Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Feb 3, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #3,616 of 3,700
Litz copper sounds very good in interconnects, acss or balanced. I am sold to it. No skin effect, so the sound is clearer, more transprent, very evenly balanced. It is quite hard to solder however so for my amp projects, i use solid core occ instead..

So I've read.
I am buying it. It seems very promising - 84  litz copper strands/core, 4 cores, OFC [well, 99.7% purity is good enough for me :p] only 11 pf of capacitance, silk wrapped, 19AWG... And for a very good price!
I'll report back on it when I get it but this is promising 
popcorn.gif

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #3,617 of 3,700
  Thanks for the tip but I am not ready to spend that kind of money for a cable yet 
smily_headphones1.gif

I just bought a Copper Colour Penny V power cable [which is my first foray into aftermarket cable] for about 80$ and I'll compare that to a generic power cord.
I'll also be upgrading my headphone cable very soon [to a Copper Litz] so let's see whether that does something,
Right now I am curiously skeptical but if I hear improvement I'll invest more into other cableage 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sorry meant to say  - it doesn't make it any less warm.  You're not alone in the skeptics group on cables - but just one hearing on what these remarkable graphene cables sound like you would be convinced.  It seem to pair especailly well with the Breeze - a powerful combo

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #3,618 of 3,700
Sorry meant to say  - it doesn't make it any less warm.  You're not alone in the skeptics group on cables - but just one hearing on what these remarkable graphene cables sound like you would be convinced.  It seem to pair especailly well with the Breeze - a powerful combo

I will be open to anything. Hearing is believing :)
Even entry level audiophile cable shoould bring sonical differences in the less positive and improvements in the best scenario :)
I will happily be convinced if I hear a chsnge.

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #3,619 of 3,700
Very interesting product. I will use it for my waveio project if it is as good in practice as on paper.

I ordered two today after reading a review on the iPhono and how the new 1uV iPower made such a major difference in SQ (and now I want a iPhono too!) - a 9VDC for my Wyrd for Sound Remedy and a 5VDC to try on the DXIO. 

Anyone try a iFi iUSB3.0?  USB Isolation, and filtering in the extreme - esp driven by the new iPower!

Total USB Solution+® banishes ALL USB audio gremlins
UTSM.png

The micro iUSB3.0 addresses all 8 significant USB audio gremlins that lead to poor
quality computer audio in one fell swoop:
• Corrects signal balance
• Suppresses frame noise
• Suppresses packet noise
• Ultra clean power
• Eliminates ground noise
• Corrects impedance mis-match
• Eliminates USB Jitter
• Restores signal integrity
Where many of USB audio’s short comings are not considered, iFi has already solved them.

All-new, tack sharp technology
Micro-iUSB3-06.691.png

The noise floor of the micro iUSB3.0 has been improved upon and is an astonishing 0.1uV (or 0.0000001V). This is at the edge of what is measurable – even the mighty Audio Precision only just about manages to measure the micro iUSB3.0.
miusb3.jpg

Active Noise Cancellation +® drawn from military radar technology
ANC-.png

Drawing from the military field (specifically the Thales Spectra radar cancellation system deployed in the French Dassault Rafale jet fighter), iFi adapted this technology to exclusively introduce the Active Noise Cancellation+ ® (ANC+®) audio power system. It is so revolutionary that the ANC technology is now a cornerstone of the ever-improving iFi USB audio technology range.
ANC2.png

An air defence radar is transmitting at a certain frequency; the signal is bouncing off the aircraft; a receiver on board the aircraft picks up the signal and a computer analyses its base frequency/modulations and an identical, out-of-phase signal is generated by an onboard system to cancel out the enemy radar signal.
By generating a signal identical to the noise signal but in the exact opposite phase, it actively cancels all the incoming noise. ANC+® is the perfect ‘antidote’ for power supply noise, the bane of USB audio.
ANC-3.png

With ANC+® the power line is filtered for audio band and RF noise. The measured noise floor of 0.1uV (0.0000001V) is at the measurement limit of what even the most sophisticated Audio Precision equipment is capable of.
Measured noise drops by 100 times or 40dB in comparison to the common noise filters.
Sonically, the background and inner resolution to recordings is brought to the fore and no longer hidden. Sonics are much smoother, just like how good analogue should be. Nothing comes close.

