Hifiman Edition X
Apr 24, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #2,746 of 4,030
  ^I posted about that piercing 8Khz peak in the previous page. If you search this page another guy had the same problem.
HEX is one of the more piercing and irritating headphones for me out there. Not even THX00, Ether Flow has this physically painful 8k peak that makes the HEX unusable after a couple hours. 

I have since moved onto the LCD 3.

I did try the HEX with Mojo initially and it doesn't help

Mate, I find the HEX 2 to be the least "8khz"-y can I have heard.  HD600's? certainly yes.  HD800's?  ooh yes.  Ether Flows are neutral, but no spikes in there, not with Dan the speaker man around.  :)  I do not like a "hot", top end at all, and have consider most headphones to be "bad" for this reason.  I generally hang out elsewhere on the forum, and to each their own...   To me, a good headphone can be listened to at all levels, from super soft to almost too loud with a nice buttery presentation.  This is why I like the hex 2.  IMO, Zack's (ZMF) cans also have the butter.  the new aeons have some too (but I want more time with those before I talk)...

As I have asserted elsewhere on the thread, the depth and breadth inside the hex cups is ridiculously lush, mellow, and extended.  :)  Cheers! 

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #2,747 of 4,030

^I posted about that piercing 8Khz peak in the previous page. If you search this page another guy had the same problem.
HEX is one of the more piercing and irritating headphones for me out there. Not even THX00, Ether Flow has this physically painful 8k peak that makes the HEX unusable after a couple hours. 

I have since moved onto the LCD 3.

I did try the HEX with Mojo initially and it doesn't help

Mate, I find the HEX 2 to be the least "8khz"-y can I have heard.  HD600's? certainly yes.  HD800's?  ooh yes.  Ether Flows are neutral, but no spikes in there, not with Dan the speaker man around.  :)  I do not like a "hot", top end at all, and have consider most headphones to be "bad" for this reason.  I generally hang out elsewhere on the forum, and to each their own...   To me, a good headphone can be listened to at all levels, from super soft to almost too loud with a nice buttery presentation.  This is why I like the hex 2.  IMO, Zack's (ZMF) cans also have the butter.  the new aeons have some too (but I want more time with those before I talk)...

As I have asserted elsewhere on the thread, the depth and breadth inside the hex cups is ridiculously lush, mellow, and extended.  :)  Cheers! 

Yes I have listened to ZMF's new dynamics and the Ether Flows. They have smooth Treble. I have noticed that older people usually don't hear this 8kHz peak of the HEX v2, only the younger ones do.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #2,748 of 4,030
You can't EQ tidal on cellphone. In destop I use APO Equilizer

What is a good equalizer for Tidal

Don't use tidal, but i would have thought that it would be possible to eq on an android phone if using uapp as the streaming app. Don't know about Apple.

Also thought I'd mention amarra for tidal does supply a visual eq on any phone the app can be hosted on (with your tidal subscription).  I don't care for it, but it can be good to know.   Roon may have a dsp that could be useful, though I wouldn't try too hard to get it all to work on the phone - the desktop version is much beefier.  This said, if I want EQ or compression on a track that just isn't cutting it, I usually go all the way to soundflower internal re-route --> reaper or logic X as a DAW with VST support --> NI or built-in visual EQ --> NI buss comp -->  back out to my ears.  I don't do this often, but can be OK for terrible ancient master jobs.   

Edit for above comment, FWIW:
I am 20.  
atsmile.gif
   Some cans are just not good for some ears- good thing you have the leeway in this price arena to find a better fit. 

Apr 25, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #2,749 of 4,030
  Yes I have listened to ZMF's new dynamics and the Ether Flows. They have smooth Treble. I have noticed that older people usually don't hear this 8kHz peak of the HEX v2, only the younger ones do.

Having a head of white hair (at least it's all there still)  I can attest to the fact that your ability to hear a full frequency range in your later years is impacted.  I started to use headphones because of mildly diminished hearing.  Although the very high frequencies are beyond my range it still doesn't affect my ability to hear my available range critically.  I can discern a poor recording or poor equipment not giving me the quality of sound that I can enjoy.  I've never found the HEX V2 to be peaky in presentation.  Being cynical I don't believe anyone can identify a frequency specific anomaly.  Our ears aren't scopes.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #2,750 of 4,030
I just got mine in yesterday, I have V1 and found that they are a bit too big for me. Is there a mod I can do to make them fit a bit better? Like headband padding or something similar?

By the way, I am completely in love with this headphones!

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #2,752 of 4,030
Not to be a dick, but does this thread really belong in the summit-fi forum? I've listened to Edition X twice now, and its SQ really felt more like a mid-fi can, an HE-560, HD650, K712, EL-8-level sound.

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #2,753 of 4,030
Not to be a dick, but does this thread really belong in the summit-fi forum? I've listened to Edition X twice now, and its SQ really felt more like a mid-fi can, an HE-560, HD650, K712, EL-8-level sound.

I have an EL-8 open back as well as HEX and no it's not even close to the HEX. I'm perfectly pleased with the SQ. I've spent time listening to the HEK's and I'm not blown away to the point that I would replace my HEX with them. I am looking some other HP's but not to replace just to complement.

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #2,755 of 4,030

For me the HE-560 is very above the other headphones you cited.

In your experience, how does the HEX compare with the Focal Elears? I mostly listen to these genres: jazz, hip-hop, r and b, and acapella vocals, and I'm wondering which headphone would better suit these needs.

I don't listened to this headphones, but based on what I've read about they, the HEX have a better soundstage and imagine, what is better for jazz, maybe (?) capella vocals too. Hip-hop, r and b are genres who need bass, idk about the bass of Elear, but people here are very satisfied with the bass (quantity and quality) of HEX.

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #2,756 of 4,030
For me the HE-560 is very above the other headphones you cited.

I don't listened to this headphones, but based on what I've read about they, the HEX have a better soundstage and imagine, what is better for jazz, maybe (?) capella vocals too. Hip-hop, r and b are genres who need bass, idk about the bass of Elear, but people here are very satisfied with the bass (quantity and quality) of HEX.

I listen to a fair amount of Jazz with the HEX's and I like the balanced, smooth and detailed presentation. I like
Female vocals and these excell at that.

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #2,757 of 4,030
HEX is one of the best headphones in the world for female vocals.

May 4, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #2,758 of 4,030
I purchased Edition X V2 and one thing worry me. The right driver looks smooth but the left one looks different. It's surface is not smooth. It looks different with some irregular wrongs, perhaps? I don't know if this is a problem or a common thing. I'm just curios if I should send it back for a replacement pair. The headphones sound good, I can't hear the problem, but still ... Can someone explain if it is a fault?

May 24, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #2,760 of 4,030
Hi all,
I just bought an HEX V2, my goal is now to find out a DAC/amp to combine with the HP.
I read hundreds of posts, but I still didn't find the proper answer to what I am looking for. I need a DAc with optical in, and an amp wiht analog in (cd player+turntable).
I know that with the HEX I don't need so much power, and that's exaclty my concern. Indeed reading the qoute of Dr. fang “Don’t use amps with more than 1W to drive them or else they will distort. I’ve seen people use EF6 to drive them which is silly…” makes me worring that the Magni 2 uber could provide too much power to the HP (Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.5W RMS per channel
).
The output impendence looks good for a planar magnetic, and also in combi with the dac has a total price which is reasonable.
do you think the amp provides too much power to drive the HP?
In case do you have something else to suggest? f.i. Aune X1s?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back