Fostex TH900 MkII
Jun 25, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #391 of 1,501
Another option, that I forgot to mention is buying Ebony cups for the EMU / TH-X00 (or even TH-900) headphones. Ebony actually softens the highs, making the overall signature much smoother. This option would also be much cheaper. Even more so, if your existing headphones are compatible. Then you would just need to buy the cups and install them. No need for a warm amp either.

Then again, that would be more of a side-grade, not an upgrade.

Yeah, I guess I just gotta listen to the TH900s if I get them and decide then. I don't want to mess with my D5Ks :D

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #393 of 1,501
Thought this is the right place to ask some advice. Purchased a set up TH-900mk2's via an Adorama deal about six months ago. I also purchased their VIP360 that provides 2-day shipping, extended returns and a drop n spill warranty. Figured it made sense because I was purchasing multiple other headphones at the same time and they had the best price. For example also purchased the LCD-3f w/ iFi Pro iCan at a great price. The first time my 900mk2's took a tiny drop - like stand to desk - it damaged the tiny single screw that holds the C-shaped Metal bracket to one of the cups. Calls to Adorama informed me that they were only 'selling' the warranty courtesy of New Leaf LLC out of TX, USA. Wow - a little shady to say the least - further investigation informed me that only if you buy the VIP360 are you ever presented the chance to learn that the warranty is via some company that you've never heard of - real nice. New Leaf denied my claim - **PS - they called me a couple weeks later and said they would honor the warranty after I sent a nasty letter. In the meantime - I sent out (via my own expense for postage plus insurance) the cans to an authorized Fostex Dealer in MS that I found via Fostex's site. Here's the skinny...... They came back super fast - and as I was opening the box - I was shocked to see it was a set of brand new 900's in the factory sealed box. Great right? Not necessarily. After I opened them - I realized that they are genuine (OEM) but they are the original 900's and not the mk2's with the detachable cable that I've sent in - oh brother! NOW I NEED ADVICE please? #1) Would you simply not complain and take the brand new set? #2) They are very low Ohm Cans to start - so I'm careful to set my Deckard, Pro iCan or Micro iDSD Black Label on low power - but I am losing a lot by now not being able to use the balanced XLR Cable that I had with my mk2's? PS - I didn't send that Cable back in - is it easy to mod the replacement new 900's to use the mk2 cable I kept? #3)Since the 900's are so low in Ohms anyway - and they're not my go to cans for my highest resolution files - should I just drop it? I feel as though the Bass response is lesser with the new 900's vs. the mk2's I sent back - is this just in my head???? Really appreciate any help!

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #394 of 1,501
Thought this is the right place to ask some advice. Purchased a set up TH-900mk2's via an Adorama deal about six months ago. I also purchased their VIP360 that provides 2-day shipping, extended returns and a drop n spill warranty. Figured it made sense because I was purchasing multiple other headphones at the same time and they had the best price. For example also purchased the LCD-3f w/ iFi Pro iCan at a great price. The first time my 900mk2's took a tiny drop - like stand to desk - it damaged the tiny single screw that holds the C-shaped Metal bracket to one of the cups. Calls to Adorama informed me that they were only 'selling' the warranty courtesy of New Leaf LLC out of TX, USA. Wow - a little shady to say the least - further investigation informed me that only if you buy the VIP360 are you ever presented the chance to learn that the warranty is via some company that you've never heard of - real nice. New Leaf denied my claim - **PS - they called me a couple weeks later and said they would honor the warranty after I sent a nasty letter. In the meantime - I sent out (via my own expense for postage plus insurance) the cans to an authorized Fostex Dealer in MS that I found via Fostex's site. Here's the skinny...... They came back super fast - and as I was opening the box - I was shocked to see it was a set of brand new 900's in the factory sealed box. Great right? Not necessarily. After I opened them - I realized that they are genuine (OEM) but they are the original 900's and not the mk2's with the detachable cable that I've sent in - oh brother! NOW I NEED ADVICE please? #1) Would you simply not complain and take the brand new set? #2) They are very low Ohm Cans to start - so I'm careful to set my Deckard, Pro iCan or Micro iDSD Black Label on low power - but I am losing a lot by now not being able to use the balanced XLR Cable that I had with my mk2's? PS - I didn't send that Cable back in - is it easy to mod the replacement new 900's to use the mk2 cable I kept? #3)Since the 900's are so low in Ohms anyway - and they're not my go to cans for my highest resolution files - should I just drop it? I feel as though the Bass response is lesser with the new 900's vs. the mk2's I sent back - is this just in my head???? Really appreciate any help!

It would be a difficult mod to install the jacks of the Mk2 on the original but it is a simple mod to install SMC jacks on the original TH-900 with no cutting of the cups or baffle, but you will also need to mod the cables that you have with SMC jacks on the cup ends, or just get a different balanced cable with the SMC jacks if you do the SMC jacks on the cups.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #395 of 1,501
return it if you can after contacting them ,,
new mk2 cost 1400$ ,, the old th900 now cost 900$ ,,
to me you are losing a lot + the xlr option , they should honor the warranty to the full extent!

btw ,, i use my 900 with audeze deckard at medium gain ,, to me it sound more exiting
although i prefer the HP-A8 which have more details and way cleaner/darker background ..