A whole new signal: REclock® /REgenerate
RE2.png

The micro iUSB 3.0 re-clocks/re-generates/repeats USB audio datastream. For any and every downstream DAC, REgenerate creates an all new USB signal and then employed a precision master clock with the REclock® technology to completely eliminate computer jitter. Music flows better; is cleaner, deeper and more accurate, just like the real thing.

The signal is now balanced: REbalance®
REbalance.png

USB signal is inherently a balanced signal, however most USB signals are unbalanced to some degree and contaminated by noise. By removing the DC offset and ‘re-balancing’ the USB audio signal, it is now perfectly balanced and noise-free.
The graph below on the left shows a typical USB signal that is poor. Virtually everything about the signal is out of kilter. The graph below on the right shows how EACH different feature of the iUSB3.0 corrects the USB audio signal. All combined, the signal is brought back to a near ‘perfect’ form. This shows the important to have each and every REclock®/REgenerate®/REbalance® feature.
EyePattern.jpg

The future is here: USB3.0® ultra-speed 5.0 Gbps
5.0gbps.png

iFi products are cutting-edge in the future of audio. Being USB3.0 standard, the micro iUSB3.0 handles USB3.0 and USB2.0 with aplomb. As audio signal quality improves, USB3.0’s ultra-speed bandwidth of 5.0Gbps offers an incredibly wide bandwidth that is 10x that of USB2.0’s 480Mbps.
Hence, the micro iUSB3.0 handles ultra-high resolution audio without restriction. For now and many years to come, the micro iUSB3.0 will remain an integral component.

Computer Audio ‘IsoGround®’ and ‘On/Auto’
Isoearth.png

The ground connection on the computer is contaminated with noise. The original micro iUSB cleverly solved this issue with IsoGround® without falling foul of the USB standard (simply breaking the computer ground connection is NOT USB compliant and often results in USB connection problems). The new micro iUSB3.0 features not only this but also ‘Auto/On’ USB power line options to further enhance the user experience.

USB Hub 2xDual-Ports® just add DAC and HDD
BC1.2-2.5A_V3.jpg

iusb3.02.png

We like to try not only forensically but also comprehensively. With two sets of Dual-Ports, the micro iUSB3.0 operates as a computer audiophile-grade powered hub to serve two devices such as DAC and HDD. This means the whole complete computer audio is whisper quiet as noise from one source does not contaminate another.
With modern power-hungry devices, the micro iUSB3.0 is also Bus Charge 1.2 compliant which means it is able to fast-charge phones, tablets and even the phenomenal micro iDSD.

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #3,620 of 3,700
I ordered two today after reading a review on the iPhono and how the new 1uV iPower made such a major difference in SQ (and now I want a iPhono too!) - a 9VDC for my Wyrd for Sound Remedy and a 5VDC to try on the DXIO. 

Anyone try a iFi iUSB3.0?  USB Isolation, and filtering in the extreme - esp driven by the new iPower!

UTSM.png

The micro iUSB3.0 addresses all 8 significant USB audio gremlins that lead to poor

• Suppresses frame noise

• Ultra clean power

• Eliminates USB Jitter

Where many of USB audio’s short comings are not considered, iFi has already solved them.

Micro-iUSB3-06.691.png

The noise floor of the micro iUSB3.0 has been improved upon and is an astonishing 0.1uV (or 0.0000001V). This is at the edge of what is measurable – even the mighty Audio Precision only just about manages to measure the micro iUSB3.0.

miusb3.jpg

ANC-.png

Drawing from the military field (specifically the Thales Spectra radar cancellation system deployed in the French Dassault Rafale jet fighter), iFi adapted this technology to exclusively introduce the Active Noise Cancellation+ ® (ANC+®) audio power system. It is so revolutionary that the ANC technology is now a cornerstone of the ever-improving iFi USB audio technology range.

ANC2.png

An air defence radar is transmitting at a certain frequency; the signal is bouncing off the aircraft; a receiver on board the aircraft picks up the signal and a computer analyses its base frequency/modulations and an identical, out-of-phase signal is generated by an onboard system to cancel out the enemy radar signal.

By generating a signal identical to the noise signal but in the exact opposite phase, it actively cancels all the incoming noise. ANC+® is the perfect ‘antidote’ for power supply noise, the bane of USB audio.

