that the Xperia XZ Premium was rated by Phone Arena as having "Excellent battery life" is very promising at least, considering how downhill they've gone in that category since the Z3. The Xperia X Performance's battery life I had was awful and also rated one of the worst. They need to quit messing around.

Yeah, HTC needs to bring it back. But will they? The new speakers are getting a lot of positive reviews, so I kinda doubt it. lol

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #475 of 501
because they went the apple way and removed the headphone jack man. Sony XZP is still better than htc11 as an overall package. The XZP is the first good phone since the z3 its just that I hope the xz1 is good too. and 2018 when verizon contract ends we can finally get FP scanner out of the box for gods sake.

its almost as if someone really powerful is holding sony back from selling.

oh damn

Yeah so why would you call that being more innovative, man? lol

I dunno about that aertus. XZP still has the headphone jack, but for battery life and camera quality, the U11 is still rated better. The U11's battery life is rated (per Phone Arena) at 9 hrs and 3 min, where the XZP's is 8 hrs and 15 minutes. BOTH are considered "excellent", but still, that's almost an extra hour of battery life. For design I'd give it to the U11 for Edge Sense, but for looks I'd give it to the XZP. The U11 also has VoLTE where the XZP won't with T-Mobile, which IS MY carrier. For audio, sorry, U11 wins there too, for both speakers and headphone audio. I know the speakers everyone is saying sound better than the 10's, and I think headphone audio is at least AS good if not better, even if you have to use that stupid dongle. lol So Sony has A LOT more to prove in 2018 than HTC does IMO. When does the XZ1 come out? Hopefully it's not another stupid phablet. lol

Yeah............it's called their executive team. LOL They have been stupid beyond belief. Even my Z3, being as INCREDIBLE as it was, had that Stamina Mode bug that caused me MANY MANY headaches including a random "battery life freefall" which required a factory reset to fix, and also the MANY MMS texts I did not receive b/c of that issue. I think it's been fixed now though. But stuff like that was both embarrassing to me and it gave Sony Mobile a bad name. Sony Mobile took WAY too long to fix that issue though.

That Pixel 2 XL vid............so only feature to point out is the camera? I was expecting more. The 1st one had kind of a boring look. This one looks a lil better I guess. I'd still never buy it. lol

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #476 of 501
Yeah so why would you call that being more innovative, man? lol

I dunno about that aertus. XZP still has the headphone jack, but for battery life and camera quality, the U11 is still rated better. The U11's battery life is rated (per Phone Arena) at 9 hrs and 3 min, where the XZP's is 8 hrs and 15 minutes. BOTH are considered "excellent", but still, that's almost an extra hour of battery life. For design I'd give it to the U11 for Edge Sense, but for looks I'd give it to the XZP. The U11 also has VoLTE where the XZP won't with T-Mobile, which IS MY carrier. For audio, sorry, U11 wins there too, for both speakers and headphone audio. I know the speakers everyone is saying sound better than the 10's, and I think headphone audio is at least AS good if not better, even if you have to use that stupid dongle. lol So Sony has A LOT more to prove in 2018 than HTC does IMO. When does the XZ1 come out? Hopefully it's not another stupid phablet. lol

Yeah............it's called their executive team. LOL They have been stupid beyond belief. Even my Z3, being as INCREDIBLE as it was, had that Stamina Mode bug that caused me MANY MANY headaches including a random "battery life freefall" which required a factory reset to fix, and also the MANY MMS texts I did not receive b/c of that issue. I think it's been fixed now though. But stuff like that was both embarrassing to me and it gave Sony Mobile a bad name. Sony Mobile took WAY too long to fix that issue though.

That Pixel 2 XL vid............so only feature to point out is the camera? I was expecting more. The 1st one had kind of a boring look. This one looks a lil better I guess. I'd still never buy it. lol
I'm talking about the reflective back ? Because I think it looks stunning in every color

XZP has not been tested by dxomark but thats one thing for sure is that the XZP has the best camera sony has put. It also has a DRAM sensor for 960fps, no rolling shutter. and innovative feature predictive capture. It has quite a bit of features that the HTC11 doesn't have. The reason why sony isn't always number 1 in camera is because of the automatic software. However, once sony figures this out there shouldn't be any phone with better photos. and you can always use manual mode.

