Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 26, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #10,006 of 15,897
Convert those ALAC files to FLAC with foobar or something. It's making my OCD go off the scale high! hehe

Sorry about your OCD! I still have my venerable iPod Classic, hence the need for ALAC.

Jun 26, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #10,007 of 15,897
Not unusual with the ALAC files? Maybe you would like to send the files to us for confirming the issue?

@FiiO Thanks for your reply.

Edit: This is weird! The few albums missing art don't show album art embedded in the files ripped to my NAS drive. Yet the album art shows up on my iPod Classic. Why that is I don't know. Anyway, that's for another thread and has nothing to do with the X5iii. My bad.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #10,010 of 15,897
Hey!

I have a X5-3 since 4 days and compared to my HTC10 I think I lose a lot of stage width, impact, it feels like there is a veil on the music. Am I the only one who encounters this problem?
Could the burn-in or an upgrade of the FW (1.1.4) could fix that? Atm I am really disappointed.
They are paired with CA-Vega.

Kind regards

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #10,012 of 15,897
Hey!

I have a X5-3 since 4 days and compared to my HTC10 I think I lose a lot of stage width, impact, it feels like there is a veil on the music. Am I the only one who encounters this problem?
Could the burn-in or an upgrade of the FW (1.1.4) could fix that? Atm I am really disappointed.

Kind regards
If you THINK that than just enjoy your phone and save money.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #10,013 of 15,897
If you THINK that than just enjoy your phone and save money.
Absolutely but I already made the purchase. I tried the Fiio in shop but I couldn't really appreciate the difference because of the ambiant noise, so I trusted in this thread (never ever :))
I already call my seller to ask a refund but it will not be at full price, that's why I asked you.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #10,014 of 15,897
Absolutely but I already made the purchase. I tried the Fiio in shop but I couldn't really appreciate the difference because of the ambiant noise, so I trusted in this thread (never ever :))
I already call my seller to ask a refund but it will not be at full price, that's why I asked you.
Well in my case I really like the X5III especially the X5III and Onkyo Music App. I prefer the X5III over many > $1000 daps.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #10,016 of 15,897
Jun 26, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #10,017 of 15,897
Another one of those... my phone sounds so awesome stuff again? HTC 10 doesn't sound as good as the LG V20 and that, doesn't sound as good as the X5iii (IMHO). I even pre-ordered my LG V20 hoping it would be my phone/Dap. Now one of my kids enjoys it while I moved on to the S8+ (not so good for audio btw). Mentioning that you couldn't hear the difference in store... was the judging done with the phone speaker? I took my CIEMs when I went to test the HTC 10 (which is quite nice) to the Pixel and the Motorola something or other. I dunno. Well, good luck with your sale of the device anyway.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #10,018 of 15,897
Another one of those... my phone sounds so awesome stuff again? HTC 10 doesn't sound as good as the LG V20 and that, doesn't sound as good as the X5iii (IMHO). I even pre-ordered my LG V20 hoping it would be my phone/Dap. Now one of my kids enjoys it while I moved on to the S8+ (not so good for audio btw). Mentioning that you couldn't hear the difference in store... was the judging done with the phone speaker? I took my CIEMs when I went to test the HTC 10 (which is quite nice) to the Pixel and the Motorola something or other. I dunno. Well, good luck with your sale of the device anyway.
Thank you for your hospitality, nice to meet you.

Jun 26, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #10,019 of 15,897
Thank you for your hospitality, nice to meet you.

On second thought, you're right. That was very tool of me to say the way that I did. If your intention is to sell off the X5, good luck with the sale. It stinks that you can't just return it. I personally was going to return mine when I found out that it doesn't output a balanced audio signal (line out) as I had hoped, but of course the cable to allow me to do it took awhle to get to me... so I was already at the "30+ days of owning the unit". Selling it is always going to take a hit. So, I'm riding out this DAP for the next set of under $1000 (hopefully $500) DAPs comes along that does what I need, works with almost no bugs... and then I'll switch and sell this unit.

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #10,020 of 15,897

Kind regards

First, let it burn in for a while (it took 20+ hours in my case) and update firmware to 1.1.6, which sounds brighter for many users, for me too. If the veil does not go away you'd better look for a different DAP matching your preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back