ANC-3.png

With ANC+® the power line is filtered for audio band and RF noise. The measured noise floor of 0.1uV (0.0000001V) is at the measurement limit of what even the most sophisticated Audio Precision equipment is capable of.

Measured noise drops by 100 times or 40dB in comparison to the common noise filters.

Sonically, the background and inner resolution to recordings is brought to the fore and no longer hidden. Sonics are much smoother, just like how good analogue should be. Nothing comes close.

RE2.png

The micro iUSB 3.0 re-clocks/re-generates/repeats USB audio datastream. For any and every downstream DAC, REgenerate creates an all new USB signal and then employed a precision master clock with the REclock® technology to completely eliminate computer jitter. Music flows better; is cleaner, deeper and more accurate, just like the real thing.

REbalance.png

USB signal is inherently a balanced signal, however most USB signals are unbalanced to some degree and contaminated by noise. By removing the DC offset and ‘re-balancing’ the USB audio signal, it is now perfectly balanced and noise-free.

The graph below on the left shows a typical USB signal that is poor. Virtually everything about the signal is out of kilter. The graph below on the right shows how EACH different feature of the iUSB3.0 corrects the USB audio signal. All combined, the signal is brought back to a near ‘perfect’ form. This shows the important to have each and every REclock®/REgenerate®/REbalance® feature.

EyePattern.jpg

5.0gbps.png

iFi products are cutting-edge in the future of audio. Being USB3.0 standard, the micro iUSB3.0 handles USB3.0 and USB2.0 with aplomb. As audio signal quality improves, USB3.0’s ultra-speed bandwidth of 5.0Gbps offers an incredibly wide bandwidth that is 10x that of USB2.0’s 480Mbps.

Hence, the micro iUSB3.0 handles ultra-high resolution audio without restriction. For now and many years to come, the micro iUSB3.0 will remain an integral component.

Isoearth.png

The ground connection on the computer is contaminated with noise. The original micro iUSB cleverly solved this issue with IsoGround® without falling foul of the USB standard (simply breaking the computer ground connection is NOT USB compliant and often results in USB connection problems). The new micro iUSB3.0 features not only this but also ‘Auto/On’ USB power line options to further enhance the user experience.

BC1.2-2.5A_V3.jpg

iusb3.02.png

We like to try not only forensically but also comprehensively. With two sets of Dual-Ports, the micro iUSB3.0 operates as a computer audiophile-grade powered hub to serve two devices such as DAC and HDD. This means the whole complete computer audio is whisper quiet as noise from one source does not contaminate another.

With modern power-hungry devices, the micro iUSB3.0 is also Bus Charge 1.2 compliant which means it is able to fast-charge phones, tablets and even the phenomenal micro iDSD.

You should give bimmer's intona a try. You could be very impressed. Mine has improved furthermore. I was listening to Marsalis Magic Hour. Heard some details never ever heard a hint of before, and so clearly. At this point, it's worth a breeze and a half of an upgrade. This thing needs to burn for more than 200 hours.

I might get a lightspeed 1g cable and put a male a to female a adaptor, with power pins cut. It should be close to a 2g.

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #3,621 of 3,700
Just got this PM from somebody struggling with the translator (coolrob). Can we get a total tally of defective units from

Aliexpress? I think bimmer100 was the first?

bimmer100
coolrob
sealykojac

and?

I got mine from eBay

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #3,622 of 3,700

UTSM.png

• Suppresses frame noise

• Ultra clean power

• Eliminates USB Jitter

Micro-iUSB3-06.691.png

miusb3.jpg

ANC-.png

ANC2.png

ANC-3.png

RE2.png

REbalance.png

EyePattern.jpg

5.0gbps.png

Isoearth.png

BC1.2-2.5A_V3.jpg

iusb3.02.png

Yes! I have spent quite a bit of time with this piece of gear. Quite nice! But very expensive imho and didn't make much difference compared to a regen Amber. A friend won one of these and brought it over a couple of weeks ago. We spent a lot of time with it and overall it's pretty nice. I would prefer my intona over the ifi iUSB3.0 I would like to borrow it again and compare to the intona, but I know that this ifi does NOT do what the intona does best. True high speed galvanically isolated data and power. Also.... It can withstand over 2G's of force!!! That's where I was sold. Because when you hear my audio gear setup it will throw you to the back of your seat at a violent 2G of force. It's just that good :wink:
But seriously, ifi is a cool company with good products for the most part... If you are even slightly considering this, I couldn't understand why you wouldn't consider the intona before this. I also have tried their little 1uv wall wart psu. tell me what you think when using it with the pro3a, I'm thinking it won't be ideal.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #3,623 of 3,700

Are you being totally ironic or do you enjoy the intona now?