Sony also has the better display albeit at the price of having less battery life than the 11. It also has a better overall design and internal managment of componenets. HTC despite its size still didn't manage to put a headphone jack and its not exactly a compact phone.

HTC also opted out of having the 5.0 bluetooth and is using an older bluetooth which is kind of meh for a flagship 2017 and also lower IP rating. Don't get me wrong the HTC would be my second choice but the removal of the headphone jack is kind of a deal breaker and you can't deny thats its a very stupid move no matter how much you like HTC. i've actually seen reviews that say the HTC11 is not an improvement in audio quality over the 10 as far as headphones goes in fact a downgrade. Only the speakers were improved. Oh and btw sony has fixed the loudness of the spakers. MY sony X i have is actually loud which is a miracle since i couldnt hear crap with my older z3c. It took sony ages to fix this issue.

Yeah idk tbh despite it being a good phone I'd say wait for the HTCu12 when they decide to get their senses back and use headphone jack.

XZ1 wont be a phablet it will be the sucessor to the xz 5.2 inch. There are rumors it might have new aspect ratio.

I linked that video because I thought for once the pixel 2 actually looks pretty damn good compared to the ugliness the pixel was.

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #477 of 501
I'm talking about the reflective back ? Because I think it looks stunning in every color

XZP has not been tested by dxomark but thats one thing for sure is that the XZP has the best camera sony has put. It also has a DRAM sensor for 960fps, no rolling shutter. and innovative feature predictive capture. It has quite a bit of features that the HTC11 doesn't have. The reason why sony isn't always number 1 in camera is because of the automatic software. However, once sony figures this out there shouldn't be any phone with better photos. and you can always use manual mode.

Sony also has the better display albeit at the price of having less battery life than the 11. It also has a better overall design and internal managment of componenets. HTC despite its size still didn't manage to put a headphone jack and its not exactly a compact phone.

HTC also opted out of having the 5.0 bluetooth and is using an older bluetooth which is kind of meh for a flagship 2017 and also lower IP rating. Don't get me wrong the HTC would be my second choice but the removal of the headphone jack is kind of a deal breaker and you can't deny thats its a very stupid move no matter how much you like HTC. i've actually seen reviews that say the HTC11 is not an improvement in audio quality over the 10 as far as headphones goes in fact a downgrade. Only the speakers were improved. Oh and btw sony has fixed the loudness of the spakers. MY sony X i have is actually loud which is a miracle since i couldnt hear **** with my older z3c. It took sony ages to fix this issue.

Yeah idk tbh despite it being a good phone I'd say wait for the HTCu12 when they decide to get their senses back and use headphone jack.

XZ1 wont be a phablet it will be the sucessor to the xz 5.2 inch. There are rumors it might have new aspect ratio.

I linked that video because I thought for once the pixel 2 actually looks pretty damn good compared to the ugliness the pixel was.

I like it too, but I can't say I love it (reflective U11 back). But that's my opinion. I just prefer the matte finish of the previous HTC flagships and even Sony Xperia line.

Yeah but you shouldn't HAVE to use Manual Mode. I did on my Z3, but at this point Sony should've mastered Automatic by now. I guess I just expect more of them considering they ARE Sony.

Ok I'll give you compactness of Sony but not sure on screen. HTC 10 screen I have is f'ing great.

I could care less on Bluetooth. And I'm only Audiophile LITE. lol

Yeah ok IP rating goes to Sony. Though U11 is IP68, so that's been corrected.

U11 is worse on headphone audio? I dunno, I'm still not sure on that. Reviews have been more focused on speakers. So far it seemed overall that U11 was at least as good as 10 on headphone sound quality. Phone Arena shows that the XZP's headphone audio is still VERY low though speaker volume is great though still not #1. So ok I'll give you that. But I care A LOT more about headphone volume these days, and I'm sorry, 0.36 volts isn't gonna power sheht. lol

ScreenShot002.jpg

Yeah Pixel 2 is nicer looking.

Ok nice on XZ1 not being a phablet. When does it come out though?

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #478 of 501
I like it too, but I can't say I love it (reflective U11 back). But that's my opinion. I just prefer the matte finish of the previous HTC flagships and even Sony Xperia line.

Yeah but you shouldn't HAVE to use Manual Mode. I did on my Z3, but at this point Sony should've mastered Automatic by now. I guess I just expect more of them considering they ARE Sony.

