Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 24, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #10,276 of 12,086
I've had them for 5 days (mahogany), and hate them. What do I hate:

* bass across the board is at least 2 db above norm, some spots it's +4. If I could blend this bass with my HD-600 bass I'd likely be very happy. I also hear thickening in the low mids - uck.

* There are one or two spikes in the highs that make my ears bleed. I hated digital for years for this type of sound, if not for my Schiit Gumby I'd still be all vinyl.

I plan on doing the following to help stop this unpleasant reaction:

1. Keep them plugged in an play my 5 CD Changer on repeat until I get to well over 100 hours before they go near my ears again.

2. Take my Delkoni fenestrated lambskin off of my FH500RP's and replace stock

If that's not a good deal better, than I'll try going to:

1. balanced connection, helped the HD-600 (less tizzy in treble, more control and nuance in bass - using Ragnarok)

2. flip drivers with my FH500RP's (lower bass, get more sound stage for these.

Any other ideas? (don't say "tubes")

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #10,277 of 12,086
Ok... Eikon pads are larger in diameter and are more flat that Ori pads. Then it is really the Eikon pads that I have a hard time fitting on the TH-X00...
For me, it simply doesn't work. They feel loose and move every time I put the headphones on or take them off, so fit is not consistent.
Did I get larger than usual earpads? I might post some pictures when I get the chance.

My Eikon pads would move around on the locking ring if I deliberately tried to move them, but they didn't feel particularly loose to me. My attenuation rings are about 5mm larger in diameter than the locking rings, so this helped me a little. I put double stick tape in between the smooth side of the locking rings and the attenuation rings. Its all very solid now, though if I have to, I can adjust the position of the pads manually without taking them off the headphones.

Perhaps you could put four small sections of double stick tape on the locking ring where the flap on the pads folds over. They shouldn't move at all, but you'll have to be fairly precise in placement of the pad.

May 24, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #10,278 of 12,086
Ok... Eikon pads are larger in diameter and are more flat that Ori pads. Then it is really the Eikon pads that I have a hard time fitting on the TH-X00...
For me, it simply doesn't work. They feel loose and move every time I put the headphones on or take them off, so fit is not consistent.
Did I get larger than usual earpads? I might post some pictures when I get the chance.

Eikon Pads Actual Measurements from my pads:

Outer Dimensions: 4.4" up/down, 4.2" side/side (~4.3" diameter on average)
Ear Cavity: 2.76 x 1.88 in
Tallest height: 1.25"
Shortest Height: 0.85"
Overlay: 0.55"

I used digital calipers to measure and didn't compress the leather. The overlay measurement I added which is the width of the leather on the backside of the pad that pulls over the Pom Plate. My pads essentially stay centered on the Pom Plate but will shift if I apply a little force though will recenter when I stop. Now I'm not applying enough force to completely push everything off the plate which I'm sure can be done but essentially what's reasonable for everyday use. I don't use any tape for the attenuator plates or pads but that's not a bad idea as someone pointed out. I just have the attenuator plates floating between the pad and Pom Plate.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #10,279 of 12,086
I've had them for 5 days (mahogany), and hate them. What do I hate:

* bass across the board is at least 2 db above norm, some spots it's +4. If I could blend this bass with my HD-600 bass I'd likely be very happy. I also hear thickening in the low mids - uck.

* There are one or two spikes in the highs that make my ears bleed. I hated digital for years for this type of sound, if not for my Schiit Gumby I'd still be all vinyl.

I plan on doing the following to help stop this unpleasant reaction:

1. Keep them plugged in an play my 5 CD Changer on repeat until I get to well over 100 hours before they go near my ears again.

2. Take my Delkoni fenestrated lambskin off of my FH500RP's and replace stock

If that's not a good deal better, than I'll try going to:

1. balanced connection, helped the HD-600 (less tizzy in treble, more control and nuance in bass - using Ragnarok)

2. flip drivers with my FH500RP's (lower bass, get more sound stage for these.

Any other ideas? (don't say "tubes")
EQ

May 25, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #10,281 of 12,086
Ok this is really bothering me, can someone please tell me why there is a spring on the little screw dealie connecting the earpieces to the main headband area?

It might keep tension on the connector, and help it stay in position and not unscrew.

And if it isn't actually screwed in, its purpose may simply be to inhibit movement in the joint, and make it less "floppy".

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #10,282 of 12,086
May 26, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #10,283 of 12,086
Right, forgot to mention that with my Fiio X3 bass set to -2 that helped, but 'd need a 10 band at least to tackle these

Later: put the fenestrated lambs on them (on the Ragnarok). No good, the bass dropped a bit, but, it just made the treble more penetrating and obnoxious since the bass couldn't take focus off the treble.

Slapped my Fostex 500's - rolled at the top and rolled at the bottom, and a row P perspective - the voices were dead on however.

Still not over 100 hours, and still no balanced switch over (tough sell if I do). But I'm down to 2 minutes is the longest I can stand these. HD-600 kill them, unless you want overbearing 'beats' bass. The 500's are far different, but the issue is 'lack' so they don't fatigue.