As for my setup, i am one usb cable from audio nirvana. The soundstage has exploded tonight! We're talkimg many many Gs. :) The intona was right at the center of the explosion and is still working flawlessly. Kidding aside, the intona works great for me.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #3,624 of 3,700
Are you being totally ironic or do you enjoy the intona now?

As for my setup, i am one usb cable from audio nirvana. The soundstage has exploded tonight! We're talkimg many many Gs. :) The intona was right at the center of the explosion and is still working flawlessly. Kidding aside, the intona works great for me.

I absolutely love the intona. It does help in my system actually. I may consider selling my ppa3 now. As the intona does everything I need and then some. Kinda a no brainer. Industrial strength! Wonder what industry... Oh wait, duh!! The audio industry! So it's made for professional level studios with demands, and other stuff too. But definitely audio grade. I was just reading how sulking the regen, jitterbug and wyrd are as many of them actually add noise to USB. More than I realized. Good thing intona has been tested to prove it actually removes all the packet noise. Specifically 8khz and 16khz noise is no longer any issue. Which I would love to see the ifi iusb3.0 specs on 8khz packet noise. I haven't been fortunate enough to find that information yet. I may have to borrow my friends and get that info myself. But at least I know the intona is actually working and not just some silly device that makes USB sound different. The Intona actually makes it sound as good as it's going to get.

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #3,625 of 3,700
I absolutely love the intona. It does help in my system actually. I may consider selling my ppa3 now. As the intona does everything I need and then some. Kinda a no brainer. Industrial strength! Wonder what industry... Oh wait, duh!! The audio industry! So it's made for professional level studios with demands, and other stuff too. But definitely audio grade. I was just reading how sulking the regen, jitterbug and wyrd are as many of them actually add noise to USB. More than I realized. Good thing intona has been tested to prove it actually removes all the packet noise. Specifically 8khz and 16khz noise is no longer any issue. Which I would love to see the ifi iusb3.0 specs on 8khz packet noise. I haven't been fortunate enough to find that information yet. I may have to borrow my friends and get that info myself. But at least I know the intona is actually working and not just some silly device that makes USB sound different. The Intona actually makes it sound as good as it's going to get.

Good to hear this.

Then intona is excellent indeed but benefis for clean 5v. That is why i put a wyrd before it. Then the ouput usb cable matters. It's the most important one for signal integrity. The one before it probably makes a difference as well. But one thing is for sure, i have never heard resolution close to this in my system. I am thinking of getting a supra cat8 rj45 custom made to 6 inches and a very fine usb cable to complete the picture. There is just a tiny bit of harshness i want to eliminate.

I can only imagine how good your hp setup must sound. Must be something very special.

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #3,627 of 3,700

Well wasn't really considering spending $300 for iUSB3.0 - but was curious.  But I would like a PPA 3.0 - so if you want to sell it let me know. 

So now the Intona is a miracle worker?  You said before that it wasn't worth the money?

The Regen adds noise to USB? - and the Intona re-clocking the USB with those el-cheapo CMEMS very high phase noise (but can take +2G lateral acceleration!) SiTime clocks doesn't?  Weird.  Especially for someone obsessed with having the lowest phase noise clocks possible - even for USB (I think you mentioned how much better the PPA 3.0 USB card sounded with it's OXCO clocks over the TXCO PPA 2.0 USB).  Doubly weird.  So you have ultra low noise OXCO reclocked USB then relocked by ultra high noise (and cheap) CMEMS clocks?  and it sounds better?  Wow - kinda like anti-matter.

I notice that Intona - does not provide any mention of the CMEMS clocks on their website and datasheet anymore.  They used to brag about the high temp high G force clocks.  They certainly don't post any phase noise numbers.  I'm also surprised you didn't like the test bench - ultra low noise winner - the 1uV iPower?
wink_face.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #3,628 of 3,700
The second DIYinHK DXIO Pro3a arrived yesterday - so popped it into my main system.  I kinda expected the sound to be more closed in - as this one is brand new and not burned in.

