Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jun 25, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #3,273 of 11,460

Mr Tunkejazz, I think you need to speak to your bank manager first. After you've spoken to him, speak to your psychiatrist. If your psychiatrist can't talk you out of buying the GEC, see you divorce lawyer and prepare for the worst. If after all that, you still manage to buy the GEC, then congrats..... you've attained nirvana despite the odds. Persistence will help you reach your end game.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #3,274 of 11,460
The difference between a GEC 6as7g curved base and a square base is more than subtle. Curve base construction is better. The glass is smoother and the shape more streamline whereas the square base is rougher and more angular. I have not been able to verify if there's any difference in tone because I have only one square base.

Suffice to say that they are both desirable and very expensive.

20170625_230935.jpg

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #3,275 of 11,460
I am trying to find a cheaper alternative than those GEC 6080, but it is very hard to know that I am missing something better...
Then again, the same argument may apply to my headphones (HD650), DAC (Mimby, in the office/Naim at home), and transport (a cheap PC via USB).

So far Tung-Sol 6080 look promising at 110 USD a pair. Any experience with those?

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #3,276 of 11,460
PCT If your weakness to spending money is a concern I will fly out and go with you to listen to the Utopia's, least I can do for a friend. I wonder if you bought a pair, they would sell you a second pair for your old friend at half price? Hmmmmm

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #3,277 of 11,460
I am trying to find a cheaper alternative than those GEC 6080, but it is very hard to know that I am missing something better...
Then again, the same argument may apply to my headphones (HD650), DAC (Mimby, in the office/Naim at home), and transport (a cheap PC via USB).

So far Tung-Sol 6080 look promising at 110 USD a pair. Any experience with those?

Need to be patient with tubes. I have not seen any Tung Sol 6080 for a while. They are not better than the premium tubes even though some say they are very good value.

After having Elise for 1.5 years, then I started buying GEC 6080 and 6as7g. I waited for the right price on the GEC 6080. This seller from New Zealand has 6 pairs. He had them for sale initially for $250 per pair. No one bought it, so he drop it to $200. Still no one bought it. Then it came down to $180. That's when I made him an offer of $160. To my surprised, he accepted. I started talking about it in the thread and the next thing I know, all the other 5 pairs were gone in less than a day. At $160 a pair NOS NIB, it is a very good price for this day and age.

GEC 6as7g were hardly seen for a while. Then suddenly many appeared on ebay, all selling for ~$500 per pair. It wasn't moving fast. It's not going to at that price unless you get someone who's willing to buy it. It's all about timing for individuals.

Then suddenly a seller from Australia listed a single GEC 6as7g square base for $80 buy out. I press the buy button without hesitation. He also listed a single Chatham 6080wb for $35. Again I press the button like a pro. Such offers are few and far in between.

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #3,278 of 11,460
I think I am done buying tubes. I can sense it. It's like when I was into Orchids. I start out with one pot. Then the interest bite and every orchid show, I'd be there and I'd take my wife along. I even join an Orchid society. Slowly the pots grew and I started to build a green house. :ksc75smile: That's when you know you're getting serious. Before I knew it, my orchid collections grew to $3000. For 3 years, flowers bloom non stop. It was amazing. I even entered the Orchid show competition and won for one of my rare variety. Got the winning ribbon and cert and feel very proud. :)

Then I went to Canberra to work. I didn't know I was going there for 5 years. It was an initial 6 months contract. So when I was there, no one look after my price orchids. They died... gradually. A pity but I was doing well in the capital so my hobby turn to car stereo and cycling.

Long story but here I am.... with too many tubes and too many tube amps and 3 headphones. If you told me this 5 years ago, I would never believe you. However, the sound from my system now is the best I've heard. Even better than the $10000 car stereo system that I had. Car stereo is really wasted money. Seriously why would anyone want to sound proof their car to make it sound really good? Well I was one of them. I had my fun and it was good. Serve me for that spell. All the hard work, I needed some sweetener.

