Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 23, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #9,976 of 15,899
I am an admitted Fiio Fanboy, and I am sad. With firmware 1.16 I can't use my Mojo via coax as it now injects a massive amount of spurious noise when I do. It's not consistent but it's often and annoying. And today it took me quite a few tries (while driving) to get the player to mount SD2 which is a perfectly fine card. And like every Fiio player before it, the random mode playing is weak. It works well for two dozen songs and then it starts repeating earlier songs. Many times it starts favoring two artists until I set the player to not play randomly and then random again. I am close to grabbing my first gen X5 and setting this 3rd gen on the shelf. Bah.

I have a cure for this... become an album listener. What is happening is this, the artist is screwing with you playlist because the the artist never meant for you to listen to there art that way.

Jun 23, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #9,978 of 15,899
Anyone having big issues with tidal offline wirh the newer fw? The last fw my offline music studdered a little hear and there but the new one is almost unlistenable. Since tidal did no updates it has to be something they just did. Also hopefully the next fw will improve the battery life as right now it sucks bad. Yesterday I charged it and this evening it lost 27% just sitting on my counter.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #9,979 of 15,899
Anyone having big issues with tidal offline wirh the newer fw? The last fw my offline music studdered a little hear and there but the new one is almost unlistenable. Since tidal did no updates it has to be something they just did. Also hopefully the next fw will improve the battery life as right now it sucks bad. Yesterday I charged it and this evening it lost 27% just sitting on my counter.

Battery life - is your wifi on? I left mine on overnight (10 hours since I last checked battery) and it's only down 8% - but that's wifi off.

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #9,981 of 15,899
Yeah. It usually bugs after a few tracks for me. I've been using Qobuz this whole week though, and haven't experienced the same issues.

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #9,982 of 15,899
Battery life - is your wifi on? I left mine on overnight (10 hours since I last checked battery) and it's only down 8% - but that's wifi off.
Battery life on the X5iii seems to be very odd. Some people like you can lose 8% in 10 hours and others like myself would lose 20-40% with wifi & bluetooth off. Don't know if it is a hardware or build/components issue but FIIO supposedly said my battery logs were normal.

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #9,983 of 15,899
Battery life on the X5iii seems to be very odd. Some people like you can lose 8% in 10 hours and others like myself would lose 20-40% with wifi & bluetooth off. Don't know if it is a hardware or build/components issue but FIIO supposedly said my battery logs were normal.

I may be "old-fashion" in this, but I "turn-off" my X5III when not in use, just like my other DAPs. I only leave my iPhone on standby "On" since it needs to be in "standby" mode for calls to come in, but for DAPs, I switched off when not in use, and switch on when need to use. The boot-up time is pretty decent, so my sequence of use is to switch on the DAP, pick up my IEM (I keep in a metal case), plug in the 2.5mm balanced plug, and it is ready to use most of the time without much waiting time.

Guess that is the best way to conserve battery life for most of the DAP. Keeping it on without use will still drain power whether wifi on/off, and regular charging will cause battery life to shorten.

Thus, battery life is not a big issue for me, though my ZX2 last forever per charge as comparison. The biggest problem for my X5III is still the random pause or skipping of some DSD files. If this is sorted, it is a good player with nice android system that I can choose to listen in Pure Music Mode (95% of my usage) and if need to use some android apps, I will then switch to full android power.

Tried also with different firmware (FW 1.0.9 to 1.1.6 as well as custom firmware which makes it even more unstable). The FW 1.1.6 has improved a lot in the stability vs older ones, and looking forward in a much more improved firmware from FiiO.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #9,984 of 15,899
I may be "old-fashion" in this, but I "turn-off" my X5III when not in use, just like my other DAPs. I only leave my iPhone on standby "On" since it needs to be in "standby" mode for calls to come in, but for DAPs, I switched off when not in use, and switch on when need to use. The boot-up time is pretty decent, so my sequence of use is to switch on the DAP, pick up my IEM (I keep in a metal case), plug in the 2.5mm balanced plug, and it is ready to use most of the time without much waiting time.

Guess that is the best way to conserve battery life for most of the DAP. Keeping it on without use will still drain power whether wifi on/off, and regular charging will cause battery life to shorten.

Thus, battery life is not a big issue for me, though my ZX2 last forever per charge as comparison. The biggest problem for my X5III is still the random pause or skipping of some DSD files. If this is sorted, it is a good player with nice android system that I can choose to listen in Pure Music Mode (95% of my usage) and if need to use some android apps, I will then switch to full android power.

Tried also with different firmware (FW 1.0.9 to 1.1.6 as well as custom firmware which makes it even more unstable). The FW 1.1.6 has improved a lot in the stability vs older ones, and looking forward in a much more improved firmware from FiiO.

You're not old fashioned in this habit - also, it would not matter if you were, it's your DAP and you use it as it suits you :)
I turn mine off if I know I'm not going to be using it for a few hours - I agree that the boot time is not bad at all. However, booting actually drains the battery - not substantially but equivalent to a couple of hours of standby.
Not sure that regular charging does shorten battery life these days - I charged my first gen X5 quite frequently and it has been fine over three years. Maybe my time frame expectations are too low!

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #9,985 of 15,899
I may be "old-fashion" in this, but I "turn-off" my X5III when not in use, just like my other DAPs.
I turn mine off if I know I'm not going to be using it for a few hours - I agree that the boot time is not bad at all.

Not old fashioned at all! I do the same with my X5iii and that way there is no need to turn wi-fi off every time either. Boot up time is quite acceptable to me and worth the battery saving.

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #9,987 of 15,899
Do you think Fiio will allow the possibility to use "album artist" instead of "artist" or it's a dead cause? Kinda boring to use the folder view when player like Neutron use album artist.

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #9,988 of 15,899
Anyone having big issues with tidal offline wirh the newer fw? The last fw my offline music studdered a little hear and there but the new one is almost unlistenable.

Actually this is the only issue I have with X5-3 and I can't find what could be the reason. Sometimes it's stutters after few songs, sometimes after few hours of listetning and always only for one song. Both in offline and online mode. Not a major problem but it could be annoying.

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #9,989 of 15,899
I've actually found this to be more with the connection at the time. I downloaded an album for off-line mode, and there were stutters in the middle of it. I removed it and re-downloaded and the stutters were gone. I can only assume that this is not the fault of the X5iii - but rather the spped of the connection and dropped packets during the transfer. Unfortunately this seems to be one of the issues with streaming.

Jun 24, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #9,990 of 15,899
I had the stutters and pops on my LG V20 too. I believe it is definitely a Tidal issue and as @Brooko mentioned, a connection issue while downloading the music in general. I now try and make sure I have the files downloaded while I'm at home on a reliable connection vs anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back