I WAS SHOCKED!  It was better!  Deeper and fuller bass, even larger sound stage - Wow!  I imagine after a 100hrs it will sound even better.

So it appears there are variations in production models.  The first I received is all black and the second it silver on top.  Should I try a yellow?

The caps on my TeraDak X1/X2 linear power supply - which I recapped with Pannie FRs - are fully burned in.  So I used it with the Yellowtec PUC2 Lite I have as a loaner.

And that made all the difference in the world!  With the TeraDakX1/FR/Cerious Tech Graphene power cable - the PUC2 is killer - killer good.  I should say great!

So how does this combo stack up to the DXIO black/TeraDak DC-30W(stock)/Cerious Tech Graphene?  Well I think it's a draw.  The PUC2 has deeper bass and a very nice mid-bass.  The foundation of music as they say.  The DXIO black more air and transparency.  Not saying the PUC2 doesn't have excellent air as well, or the DXIO is devoid of bass or has a muddy mid-bass - contrary - both excel here.  They're just edged out by the other in those respective categories.

NOW the DXIO silver - well it's better then both.  Has more air and transparency then the black and significantly more then the PUC2 - the bass is not quite as fathomous as the PUC2 (boy does this thing go deeeeep!), but it's close enough.  So I would say the DXIO silver is top dog - but I really want a PUC2 as well.  Why?

Well they both do things so well - yet slightly differently.  Reminds me of my uber analog days - I had two top phono cartridges - the Dynavector XV-1s and the Benz Ebony LP.  Both just amazing carts  - but approached the sound from a different perspective.  This is well know in ultra high end analog land - many top of the line turntables have multiple arms for this purpose.

So yes I would like to have the PUC2 lite to switch to every so often.  My main system is running Maggie 1.6qr panels - no subs.  These are considered very transparent and finicky speakers - they present an unbelievably lifelike image and focus.  But due to the fact they are 5ft tall planars - not the last word in bass response.  Yet with either of these DDC's the bass is more then enough.
bigsmile_face.gif

The downside to the PUC2 - AES only.  I fortunately had a Canare AES to SPDIF converter and a 10db annentuator on hand - worked like a charm.  The other bug-a boo on the PUC2 - no external power feed!  Well the Lightspeed 2G split came in handy again -  just ran the power lead to the TeraDak.  I should also note the cost difference - the PUC2 is around $500 and the DXIO $200.

What a great time for computer audio!

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #3,629 of 3,700

Well wasn't really considering spending $300 for iUSB3.0 - but was curious.  But I would like a PPA 3.0 - so if you want to sell it let me know. 

So now the Intona is a miracle worker?  You said before that it wasn't worth the money?

The Regen adds noise to USB? - and the Intona re-clocking the USB with those el-cheapo CMEMS very high phase noise (but can take +2G lateral acceleration!) SiTime clocks doesn't?  Weird.  Especially for someone obsessed with having the lowest phase noise clocks possible - even for USB (I think you mentioned how much better the PPA 3.0 USB card sounded with it's OXCO clocks over the TXCO PPA 2.0 USB).  Doubly weird.  So you have ultra low noise OXCO reclocked USB then relocked by ultra high noise (and cheap) CMEMS clocks?  and it sounds better?  Wow - kinda like anti-matter.

I notice that Intona - does not provide any mention of the CMEMS clocks on their website and datasheet anymore.  They used to brag about the high temp high G force clocks.  They certainly don't post any phase noise numbers.  I'm also surprised you didn't like the test bench - ultra low noise winner - the 1uV iPower?
wink_face.gif

You should save your money and not buy the intona, iusb 3.0 etc. even the PPA3.  I think the biggest difference I was getting was from the clean Paul Hynes SR3 and the Teddy Pardo. And the intona doesn't work miracles on my machine, but with others it's quite impressive. I found a small increase of sq in my system with the intona, that actually impresses me since i've found it difficult to find other upgrades that actually make a difference...not just a sidegrade. 