The issue of the phone in question is too much of everything, but recessed midrange. Too bad the mids are good and these are easy to drive. But they don't play music to my ears.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #10,284 of 12,086
I've had my set for about a week now thanks to a great transaction with @JamieCole. I've only had about 5 hours listening time so far due to work travel but so far really enjoying them. My only gripe so far is that using them with most sources I don't get the really great low end without cranking the volume way up. This is a problem for me because the highs get fairly intolerable at those levels. I found a fairly quick and dirty work around by putting a couple of 64ohm resistors in line with the cable and that seems to have solved the problem. It kicks my phone into high gain mode and I can crank the volume without the highs making my ears bleed. I think 64ohms might be a touch too high as I feel the top end roll off is more than I would like. I'm going to play around with other values, will probably try 32 ohm next and see what the results are.

So far I'm happy with the experiment...might be worth trying for other folks frustrated with the highs.

Edit...just tried 39 ohm and 51 ohm (next two lowest values I have) and 51 seems to be a fairly good calue for my ears. Maybe still a bit sharper than I would like but pretty close to ideal.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #10,285 of 12,086
Alright so since my last post, my passive filter got a bit more complex with switches and capacitors to tweak the sound as I listened. Eventually I just went back to the th-x00 plugged straight into the phone and apparently my ears just needed time to adjust to the treble. I am listening at higher volume now and it sounds godly. The treble harshness is mostly gone as my ears have adapted. This clearly has nothing to do with "burn in" as this set is second hand. I think I was just so used to listening to the HD6XX (not from my phone but a warm vintage integrated amp with a lot of power) exclusively for the past 6 months that my ears got used to that sweet mid-range. Don't get me wrong, the fostex aren't without their faults, but they are really incredibly engaging coming from the Sennheisers.

Now on to tackling the cable issue. I really don't want to modify the cups so I will probably just shorten the cable and re-terminate to 3.5mm

One thing I can say is that I feel very fortunate that I find the stock pads very comfortable. Again, not sure if it's because they are second hand and the pads have softened from use, but I'm satisfied.

Jun 2, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #10,286 of 12,086
Alright so since my last post, my passive filter got a bit more complex with switches and capacitors to tweak the sound as I listened. Eventually I just went back to the th-x00 plugged straight into the phone and apparently my ears just needed time to adjust to the treble. I am listening at higher volume now and it sounds godly. The treble harshness is mostly gone as my ears have adapted. This clearly has nothing to do with "burn in" as this set is second hand. I think I was just so used to listening to the HD6XX (not from my phone but a warm vintage integrated amp with a lot of power) exclusively for the past 6 months that my ears got used to that sweet mid-range. Don't get me wrong, the fostex aren't without their faults, but they are really incredibly engaging coming from the Sennheisers.

Now on to tackling the cable issue. I really don't want to modify the cups so I will probably just shorten the cable and re-terminate to 3.5mm

One thing I can say is that I feel very fortunate that I find the stock pads very comfortable. Again, not sure if it's because they are second hand and the pads have softened from use, but I'm satisfied.

You can do removable cables without modifying the cups if you use SMC connectors, if you want 2.5mm jacks then you will have to mod the cups.

Jun 3, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #10,288 of 12,086
Jun 4, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #10,289 of 12,086
Finally hooked up my Jot/Modi 2 and all I can say is this stack is pretty amazing with the PH's. I've had the PH's burning in non stop since 5pm Thursday and what a world of difference. This is a good pairing and from what I read, it probably shouldn't be.

I don't hear the enhanced highs I've been reading about and with the Jot having a bright sound signature, I expected to be grinding my teeth in pain. I don't hear it.
The mids are more in the forefront compared to the Mahogany's and the bass slams with power, a lot tighter and the sub bass is pretty insane. I like these so much more then the Mahogany's and those had 200+ hours of listening time with these ears. The PH's sound much cleaner, tighter, punchier and deeper. Maybe it's me....I don't know.

I'm loving my PH's.

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #10,290 of 12,086
Finally hooked up my Jot/Modi 2 and all I can say is this stack is pretty amazing with the PH's. I've had the PH's burning in non stop since 5pm Thursday and what a world of difference. This is a good pairing and from what I read, it probably shouldn't be.

I don't hear the enhanced highs I've been reading about and with the Jot having a bright sound signature, I expected to be grinding my teeth in pain. I don't hear it.
The mids are more in the forefront compared to the Mahogany's and the bass slams with power, a lot tighter and the sub bass is pretty insane. I like these so much more then the Mahogany's and those had 200+ hours of listening time with these ears. The PH's sound much cleaner, tighter, punchier and deeper. Maybe it's me....I don't know.

I'm loving my PH's.
I never heard the "too hot" treble that X00 is supposed to have, except one time when I turned it up really, really REALLY loud! As in...so loud, I'd never listen for more than about 30 seconds anyway.

I don't hear the supposed treble spike in HD600 either, for that matter. I DID hear the spike occasionally in M1060 while my pair was stock, but I think the combination of burn-in and Audeze pads eradicated that.

I have old-man ears though, and freely admit I'm not the best judge. Your experience may differ, yadda yadda.

Enjoy your PH's, they're a fine set of cans :) Of course, I think my pair has improved quite a bit from stock with ZMF pads and Pilot Pad, and the Lawton Tune-Up Kit, and would be remiss if I didn't gently nudge you in that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back