Jun 26, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #396 of 1,501
I was in a store recently and had a listen to the Mk II to see if they would make a nice addition to my collection. I was a little disapointed as although they sounded great, they were definitely too V shaped for me. The trebble was just a little sharp and the bass just a little over emphasised. I listened to them through both a Questyle CMA600i (I have this at home) and Oppo HA2 SE (my portable amp). However, as I was discussing my impressionis with the store owner he recommended I give them another this but this time through an Ayon HA-3 valve amp he had in store ( https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/ayon-ha-3-state-of-the-art.816733 ). Wow, the change was remarkable, it brought the whole headphone under control, took away any over emphasis I was previously eperiencing and revealed to me the level of clarity these headphones are capable of. Needless to say I can definetly recommend this pairing. Shame the amp costs $4000 which is out of my budget for sure.

Jun 26, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #397 of 1,501
I was in a store recently and had a listen to the Mk II to see if they would make a nice addition to my collection. I was a little disapointed as although they sounded great, they were definitely too V shaped for me. The trebble was just a little sharp and the bass just a little over emphasised. I listened to them through both a Questyle CMA600i (I have this at home) and Oppo HA2 SE (my portable amp). However, as I was discussing my impressionis with the store owner he recommended I give them another this but this time through an Ayon HA-3 valve amp he had in store ( https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/ayon-ha-3-state-of-the-art.816733 ). Wow, the change was remarkable, it brought the whole headphone under control, took away any over emphasis I was previously eperiencing and revealed to me the level of clarity these headphones are capable of. Needless to say I can definetly recommend this pairing. Shame the amp costs $4000 which is out of my budget for sure.
ifi micro black amp/dac with TH900 is not V Shaped to me.
20170621_183540.jpg

Jun 26, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #398 of 1,501
some EQ (if needed) and lowton pads , will make the 900 less V shaped
but still your amp recommendation is very helpful .. thanks

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #400 of 1,501
x-post https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/fostex-th900mk2-out-of-phase-fakes.853761/

I just picked up some Fostex TH900mk2 on eBay. I used http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php and noticed the polarity is reversed. I plugged in the cable properly according to manual. Does anyone have experience with this? Are there reports of fakes of this product? I suppose it could also be an improperly serviced product. Any recommendations what I should do?

I'm also using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, is it possible for these devices to reverse polarity?

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #401 of 1,501
x-post https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/fostex-th900mk2-out-of-phase-fakes.853761/

I just picked up some Fostex TH900mk2 on eBay. I used http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php and noticed the polarity is reversed. I plugged in the cable properly according to manual. Does anyone have experience with this? Are there reports of fakes of this product? I suppose it could also be an improperly serviced product. Any recommendations what I should do?

I'm also using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, is it possible for these devices to reverse polarity?

What cable are you using? OEM Fostex versus HD6xx compatible cable look the same, but the pin polarity is reversed.

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #403 of 1,501
HD6XX as in Sennheiser? It appears to be the original Fostex cable that comes with the TH900mk2. It is Fostex branded with fabric sleeving and looks identical to photos.

Something is definitely amiss then if you are using the OEM cable and confirmed the polarity is reversed. No idea if there are fake TH900s. You can try to disassemble the cups and compare to the many photos on Headfi. If those are fake, I would think the drivers would be different.

Other possibility is that everything is fine. I didn't even know that one could tell polarity is reversed just by listening. If both R and L channels are in the same phase alignment, I'm not sure how one could tell if polarity is reversed.

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #404 of 1,501
Something is definitely amiss then if you are using the OEM cable and confirmed the polarity is reversed. No idea if there are fake TH900s. You can try to disassemble the cups and compare to the many photos on Headfi. If those are fake, I would think the drivers would be different.

Other possibility is that everything is fine. I didn't even know that one could tell polarity is reversed just by listening. If both R and L channels are in the same phase alignment, I'm not sure how one could tell if polarity is reversed.

If the polarity is reversed on one of the channels, then the R and L channels will be out of phase (one driver pushing out, while other in). If you physically swap the polarity on one of your channels (I would not recommend doing this on the TH900mk2 because the cable is only supposed to plug in one way; one pin is thicker than the other) then you'll notice that the first audio sample now sounds like the second, and the second like the first.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #405 of 1,501
Hi guys. I've decided to pull the trigger on the Fostex TH900. I will be coming from a Denon AH-D5000 (which I will be keeping).

Now, I was originally looking at a powerful desktop amplifier, but I can't risk buying it on this months paycheck - I like to have a margin of safety :) So it seems for the next month, I will be running the Fostex TH900 through my Dragonfly Red. Personally I've been really happy with the DFR, I thought it added a lot to my D5K compared to stock, but people have told me its not really very good. How bad of a pairing can it be with TH900? Both are somewhat bright I've heard, so that might be an issue? I'm not very sensitive to sibilance..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back