FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 18, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #6,526 of 7,088
Cool. I will try this later. I need to finish moving my classical collections onto it.

I converted the entire deutsche grammophon original legendary recordings volumes 1 and 2 from FLAC to 320 kbps mp3 and I've been fiddling around with getting the tagging just right. I'm currently in the process of moving over the entire thing right now and it's taking forever lol. Such a good classical collection, many more great recordings than the deutsche grammophon collectors edition volumes 1 and 2 (both are worth having imo though, both are different). I replaced the collectors edition set with this new legendary recordings set.

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #6,527 of 7,088
Apr 18, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #6,529 of 7,088

You install it just like the other Firmware! 

Don't worry, it is in English 
biggrin.gif

Copy the .fw file to the root of the card in slot 1

Keep power + upper left (I think it was upper left or lower left. It shouldn't be any of the right buttons. ) pressed until the firmware update process starts. Let it do its thing. Now it is lightning fast!

Damn, that actually worked perfectly. It runs way faster now. Thank you!

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #6,531 of 7,088
  Why would anyone ever want to use low gain setting?

No idea 
biggrin.gif

I'm using only High gain regardless of headphones / IEMs, and it works flawlessly. 

Maybe some folks prefer the sound on low gain or prefer to save some battery or have really easy ti drive IEMs / headphones. 

Quote:
  Damn, that actually worked perfectly. It runs way faster now. Thank you!

Also glad to have helped! 

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #6,533 of 7,088
Apr 19, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #6,534 of 7,088

Because my IEM are already quite sensitive and don't require much power.

High gain isn't needed with low impedance iems and headphones. High gain raises the noise floor and requires more battery.

It is funny how ie800 are a IEM that's harder to drive than over half of the headphones out there and I need to use high gain 
biggrin.gif

The last sensitive IEM I had was ie80, which really didn't need high gain, but everything I had in my collection after it needed this high gain 
gs1000.gif

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #6,535 of 7,088
It is funny how ie800 are a IEM that's harder to drive than over half of the headphones out there and I need to use high gain :D

The last sensitive IEM I had was ie80, which really didn't need high gain, but everything I had in my collection after it needed this high gain :gs1000smile:

IE800 are only 16 ohm. I've never read anything that says they're hard to drive, but I have no experience with them so I can't comment on what they require.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #6,536 of 7,088
IE800 are only 16 ohm. I've never read anything that says they're hard to drive, but I have no experience with them so I can't comment on what they require.

Hardest to drive IEMs in the world.

Don't go with the SPL or the impedance for this pair. It requires serious power to be driven well and to sound well. Will be quieter and harder to drive than meze 99 classics for example, and ie800 will not sound very good from a smartphone , nor very loud.

But they sound awesome when driven well, so it evens out!

The main reason I see / speculate is that they require some high voltage to fully achieve swing of the driver which is particularly harder to move and heavier than other drivers due to the small size and to counter the problems that can arise when a driver is too light in an IEM , problems like driver flex (?)

Of course, this is just speculation as to why they are so hard to drive .

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #6,537 of 7,088
Is there a way to fix this? People always say "oh, I use the file browsing system", but the really annoying thing about the file browser, is that when an album finishes - or I should say, when the song at the bottom of a folder is done playing - it will go down to the first track in the next folder. I would really appreciate it sometimes, when I get to the album if I could just have silence, and not have it go right to the first track in the next folder. I think this is rather unacceptable for a music player that costs so much money, and I have not seen any settings that would fix this.

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #6,539 of 7,088
Is there a way to fix this? People always say "oh, I use the file browsing system", but the really annoying thing about the file browser, is that when an album finishes - or I should say, when the song at the bottom of a folder is done playing - it will go down to the first track in the next folder. I would really appreciate it sometimes, when I get to the album if I could just have silence, and not have it go right to the first track in the next folder. I think this is rather unacceptable for a music player that costs so much money, and I have not seen any settings that would fix this.

Turn off playing through folders. It's under play settings at the bottom of the list.

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #6,540 of 7,088
I think I may have found a fix, actually. There's a setting called "play through folder" which I turned off and then tried fast fowarding to the end of a song at the bottom of a folder, it stopped. 

That's really amazing how many hidden tricks this thing has. Just when you think you're screwed, because it has some unbearable flaw, you find some way that the developers worked around it.

Holding the top left button brings up browse by alphabet letter. Going into the settings to turn on gapless playback, turning off play through folders, the light weight firmware, etc.

There's so many weird little tricks about this thing which are not apparent at all. It's amazing that it has them though. I still don't know what a low pass filter is. I think I read up on it and it said that it's for picking up quieter frequency sounds, or something? I have no idea.

Anyways, this is a pretty amazing little player. Not seemless and as easy to use as an ipod, but a great thing with great features. I'd take this thing over my old ipod any day, that's not even to mention it's flac capability and 2 micro sd card expansion slots (the main reason I got it in the first place).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back