FiiO X5 firmware 2.50 download and discussion
Oct 21, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #286 of 313
Wow thanks, that was fast! I will give it a try if I got some time tonight, else very soon this week :)

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #287 of 313
Guys i recently bought a fiio x5 1st gen. Im currently on V2.35 (if i remember correctly). i have not faced any major issues or freezes yet, but i did notice few very small duration pauses while playing songs(dont know what you call it. It's as if your record is stuck for a fraction of second) . Is upgrading to 2.5 adviced? I mean, are there any issues that plagues the version V2.5

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #288 of 313
Guys i recently bought a fiio x5 1st gen. Im currently on V2.35 (if i remember correctly). i have not faced any major issues or freezes yet, but i did notice few very small duration pauses while playing songs(dont know what you call it. It's as if your record is stuck for a fraction of second) . Is upgrading to 2.5 adviced? I mean, are there any issues that plagues the version V2.5

FW 2.5 is the most stable version. There's a new beta FW out (2.51beta) but there's an issue with the screen going to sleep.

Out of curiosity did you turn on gapless playback in the Play Settings menu?

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #289 of 313
FW 2.5 is the most stable version. There's a new beta FW out (2.51beta) but there's an issue with the screen going to sleep.

Out of curiosity did you turn on gapless playback in the Play Settings menu?

The moment i opened the box, i reset the player to factory defaults. If by default the gapless playback isn't ON, i think it's still off as i din't touch any other settings yet. Anyhow, i'll go home and check that once again just to be sure. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #290 of 313
Yes, off by default.

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #291 of 313
Just found out the point of the problem. FiiO shows the name of second trek from the cue file just because there is the string about this trek in compressed flac file. What I did; decomressed flaс to wav, the compressed by flac-1.3.1 to new flac file. This flac file Fiio read quite correct. Dont know reason why 2.5 firmware looks for song names in compressed flac file.
Does anybody knows why?

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #292 of 313
did you ever find a workaround for fw 2.5 and linux?  i had the same problem as you and reverted to 2.4.  now i'm trying the new fw 2.6 and having the same issues as with 2.5, figured it was worth reaching out to you to see if you'd figured it out.  i'm back to fw 2.4 for the time being, just so i can keep my linux dac functionality...  thanks,  -josh

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #293 of 313
  did you ever find a workaround for fw 2.5 and linux?  i had the same problem as you and reverted to 2.4.  now i'm trying the new fw 2.6 and having the same issues as with 2.5, figured it was worth reaching out to you to see if you'd figured it out.  i'm back to fw 2.4 for the time being, just so i can keep my linux dac functionality...  thanks,  -josh

exactly what distro and what kernel are you using? i never had any issue with the player; however linux is a bit weird with audio devices. here's something you can try: close any program you have open, go to the sound settings (in my distro, Trisquel, a debian/ubuntu derative, it looks as below) and select the FiiO DAC. close this window and open whatever program you use with audio. it should work.

running Trisquel GNU/Linux (version 7+)  with the Linux Libre kernel, version 4.2.8.

i believe the audio plugins i use are called ALSA.

lastly a screenshot of my audio devices:

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #294 of 313
Hi everybody,
  I just want to react to the issues with DAC under linux as I am also frustrated with this one. Apparently, the problem resides in the way, how the FIIO handles XHCI. As described here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=202648 the player probably does not correctly report all capabilities to the linux kernel or simply does not properly hande the communication. I also use the latest kernels (4.2.8 or even 4.3) under Fedora 23 and I am having issues with firmwares 2.5 or 2.6. Firmware 2.4 works just fine. So apparently FIIO has changed something that controls how the DAP communicates over USB in DAC mode. After reading the linked problem description I also tried to force ehci for my USB ports by switching XHCI off in BIOS and then everything works just fine even with firmware 2.6. This is of course not a viable solution for me as I use it with many other PCs and of course I don't want to loose all of the features that USB3 and XHCI offers.

As one of the reasons I bought X5 was to have a quality sound, instead of crappy integrated soundcards, it seems that I am stuck with firmware 2.4 unless somebody in FIIO looks into this issue and works it out. I must say that I am fairly disappointed with software support of otherwise great device. Using windows is a no go for me and problems under linux now can translate into Android very soon when we start seeing USB3 enabled devices there.

I would also argue that Linux is not weird with audio devices. It gives you a lot of control and in the several last years all reasonable hardware works out of the box without any issues. Which I can not say about windows and their drivers. Especially for older devices.

