Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 29, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #15,076 of 18,761
Hey guys, I got my zh-900 recently from Amazon JP. The thing is that the left side of the headband system seems
to be looser than the right. since my head is very small, I don't need to extend the headband at all and it must be
quite closed and unextended. But the left side always falls one click...
anyone else has this thing with the headband?
Hows the sound?

May 29, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #15,077 of 18,761
Hey guys, I got my zh-900 recently from Amazon JP. The thing is that the left side of the headband system seems
to be looser than the right. since my head is very small, I don't need to extend the headband at all and it must be
quite closed and unextended. But the left side always falls one click...
anyone else has this thing with the headband?
No. Sounds defective. Return it and get a replacement.

May 29, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #15,079 of 18,761
The sound is quite nice. I'm very treble sensetive, phones like Beyerdynamic T5p and T1 were very sharp
to my ears. These also have a lot of treble, but sibilance, esp in vocals happens very rarely.
The base is very rich and so are the highs. the mids are not as recessed as some would say. They're good enogh.
Agreed.
20170510_112812.jpg

May 29, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #15,081 of 18,761
So, did u ever had the same XP with the headband as mine?
The left side falls very easily to the first notch.
My head's small, so The headband sould be completely unextended to give good fit, but
the left side is loose...
Usually wont have a tight fit. If look down it can slip a little. Might be the size of your head.

May 30, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #15,082 of 18,761
Anyone here tried the Violectric HPA V90 with the TH-900?

I just tried two of my 25 ohm headphones in my Lyr and there is a slight hum/hiss even with the volume at 0%. People say the TH-900 pairs well with the V100 & V200, so I'm thinking the V90 shouldn't be too far off. I just don't want to pay 1299 euro for a pair of headphones and then have background noise. Any other recs within the same price roughly?

TH-900 should arrive tomorrow. Very excited.

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #15,083 of 18,761

They have arrived, I have tried and measured them both on the TH900 and D7200 (Denon, not Nikon :) ).

They do sound better than the stock D7200 pads, but not better than my carbon foam modded Lawton leather pads on the D7200.

However, I am genuinely pleased to announce that these are hands down the best sounding (and measuring) pads on the TH900! As good as my modded carbon foam pads, with no mods fuss, and they come off cheap.
No treble etch, FR and CSD is clean, no ridges either. Smooth sound, about 3-5 db improvement in the mids, some 2-3 dB less bass peak, but subjectively doesn't lose any of the bass extension nor impact - just sounds cleaner. It's still a TH900, so colored, but better than the original. It reminds me very much to the D7000 now, sweet smooth velvet sound, only with better bass dynamics.

The pads are made of thin protein "leather" that is likely not going to last more than the original Fostex pads, so count that in if you buy. I've got 3 pairs, one for mods :D.

Everyone who was afraid of doing mods to get the TH900 sound more even, now have the opportunity to use something stock. No other mods are needed (I have taken out the cups damping, but you shouldn't bother).

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #15,084 of 18,761
They have arrived, I have tried and measured them both on the TH900 and D7200 (Denon, not Nikon :) ).

They do sound better than the stock D7200 pads, but not better than my carbon foam modded Lawton leather pads on the D7200.

However, I am genuinely pleased to announce that these are hands down the best sounding (and measuring) pads on the TH900! As good as my modded carbon foam pads, with no mods fuss, and they come off cheap.
No treble etch, FR and CSD is clean, no ridges either. Smooth sound, about 3-5 db improvement in the mids, some 2-3 dB less bass peak, but subjectively doesn't lose any of the bass extension nor impact - just sounds cleaner. It's still a TH900, so colored, but better than the original. It reminds me very much to the D7000 now, sweet smooth velvet sound, only with better bass dynamics.

The pads are made of thin protein "leather" that is likely not going to last more than the original Fostex pads, so count that in if you buy. I've got 3 pairs, one for mods :D.

Everyone who was afraid of doing mods to get the TH900 sound more even, now have the opportunity to use something stock. No other mods are needed (I have taken out the cups damping, but you shouldn't bother).
Less Basd ?

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #15,085 of 18,761
Saying "less bass" would not be accurate. They have less measured bass than my modded pads, which in turn have more bass than the stock Fostex pads.
Measurements say it's good, and my ears say the same. No apparent lack or diminishing of bass, unlike the other pads I've tried.
I'd say they are well worth risking $25.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #15,086 of 18,761
Saying "less bass" would not be accurate. They have less measured bass than my modded pads, which in turn have more bass than the stock Fostex pads.
Measurements say it's good, and my ears say the same. No apparent lack or diminishing of bass, unlike the other pads I've tried.
I'd say they are well worth risking $25.
They look like the stock pads. The Lawton Angled pad in my experience caysed it to lose bass.

Jun 1, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #15,087 of 18,761

Thanks for the update. Have you tried any of the Brainwavez pads?

Also, has anyone found these pads on eBay in the US that are in stock?

Jun 1, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #15,088 of 18,761
Thanks for the update. Have you tried any of the Brainwavez pads?

I have bad experience with all the Brainwavz pads (hybrid, leather flat and angled). I have found the stock Fostex better.

They look like the stock pads. The Lawton Angled pad in my experience caysed it to lose bass.

No, they look more like the Denon D7200 pads, only they sound better on the TH900. The stock Fostex pads are completely circular, deeper, tighter, and sound different.
The Lawton flat pad when modified with carbon foam inlay, sounds best on the D7200, and also sounds good on the TH900 (bested by the modded Fostex pads and these new pads - need to invent a name for them).

Jun 1, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #15,089 of 18,761

Thank you so much for your update on my find, very pleased with what you said! I was very confident anyway, and I'm very glad you have the exact same feeling as me with them :)
Will you share a little graph with stock vs these pads ?
Where I'm very proud of these pads is that (with all the benefits it does already) it dosen't supress the so well known TH900 sub-bass (which was important to me), quite the contrary with some other pads.
Coupled with my HP-A8C, and these pads, I can't stop flying with my combo, everyday!
I also confirm that they feels less durable than stock original pads, but for 25$ it worth definitely the buy.
I wash them very softly with some wet towel (after my showers) everyday, to keep them clean as new. Same treatment on my overall TH900, hehe.

I hope we will have more feedbacks to come from other people here!
Cheers'
/sub

Jun 1, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #15,090 of 18,761
Will you share a little graph with stock vs these pads ?

I don't have any stock Fostex pads left for comparison, only modded ones that are different (and better) than the stock. Eventually I could share graph of them pads alone, or compared to older measurements of the stock pads but that has less relevance. Anyway there is not much to see, what was worth I said in words:
- good/better sound stage,
- good bass (2-3 dB less volume, but that is beneficial, and it's not apparent in subjective listening),
- slightly more mids (less notch around 600 Hz),
- smoother treble (no FR peak and no more ridge on the CSD around 9 kHz).
Sounds really good and better than the far more expensive stock pads, or the even more expensive leather pads.
I have asked them if they would be willing to make the same stuff from leather, and other pads as well, but got a negative answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back