Ok I'll give you compactness of Sony but not sure on screen. HTC 10 screen I have is f'ing great.

I could care less on Bluetooth. And I'm only Audiophile LITE. lol

Yeah ok IP rating goes to Sony. Though U11 is IP68, so that's been corrected.

U11 is worse on headphone audio? I dunno, I'm still not sure on that. Reviews have been more focused on speakers. So far it seemed overall that U11 was at least as good as 10 on headphone sound quality. Phone Arena shows that the XZP's headphone audio is still VERY low though speaker volume is great though still not #1. So ok I'll give you that. But I care A LOT more about headphone volume these days, and I'm sorry, 0.36 volts isn't gonna power sheht. lol

Yeah Pixel 2 is nicer looking.

Ok nice on XZ1 not being a phablet. When does it come out though?
aesthetically the reflective back looks nicer but practicality the matter back of the HTC and Xperia XZ is better. It depends on what you value I suppose.

Actually I wouldn't expect anything software from Sony. Sony has always been traditionally a hardware company there is no doubt they have the best image sensors but sony has to adapt to the modern world of software and they are slowly doing that. heck they are helping google with android O which means they have adapted. They just need to tackle image software. the AUTO mode is way better than the z3 btw.

Screen is definitely better on Sony. HTC uses JDI as supplier of their IPS panels ofc sony will be have the better model because they are partial owners of the company. 4k HDR screen is a no brainer superior to HTCu11 which doesnt even support HDR. Not saying its bad though but the Sony has a slight edge.

well its nice to have good bluetooth it uses less battery when you do use it.

The U11 is not ip68 its ip 67. and the htc10 is nowhere near that.

yeah headphone output is low on Sony they need to fix that. but again no hadphone jack on HTC11 is a big deal breaker for me and most people. There is no denying it was stupid to follow apple on this.

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #479 of 501
aesthetically the reflective back looks nicer but practicality the matter back of the HTC and Xperia XZ is better. It depends on what you value I suppose.

Actually I wouldn't expect anything software from Sony. Sony has always been traditionally a hardware company there is no doubt they have the best image sensors but sony has to adapt to the modern world of software and they are slowly doing that. heck they are helping google with android O which means they have adapted. They just need to tackle image software. the AUTO mode is way better than the z3 btw.

Screen is definitely better on Sony. HTC uses JDI as supplier of their IPS panels ofc sony will be have the better model because they are partial owners of the company. 4k HDR screen is a no brainer superior to HTCu11 which doesnt even support HDR. Not saying its bad though but the Sony has a slight edge.

well its nice to have good bluetooth it uses less battery when you do use it.

The U11 is not ip68 its ip 67. and the htc10 is nowhere near that.

yeah headphone output is low on Sony they need to fix that. but again no hadphone jack on HTC11 is a big deal breaker for me and most people. There is no denying it was stupid to follow apple on this.

Yeah.

Yeah my X Performance's camera's auto camera was definitely better than my Z3's. Yes, Sony needs to ADAPT to a LOT of things! lol

Ok on screen I thought you were just saying in general, not specifically the XZP. So ok for screen, Sony's XZP takes the win over HTC.

Yeah. I rarely use BT though, but ok. HTC should've included it.

Ok IP 67. I checked another site and it said 68. But GSM Arena & Phone Arena say, 67 so ok.

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #480 of 501
Finally got a chance to visit my local Sprint Store so I could check out the U11. Overall, it was pretty impressive. I really like how you can use Edge Sense to start the camera, though I wish you could also "squeeze" the phone to snap a picture too (didn't see that option, though this demo model may not have been updated?). The sapphire blue color is stunning in person, though I still feel a matte finish would look nicer. The phone overall was very fast and the speakers did get pretty loud from what little brief testing I did. I'm still happy I stuck with my 10, but the U11 is a great phone for sure. As anyone on here done a 10 vs. U11 headphone audio quality comparison yet? I can't remember now. But if not, that would be great to see posted on here!

I meant to ask someone there how well the U11 was selling, but I was never approached by any sales people as it was actually pretty busy in there (even though I think Sprint sux, so I was surprised to see this lol). I'm guessing better than the 10 since I'd read somewhere a month ago (and I think I posted here too) that the U11 has ALREADY sold more units than the M9 and the 10 combined. I hope HTC takes this money and invests in R&D so to continue to innovate and offer competitive features against their rivals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back