So for all of you who have to have firmware >=2.5 and use linux and you can live with just USB 2.0, try to disable XHCI as a temporary and dirty solution. And of course I would appreciate any word from FIIO whether they are going to handle this issue. I believe that a skilled developer can have this fixed pretty soon as it was working in 2.4 without any problems and FIIO will not loose customers who want to use their device under linux.

Best,
        Olda 

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #295 of 313
So great... yesterday during the cold winter in Canada, I've moved the small usb cable inside my car that was charging my X5 and I guess it must have messed the port even though nothing seems loose as now the X5 won't be detected anymore on my computer and won't charge anywhere... is there anything I can do or I need to throw this 350$ unit in the garbage because Fiio makes cheap 1$ usb soldering? (-_-)

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #296 of 313
  So great... yesterday during the cold winter in Canada, I've moved the small usb cable inside my car that was charging my X5 and I guess it must have messed the port even though nothing seems loose as now the X5 won't be detected anymore on my computer and won't charge anywhere... is there anything I can do or I need to throw this 350$ unit in the garbage because Fiio makes cheap 1$ usb soldering? (-_-)

Hi, PanzerIV. 
For your X5, not matter the Storage or DAC mode, it could not be recognized by your computer?  Here is a special firmware for the X5, and pls try to upgrade your unit and test again. Any test result, pls let us know. :)

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #297 of 313

Hi, PanzerIV. 
For your X5, not matter the Storage or DAC mode, it could not be recognized by your computer?  Here is a special firmware for the X5, and pls try to upgrade your unit and test again. Any test result, pls let us know. :)

Hi Shadow and thanks for your help but there's nothing I can do as now, no matter where I plug my X5... computer or any wall/usb outlet, it doesn't even start the X5 anymore and there is no green or even red LED at the bottom like there was before.

It's exactly as if nothing would be plugged at all, zero recognization suddently since yesterday and I haven't done anything strange to the player, I even always take highly care of it as it's either in my pockets, sitting on my bedroom's desk or on my passenger's seat while I drive, that's it! So that really makes me mad that such an expensive player dies out of nowhere in less than a year from such a dumb issue as if I cannot charge it anymore then that means I won't be able to use it at all in a few houres as now there's only 2 bars left on the battery -_-

Is there a way I can get the player exchanged on warranty in CANADA since it's been less than 12 months? Hopefuly it could then be changed for the newer "v2" version... please let me know as soon as possible as I'm gonna die without my daily music argh.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #298 of 313
Originally Posted by PanzerIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hi Shadow and thanks for your help but there's nothing I can do as now, no matter where I plug my X5... computer or any wall/usb outlet, it doesn't even start the X5 anymore and there is no green or even red LED at the bottom like there was before.

It's exactly as if nothing would be plugged at all, zero recognization suddently since yesterday and I haven't done anything strange to the player, I even always take highly care of it as it's either in my pockets, sitting on my bedroom's desk or on my passenger's seat while I drive, that's it! So that really makes me mad that such an expensive player dies out of nowhere in less than a year from such a dumb issue as if I cannot charge it anymore then that means I won't be able to use it at all in a few houres as now there's only 2 bars left on the battery -_-

Is there a way I can get the player exchanged on warranty in CANADA since it's been less than 12 months? Hopefuly it could then be changed for the newer "v2" version... please let me know as soon as possible as I'm gonna die without my daily music argh.

Hi, PanzerIV, in this case, i think the x5 is faulty. Pls send  email to our support team(support@fiio.net). They will help to solve this issue.

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #299 of 313

Hi, PanzerIV. 

if i may ask, what's special about this firmware, compared to fw2.6?

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #300 of 313
  Hi, PanzerIV, in this case, i think the x5 is faulty. Pls send  email to our support team(support@fiio.net). They will help to solve this issue.

I thought I had replyed the messge from Fiio's support ~16 days ago but I've forgot heh. The automated reply I got today said that tomorow they're going in holiday until February 15th (-_-) so that would be an extra 10 days damn. I've tryed also to email XLOElectric but their email appears to be dead and not working anymore, and I highly doubt that Peter will reply me over there if "Info@XLO..." isn't working.

I don't get it why my serial number isn't being shown in the (About X5) section. I was lucky enough earlier tonight to get 4 minutes of juice out of my 0-1% battery that I cannot charge anymore, to go look there for the 10th time but it's really not there as you can see. Where else can I get my X5 repaired or exchanged under warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back