I've never mentioned how much better the PPA3 is over the PPA2, Another guy in this thread has done that comparisons. Cthua or something, I forgot. I've read countless places that the PPA3 is better than PPA2, yet a few saying they are pretty close. Either way, they allow for the USB5v to be supplied from a separate Linear psu. that is key.
It's not the clocks that are creating the noise in the 8khz packets. All of the clocks, even the low performance ones are still low enough below the noise floor to not be issues. Also, alex Crespi mentions that the clocks, crystek, are far from the reason the regen performs. I can re-quote that email from him if you'd like.
I too made the mistake of thinking that usb clocks made a difference like masterclocks for spdif..
"
Hi Tim:

Your Teradak will work fine with the REGEN.

The REGEN will be of benefit to both the Gustard and the Amanero.  It is all about providing better signal integrity (a real thing, not a marketing word) to the USB input so the DAC's USB input PHY chip (complex little beast) does not have to work as hard to decode the data, thereby generating less packet- and ground-plane noise.  You might find some enlightenment about the issues and the REGEN in this review that was just published on AudioStream.comhttp://www.audiostream.com/content/uptone-audio-usb-regen

As for clocks:  You are confusing the DAC master clock (or the Gustard's output clock which becomes master for S/PDIF interfaces) with the USB PHY and hub-chip clock as used in all USB inputs and in the REGEN and Schiit Wyrd.  VERY different things.  We do use a nice low-jitter Crystek clock in the REGEN, but is far from being an important aspect to its performance--or the reason the REGEN outperform the Schiit Wyrd.  The power network around our hub chip, the impedance matching with the 4-layer board, and the whole focus on SI is what makes the REGEN stand out--especially when placed right at the input jack of the DAC or USB>S/PDIF converter as recommended.

I am sure you will enjoy it.

Best,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
Mariposa, California
Phone: 1-209-966-4377
E-mail: crespi@sti.net
"

So...intona is creating 60uV of noise from 20hz-22khz. not bad? better than most anyone's usb on average. but what's best is that the ground plane noise is absolutely eliminated. therefor the packet noise issues are too. Regen did a good job at attenuated some of it. but other issues arose too. Anyhow... like I said, it's not a miracle worker, i've never made any such comment as you say. For my machine at least. :wink:  Also, CMEMs clock is on the dirty side of the intona, the CLEAN side is re-clocking the signal via the usb chip with it's pll internal clock. Even if it was "ultra high noise", which it's not. It's just not ultra low noise. simply low noise is a fair way to describe them.
On a last note. this is just downright silly to have you comment on gear you've never actually tested yourself. The end test is listening for improvements, not just changes. 
I've not experienced dramatic changes with the Graphene Extreme cables, but every so slight improvements that imho...thats awesome! but certainly not some magical pairing. I will try the breeze and graphene extreme as you say it's a good match. I expect to hear subtle change at most. 

... unsubscribing now...

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #3,630 of 3,700

You should save your money and not buy the intona, iusb 3.0 etc. even the PPA3.  I think the biggest difference I was getting was from the clean Paul Hynes SR3 and the Teddy Pardo. And the intona doesn't work miracles on my machine, but with others it's quite impressive. I found a small increase of sq in my system with the intona, that actually impresses me since i've found it difficult to find other upgrades that actually make a difference...not just a sidegrade. 

I've never mentioned how much better the PPA3 is over the PPA2, Another guy in this thread has done that comparisons. Cthua or something, I forgot. I've read countless places that the PPA3 is better than PPA2, yet a few saying they are pretty close. Either way, they allow for the USB5v to be supplied from a separate Linear psu. that is key.
It's not the clocks that are creating the noise in the 8khz packets. All of the clocks, even the low performance ones are still low enough below the noise floor to not be issues. Also, alex Crespi mentions that the clocks, crystek, are far from the reason the regen performs. I can re-quote that email from him if you'd like.
I too made the mistake of thinking that usb clocks made a difference like masterclocks for spdif..
"
Hi Tim:

Your Teradak will work fine with the REGEN.

