Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jul 15, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #10,291 of 15,897
Just received my KZ ZS5's and my they do sound very nice out of the X5III

I did look at them on aliexpress... looking forward to a more detailed impression.

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #10,292 of 15,897
Jul 15, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #10,296 of 15,897
Same here with the iBasso PB3. I really don't like the sound of the x5iii without it.

I'm very happy with x5iii ==> AlgoRhythm Duet ==> IT03/HE-560/Monolith m1060. Seriously considering selling my Cowon P2. A lot of $$ tied up in a DAP which suddenly doesn't sound significantly better.

Using x5 2.5mm (vol max) to Duet balanced in/out.

BTW, stacking kit on order.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #10,297 of 15,897
Saw your post, sorry this is a little late (I'm on holiday in Thailand!!!) Don't have the Elear but do have the nighthawks so tried them straight out of the X5iii. No.
At low volume I guess they sound OK but lacking body. At higher volumes (not loud, just medium) the deficiency in driving force is very apparent. Real lack of bass and lower mid body, slight distortion overall. For me, I would definitely want an amp in between the two.

Perhaps unrelated, but LZ A4s sound lovely straight out of the X5iii.
I am actually looking into getting the LZ A4s soon, for my X5iii, ive heard very good things about them.

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #10,298 of 15,897
I connect the X5iii with Mojo using USB cable and it works today! Oh sweet thunder!
Hey Cheaplad Im gearing up to make the exact same set up you seem to have. I currently own the chord mojo, and a fiio x5 first gen. I want to upgrade to the fiio x5 third gen, but I have some concerns that you may be able to answer. On my first gen fiio when outputting to the mojo whenever a song's sample rate changes the mojo skips the first two seconds of the track. Does this happen on the fiio x5-3. Also is the UI competent? The reason I want toe upgrade my fiio x5-1 is because the UI is abysmal.

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #10,299 of 15,897
Great listen on the X5 III

Jul 16, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #10,300 of 15,897
Hey Cheaplad Im gearing up to make the exact same set up you seem to have. I currently own the chord mojo, and a fiio x5 first gen. I want to upgrade to the fiio x5 third gen, but I have some concerns that you may be able to answer. On my first gen fiio when outputting to the mojo whenever a song's sample rate changes the mojo skips the first two seconds of the track. Does this happen on the fiio x5-3. Also is the UI competent? The reason I want toe upgrade my fiio x5-1 is because the UI is abysmal.

I have both USB and coaxial cables and did not experience any skipping. Actually I use the Mojo with x3ii using coaxial cable and there was no skipping either.

As I said a few days ago, the USB connection works for the Fiio music app but minor noise does appear occasionally. And for some unknown reasons, the music was resampled and the cable does not support DSD files altogether.

On the other hand, the line-out using coaxial cable to Mojo works perfectly (only the cable is too long for carrying around).

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #10,302 of 15,897

I have both the X5 first gen and now the X5 3rd gen. I currently cannot use the Mojo with the X5iii as all sorts of horrible noise gets added when connecting via coax. I am told you can't use USB to connect to the Mojo at this time but I haven't bothered to try that. The original X5 works like a champ with the Mojo, with no real drawback in comparison to the X5iii. I am very sad about the X5iii being a step down from the original X5 when using the Mojo. It wasn't always this way, just with the latest firmware. I would not be in a hurry to "upgrade' if I was you.

(And i would be totally fine if things worked swell for others and this is just a personal problem I have. But I don't think that is the case)

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #10,303 of 15,897
Every morning, very hopeful, i turn the wifi on and wish for a miracle of a popup saying FW update available. Alas another day down the rabbit hole!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #10,304 of 15,897
I have both the X5 first gen and now the X5 3rd gen. I currently cannot use the Mojo with the X5iii as all sorts of horrible noise gets added when connecting via coax. I am told you can't use USB to connect to the Mojo at this time but I haven't bothered to try that. The original X5 works like a champ with the Mojo, with no real drawback in comparison to the X5iii. I am very sad about the X5iii being a step down from the original X5 when using the Mojo. It wasn't always this way, just with the latest firmware. I would not be in a hurry to "upgrade' if I was you.

(And i would be totally fine if things worked swell for others and this is just a personal problem I have. But I don't think that is the case)
Dear friend,

You can't collect the X5III to your mojo via coaxial collection? Have you used the correct cable? We did tested the coaxial output to Mojo should be fine.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 17, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #10,305 of 15,897
Dear friend,

You can't collect the X5III to your mojo via coaxial collection? Have you used the correct cable? We did tested the coaxial output to Mojo should be fine.

Best regards

@FiiO With high resolution files that have more than 5000-5500 kbps bit rate there is a lot of noise from the X5III's coaxial output. Please test again.

Edit: and the exact same files play fine from the X5gen1 and X5gen2 with coaxial output.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back