Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 3, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #15,106 of 18,760
I am glad you are fine with modding and its ok if that not your thing too. Still I am sure many may consider to do so and some not - it's a personal choice so is sound or even music. I have already written clearly of my opinions but you are making suggestions here which I don't think will contribute to the discussion of this forum and I don't wish to pursue in such chats yah. :wink: You are free to use any words you choose to. I merely stating whenever I could I choose my words carefully and stated my reason too.

Exactly, its a personal preference so I don't exactly understand where you are coming from...Don't take every words you read too seriously. More importantly go listen for yourself and make your own conclusion with your own ears. At the same time enjoy the music :)

modding's fine if that's your thing but it's not mine. and i regard the th900's bass as anything but "boomy" and "slow" if that's what you're suggesting.

i don't think we should avoid using descriptors such as "refined" if we find them applicable. the th900's treble has been described as "sharp", "peaky" and even "ragged". the z1r's highs were more refined than the th900, with a smoother and darker presentation overall to my ears when i compared them. whether you like one presentation more than the other is a matter of personal preference.

*imho, ime, ymmv, we all hear differently, to each his own, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #15,107 of 18,760
modding's fine if that's your thing but it's not mine. and i regard the th900's bass as anything but "boomy" and "slow" if that's what you're suggesting.

i don't think we should avoid using descriptors such as "refined" if we find them applicable. the th900's treble has been described as "sharp", "peaky" and even "ragged". the z1r's highs were more refined than the th900, with a smoother and darker presentation overall to my ears when i compared them. whether you like one presentation more than the other is a matter of personal preference.

*imho, ime, ymmv, we all hear differently, to each his own, etc.

heh hee. I would call the fostex a steak knife and the ZR1 a butter knife. To my ears, not refined; dull. Again , just to my ears.

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #15,108 of 18,760
I am glad you are fine with modding and its ok if that not your thing too. Still I am sure many may consider to do so and some not - it's a personal choice so is sound or even music. I have already written clearly of my opinions but you are making suggestions here which I don't think will contribute to the discussion of this forum and I don't wish to pursue in such chats yah. :wink: You are free to use any words you choose to. I merely stating whenever I could I choose my words carefully and stated my reason too.

Exactly, its a personal preference so I don't exactly understand where you are coming from...Don't take every words you read too seriously. More importantly go listen for yourself and make your own conclusion with your own ears. At the same time enjoy the music :)

and that's exactly what i'm doing - expressing a different opinion to yours in my own words. it's a common occurrence here and at other online forums.

i can assure you that i don't take what everyone posts here seriously (tho i do take some posts more seriously than others :wink:), i do go listen for myself and come to my own conclusions, and i enjoy music. that's also commonplace here.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #15,110 of 18,760
Good...and keep it that way.

and that's exactly what i'm doing - expressing a different opinion to yours in my own words. it's a common occurrence here and at other online forums. i can assure you that i don't take what everyone posts here seriously (tho i do take some posts more seriously than others :wink:), i do go listen for myself and come to my own conclusions, and i enjoy music. that's also commonplace here.

haha...some like steak while others butter...guess, its not easy to please everyone. One thing for sure I find TH900 has plenty of potential to be better then it already is. Otherwise we won't be seeing so many different mods available in the market. The reason these folks bother to do so also points to the fact that they are in similar opinion and perhaps an ardent fan of Fostex. Cheers~

heh hee. I would call the fostex a steak knife and the ZR1 a butter knife. To my ears, not refined; dull. Again , just to my ears.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #15,111 of 18,760
Good...and keep it that way.

well I won't be taking that seriously :wink:

haha...some like steak while others butter...guess, its not easy to please everyone. One thing for sure I find TH900 has plenty of potential to be better then it already is. Otherwise we won't be seeing so many different mods available in the market. The reason these folks bother to do so also points to the fact that they are in similar opinion and perhaps an ardent fan of Fostex. Cheers~

again, we're talking about personal preferences here, which are subjective. it is a fact that some th900 owners have modified their headphones in the hope of "improving" them, but their idea of an improvement in sonic performance may not sound like one to me or to other th900 owners. unless the modifications achieve measurable improvements in performance, then describing them as "better" is more a matter of opinion than fact. it is a fact however, that head-fi'ers and audiophiles alike do become obsessed with reaching their ideal of sonic perfection. that could be pursued through a relatively inexpensive mod or the addition of an audio component "upgrade" so called, such as an expensive after-market cable for example.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #15,112 of 18,760
Wywires ain't cheap...so is a headphone like TH900. You contradict yourself...what exactly are you getting at? Only cheap cables measure well?? Folks can't post and share freely without 50 pages thesis of graphs and charts to prove? I reckon you subscribed to all solid state low distortion levels will sound better then all tube amps too. Also all things can be measured and all has been proven...Oh, yes Audiophiles (so is headfi) are so common and not obsessed with music reproduction. Good luck with that...

FWIW listening to 'Lost in a blue note' by April Barrows with Wywires Platinum modded TH900...loving every note. :)

Cheers~

again, we're talking about personal preferences here, which are subjective. it is a fact that some th900 owners have modified their headphones in the hope of "improving" them, but their idea of an improvement in sonic performance may not sound like one to me or to other th900 owners. unless the modifications achieve measurable improvements in performance, then describing them as "better" is more a matter of opinion than fact. it is a fact however, that head-fi'ers and audiophiles alike do become obsessed with reaching their ideal of sonic perfection. that could be pursued through a relatively inexpensive mod or the addition of an audio component "upgrade" so called, such as an expensive after-market cable for example.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #15,113 of 18,760
there is no contradiction and making unfounded assertions is no substitute for rational argument

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #15,114 of 18,760
Whether it be the cable, dampening, cups, or pads or all of the fore mentioned, I rate the component changes by the perceived difference in sound, not that it's better. I also can state that I prefer the mods, but that's my preference. I wouldn't dump on any headphone like say utopia users do sometimes on hd800S threads, not that I have any opinion on that...

Jun 3, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #15,116 of 18,760
I think a fair opinion is always welcome so folks can share freely. It need not be bashing any brands but an open non abusive opinion is always good to encourage folks to share. All mods will make a difference and some may even be a negative one. Whenever there is a good one why not share the experience? We are all here to learn and no one knows everything...no matter how rich or poor one is. Its only a hobby...

Jun 3, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #15,117 of 18,760
we share our opinions here but we don't have to agree. a difference of opinion is just that and they usually become abusive when folks take them too personally.

Jun 3, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #15,120 of 18,760
Can you guys just end the back and forth? Its going nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back