= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 21, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #17,867 of 21,175
Just got the Dekoni TH900 fenestrated in yesterday. Extremely comfortable and I'm loving the nice change in sound I'm getting. Compared to the focus-a, these do imaging better. Blacker background between instruments. A little bump in slam and soundstage. The comfort alone is absolutely worth $60 shipped.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #17,868 of 21,175
Same grill mod on mine bro. Lol. What position Dave, does the fat part of your pads sit on your 560's? Mine sit around 7:00. Just curious. The last pic above looks around 9.
The fat part of the pads are in the 8-9 o'clock area. I do have some sheep skin Dekoni TH900 pads that I got for my Stax SRD-34 (modded to fit Hifiman pads) and TH600 but I guess I can try them on the HE560 one of these days.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #17,869 of 21,175
The dekonis seem to be all the rave these days. I gave it a shot based on comparisons, and I'm pretty happy. Went with the fenestrated because I was worried the regular ones would enhance the treble and kill the bass. I still may try them though.
The fat part of the pads are in the 8-9 o'clock area. I do have some sheep skin Dekoni TH900 pads that I got for my Stax SRD-34 (modded to fit Hifiman pads) and TH600 but I guess I can try them on the HE560 one of these days.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #17,870 of 21,175
I had a listen to a friends HE400i with the Dekoni TH900 sheep skin pads and they gave the HE400i a slight better sound stage and bass but as you noted the highs were also a bit more forward too. A trade off in a way, but have I think I'll give them a try on my HE560 this weekend when I have some free time.

Jul 22, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #17,873 of 21,175
Good afternoon all, I was wondering where I could find Earpads that fit the He-560 without changing the sound too much from the stock version. After going through 3 sets of 560 Earpads (all which began to open where the pads are glued) I can say that I'm never purchasing another hifiman Earpad again, the build quality is nothing short of pathetic (not sure whos "bright idea" it was to use the glue that they use to hold things together), they are comfortable though. I baby my sound equipment and have gone through 3 pairs in the span of about a year it's very frustrating to say the least. If there are no other solid alternatives then I'll cut my loses and begin looking for another headphone. I like the sound but these poorly made pads are a nuisance especially considering the fact that the 560's Earpads aren't exactly the easiest pads to install. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #17,874 of 21,175
Good afternoon all, I was wondering where I could find Earpads that fit the He-560 without changing the sound too much from the stock version. After going through 3 sets of 560 Earpads (all which began to open where the pads are glued) I can say that I'm never purchasing another hifiman Earpad again, the build quality is nothing short of pathetic (not sure whos "bright idea" it was to use the glue that they use to hold things together), they are comfortable though. I baby my sound equipment and have gone through 3 pairs in the span of about a year it's very frustrating to say the least. If there are no other solid alternatives then I'll cut my loses and begin looking for another headphone. I like the sound but these poorly made pads are a nuisance especially considering the fact that the 560's Earpads aren't exactly the easiest pads to install. Thanks in advance.

You could try the round Brainwavz HM5 pads. I was trying them out on both my HE400i and HE560 yesterday and while I thought they added some air and soundstage width on the HE400i I didn't really notice any changes to the sound on the HE560 with them. They fit well on the Hifiman mounting rings and are easy to install.

Interestingly enough I found them to increase comfort on the HE400i but not on the HE560. My HE400i are older and has a lot more usage than my HE560 so that might be the explanation for the difference.

Good luck!

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #17,875 of 21,175
While I don't know if they will last longer than the Focus pads, I just got some Dekoni sheep skin pads for my Stax SRD-34 but tried them on my HE560 just now, they are more comfortable at first but don't breath as well so they get hot after an hour or two. They also seem to kill the bass a bit but installing the attenuation rings seems to get them back almost to the Focus pads. I don't think these Dekoni pads are worth the cost, even from Massdrop they are $50 IIRC.

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #17,876 of 21,175
Thanks for the replies thus far.

@peter123: Are these the Brainwavz pads you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894

Also, are these pads glued or stiched in? I'm just curious because it was the glue that kept failing on my 560 Earpads, I wished they were stiched in vs the cheap glue Hifiman uses.