The REGEN will be of benefit to both the Gustard and the Amanero.  It is all about providing better signal integrity (a real thing, not a marketing word) to the USB input so the DAC's USB input PHY chip (complex little beast) does not have to work as hard to decode the data, thereby generating less packet- and ground-plane noise.  You might find some enlightenment about the issues and the REGEN in this review that was just published on AudioStream.comhttp://www.audiostream.com/content/uptone-audio-usb-regen

As for clocks:  You are confusing the DAC master clock (or the Gustard's output clock which becomes master for S/PDIF interfaces) with the USB PHY and hub-chip clock as used in all USB inputs and in the REGEN and Schiit Wyrd.  VERY different things.  We do use a nice low-jitter Crystek clock in the REGEN, but is far from being an important aspect to its performance--or the reason the REGEN outperform the Schiit Wyrd.  The power network around our hub chip, the impedance matching with the 4-layer board, and the whole focus on SI is what makes the REGEN stand out--especially when placed right at the input jack of the DAC or USB>S/PDIF converter as recommended.

I am sure you will enjoy it.

Best,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
Mariposa, California
Phone: 1-209-966-4377
E-mail: crespi@sti.net
"

So...intona is creating 60uV of noise from 20hz-22khz. not bad? better than most anyone's usb on average. but what's best is that the ground plane noise is absolutely eliminated. therefor the packet noise issues are too. Regen did a good job at attenuated some of it. but other issues arose too. Anyhow... like I said, it's not a miracle worker, i've never made any such comment as you say. For my machine at least. :wink:  Also, CMEMs clock is on the dirty side of the intona, the CLEAN side is re-clocking the signal via the usb chip with it's pll internal clock. Even if it was "ultra high noise", which it's not. It's just not ultra low noise. simply low noise is a fair way to describe them.
On a last note. this is just downright silly to have you comment on gear you've never actually tested yourself. The end test is listening for improvements, not just changes. 
I've not experienced dramatic changes with the Graphene Extreme cables, but every so slight improvements that imho...thats awesome! but certainly not some magical pairing. I will try the breeze and graphene extreme as you say it's a good match. I expect to hear subtle change at most. 

... unsubscribing now...

Well I offered to buy your Cerious GE cable - for what you paid.  And no offer - so I guess it's worth the $250?  I mean you were complaining how I egged into buying all this stuff and it's all worthless (I'm just blogging my experience and don't suggest anyone buy any of this - that should be clear to anyone who reads a blog)?

And you did just say you were selling your PPA3.0 now you have the Intona - didn't you?  So why a PPA 2.0?  So you quote the Intona noise at 60uV in the audible range - but iFi quotes .1uV for the iPowered iUSB3.0 - so why is that not 600x better?  The 8kHz packet noise is in the audible range right.

miusb3.jpg

The iUSB3.0 also isolates the USB PC ground plane:

So just getting what the Intona does that the iUSB3.0 doesn't do better? But then you say:
Yes! I have spent quite a bit of time with this piece of gear. Quite nice! But very expensive imho and didn't make much difference compared to a regen Amber. A friend won one of these and brought it over a couple of weeks ago. We spent a lot of time with it and overall it's pretty nice. I would prefer my intona over the ifi iUSB3.0 I would like to borrow it again and compare to the intona, but I know that this ifi does NOT do what the intona does best. True high speed galvanically isolated data and power. Also.... It can withstand over 2G's of force!!! That's where I was sold. Because when you hear my audio gear setup it will throw you to the back of your seat at a violent 2G of force. It's just that good
wink.gif

But seriously, ifi is a cool company with good products for the most part... If you are even slightly considering this, I couldn't understand why you wouldn't consider the intona before this. I also have tried their little 1uv wall wart psu. tell me what you think when using it with the pro3a, I'm thinking it won't be ideal. 

confused.gif

If the PPA 2.0 is nearly as good as the PPA 3.0 - why would you pay another $300 for it?

Just so many inconsistencies and contradictions I'm having a hard time following your logic?
confused.gif

For example you say:

Is the awesome comment sarcastic or do you truly feel a $250 power cable that provides 'every so slight improvements' is worth it?

You say 'but certainly not some magical pairing' - do you have a functioning Breeze that you've paired it to?  How can you say it's not 'magical'?  Then you say 'I will try the breeze and the graphene extreme as you say it's a good match' - so I'm guessing you haven't tried them together?  See what I mean - I'm lost here.  Then the comment 'I expect to hear subtle change at most' - well OK you can have a view before trying - but be open minded about it when you do, then post about it.

I appreciate your input to the thread - it's just this harping on this Intona thing is wearing me out. So I have a different view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back