Yup back to Head-fi... yes it was good. It would take a lot more money to get this level of enjoyment in a good home stereo system. I am at the high end of head-fi now. Well the sound I hear is high end. To me, high end doesn't mean high end in price. That's for Bill Gates. High end for me is a great sound from your setup and I got it even without Utopia.

Yggy seems a luxury at $2299 but seriously it's a game changer for me. It was my education in head-fi first hand. I didn't know that a DAC would wrought about so much difference in the head-fi chain. I can't believe this but I would actually ask each of you to consider this DAC or Gumby, even at this price. It is that good.

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #3,279 of 11,460
PCT If your weakness to spending money is a concern I will fly out and go with you to listen to the Utopia's, least I can do for a friend. I wonder if you bought a pair, they would sell you a second pair for your old friend at half price? Hmmmmm

I will threaten to sue him for elder abuse, and he will give us both free Utopia. But you have to take me to my favorite Mexican restaurant. We will drink pitchers of margaritas to celebrate :darthsmile:

Jun 25, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #3,281 of 11,460
I think I am done buying tubes. I can sense it. It's like when I was into Orchids. I start out with one pot. Then the interest bite and every orchid show, I'd be there and I'd take my wife along. I even join an Orchid society. Slowly the pots grew and I started to build a green house. :ksc75smile: That's when you know you're getting serious. Before I knew it, my orchid collections grew to $3000. For 3 years, flowers bloom non stop. It was amazing. I even entered the Orchid show competition and won for one of my rare variety. Got the winning ribbon and cert and feel very proud. :)

Then I went to Canberra to work. I didn't know I was going there for 5 years. It was an initial 6 months contract. So when I was there, no one look after my price orchids. They died... gradually. A pity but I was doing well in the capital so my hobby turn to car stereo and cycling.

Long story but here I am.... with too many tubes and too many tube amps and 3 headphones. If you told me this 5 years ago, I would never believe you. However, the sound from my system now is the best I've heard. Even better than the $10000 car stereo system that I had. Car stereo is really wasted money. Seriously why would anyone want to sound proof their car to make it sound really good? Well I was one of them. I had my fun and it was good. Serve me for that spell. All the hard work, I needed some sweetener.

Yup back to Head-fi... yes it was good. It would take a lot more money to get this level of enjoyment in a good home stereo system. I am at the high end of head-fi now. Well the sound I hear is high end. To me, high end doesn't mean high end in price. That's for Bill Gates. High end for me is a great sound from your setup and I got it even without Utopia.

Yggy seems a luxury at $2299 but seriously it's a game changer for me. It was my education in head-fi first hand. I didn't know that a DAC would wrought about so much difference in the head-fi chain. I can't believe this but I would actually ask each of you to consider this DAC or Gumby, even at this price. It is that good.

We will change your mind for sure. Do you know how big is the box the NOS WE 421A ships in? :)

Jun 25, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #3,282 of 11,460
I think I am done buying tubes.

There was a joke when I was a kid. It went like this. My father was a broken record, my mother was a broken record. But I'm not a broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record..........

Jun 25, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #3,283 of 11,460
We will change your mind for sure. Do you know how big is the box the NOS WE 421A ships in? :)

Let me see..... a NOS pair of WE 421A will cost $1000 - easily. So no, no and just NO, attmci. By the way each time I reply to you, I thought I'm speaking to Atthilla the hun. :)

Just sell me the box. I am not interested in the WE 421A tubes. That way I can put the Chinese 6N13P tube in it and brag that I have the WE 421A. :)

NOW, this is what you want. The mother of all power tube. It saws, it sings.... wait a minute - singing is the wrong word. It screeched, it yells, it thunders !!!!

2PCS-LOT-HIFI-Shuguang-font-b-Tube-b-font-6N13PT-6N13P-6N13P-T-generation-6H13C-6080.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back