Lastly, you said that these pads didn't change the sound on your 560s, which 560 pads were you comparing them to? I've used both the Focus A and Focus pads and have noticed differences in the sound of the two.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #17,877 of 21,175
I got these HM5 pads for my HE-5LE and I really liked them:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A2XYIDHW2C10EQ

I found they were an extreme pain in the butt to install on the plastic rings without breaking them, but once they're on, they look stock. Comfort was improved, the look and feel of the phone was improved. I found them to be a tad warmer, but no big deal. Sound wise, I think they produced a slightly softer, warmer, more analogue character. Good with some stuff, takes the edge off other things. Over all, not a huge difference and I got used to it pretty quickly. I'd planed to switch back and fourth with the original pads and try to really compare them carefully... But it was too much trouble, the sound was a little different but not bad, and they were comfy. I really haven't even thought about pad rolling at all, after the first few days. That was some time again.

Anyway, hi guys! My HE-5LE just died for the 3rd time. So, while I wait for HiFiMan to get back to me with a shipping label and instructions, I pulled the trigger on the HE560 during the sale. I will probably be trying out the HM5 pads on those too!

I really like the 5LE's energy, punchy bass and highs. They have a nice, wide sound stage, instrument separation, and they just give sounds a more three-dimensional feel than any of my dynamic phones. In spite of having to send them out for replacement periodically, they've been very good to me and I use them all the time! In total, I'm sure a set of 5LE's have been on my head for many thousands of hours. The only gripe I have is the recessed mids. And its more that I'm ADD and have a hard time with vocals if they aren't really clear, front row center, than it is with how they actually sound. Reviews of the 560 are all over the place. My general impression is that should be technically better "in every way," but slightly more neutral and better mids\vocals in particular. Although I'm a bass head buy most of your guys' standards (electronic and heavy metal are my two go-to genres) I prefer quality over quantity and the 5LE's deliver! I don't mind that the 560 might be more neutral, as I also listen to very wide variety of music and these are also described as having extreme detail. An area where the 5LE is very good of course, but could always be improved upon. Less so lately, but in general, I play a lot of games with my phones too. So that extra detail and sound stage is welcome if the imaging is any better. As long as they aren't laid back, I should be set.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #17,878 of 21,175
Maybe @ThurstonX will chime in. He currently has both cans, along with the HE500's.
I got these HM5 pads for my HE-5LE and I really liked them:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A2XYIDHW2C10EQ

I found they were an extreme pain in the butt to install on the plastic rings without breaking them, but once they're on, they look stock. Comfort was improved, the look and feel of the phone was improved. I found them to be a tad warmer, but no big deal. Sound wise, I think they produced a slightly softer, warmer, more analogue character. Good with some stuff, takes the edge off other things. Over all, not a huge difference and I got used to it pretty quickly. I'd planed to switch back and fourth with the original pads and try to really compare them carefully... But it was too much trouble, the sound was a little different but not bad, and they were comfy. I really haven't even thought about pad rolling at all, after the first few days. That was some time again.

Anyway, hi guys! My HE-5LE just died for the 3rd time. So, while I wait for HiFiMan to get back to me with a shipping label and instructions, I pulled the trigger on the HE560 during the sale. I will probably be trying out the HM5 pads on those too!

I really like the 5LE's energy, punchy bass and highs. They have a nice, wide sound stage, instrument separation, and they just give sounds a more three-dimensional feel than any of my dynamic phones. In spite of having to send them out for replacement periodically, they've been very good to me and I use them all the time! In total, I'm sure a set of 5LE's have been on my head for many thousands of hours. The only gripe I have is the recessed mids. And its more that I'm ADD and have a hard time with vocals if they aren't really clear, front row center, than it is with how they actually sound. Reviews of the 560 are all over the place. My general impression is that should be technically better "in every way," but slightly more neutral and better mids\vocals in particular. Although I'm a bass head buy most of your guys' standards (electronic and heavy metal are my two go-to genres) I prefer quality over quantity and the 5LE's deliver! I don't mind that the 560 might be more neutral, as I also listen to very wide variety of music and these are also described as having extreme detail. An area where the 5LE is very good of course, but could always be improved upon. Less so lately, but in general, I play a lot of games with my phones too. So that extra detail and sound stage is welcome if the imaging is any better. As long as they aren't laid back, I should be set.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #17,879 of 21,175
I just received my 560s, and wonder if HFM build quality has been improving. I went through 3 sets a year and a half ago to find a clean pair, and eventually gave up. I'm pretty impressed with the build quality on the pair I got now. The 560s I just received are 6/2017 build date for anyone wondering.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #17,880 of 21,175
Congrats Zack I say you'll be very happy with the 560's their very spacious is their presentation also quite accurate and at this sale price you can't go wrong. I think they have an exceptional sq about them..enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back