Headamp Pico Power Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #376 of 437
Please forgive for not reading through the whole thread, but can anyone help to point to any comparison to the RSA balance amps ( Intruder, SR71b) etc.

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #380 of 437
Has anyone besides Currawong compared the Pico Power to the O2?

Yep. Didn't care for the O2 - went immediately back. Harsh and sibilent, at least with my setup and ears. Pico Power is just in a different league. Much more neutral with more "authority" and control over the lower registers. Drives my HE400s better than any of the portables I have tested. Your mileage may vary.....

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #381 of 437

Has anyone besides Currawong compared the Pico Power to the O2?

Yep. Didn't care for the O2 - went immediately back. Harsh and sibilent, at least with my setup and ears. Pico Power is just in a different league. Much more neutral with more "authority" and control over the lower registers. Drives my HE400s better than any of the portables I have tested. Your mileage may vary.....

Did you try it with any other headphones or just the orthos?

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #382 of 437
Did you try it with any other headphones or just the orthos?

Yes, Senn HD25's. To be fair, I didn't listen a lot. It was one of those "ugh" this really doesn't sound good listening sessions. Thought something might he wrong with it and sent it back the next day. Tested fine and checked out at the manufacturer. It's a popular amp just didn't work for me. :)

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #386 of 437
I have not heard it I have the pico slim is it kinda like that very neutral not coloured but lots of power? I was very impressed with the pico slim I use it for iems only so it suits me very well but built quality is great digital volume chip is perfection size is crazy. I imagine the pico power is all the but larger.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #387 of 437
I have not heard it I have the pico slim is it kinda like that very neutral not coloured but lots of power? I was very impressed with the pico slim I use it for iems only so it suits me very well but built quality is great digital volume chip is perfection size is crazy. I imagine the pico power is all the but larger.

Around 2.5 times bigger I think but the Power has very nice sound quality and a step up for sure from the Pico Slim.  Size & volume control wise, nothing beats the Pico Slim.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #388 of 437
I miss my Pico Power but I dream of a balanced version that still somehow would run on 9V batteries.
I love the 9V power source.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #389 of 437
I was first on the waiting list so got one of the first ones out. Used it today as a matter of fact. It is a great amp. Gotta say though that it is my back up at this point because i just got the Hugo dac/amp which is an awesome combo, better than my home set up dac wise and amp is robust too. Of course the price is huge, more six times as expensive as the Pico Power. So, if i wasn't crazy i'd have just stayed with the CLAS or AK120 and the Pico Power but ya know……..
redface.gif
 in for a dime, in for a dollar in this hobby i guess.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #390 of 437
DAPs have taken all the focus from portable amps lately, but there is still a place for amps I reckon, such as with the cheaper DAPs that aren't so great with full-sized headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back