Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Dec 2, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #3,406 of 13,846
This must be the inspiration for the bling amp:

interesting-car.jpg

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #3,411 of 13,846
This is something I have to try someday. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-tube-1626-FIVRE-NOS-BROWN-BLACK-BASE-CLEAN-VT-137-CV1755-TRIODE-12-6VOLT-/262165252751?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 Those 4 in the Elise. Should work, right? With the dual adapters?

A quick look on radio museum indicates that the pin out is different from others...heater pins are 2 and 7 instead of 7 and 8. So that means some other pins must be different too.

A look on ebay, don't see an adapter for them. Do you?

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #3,414 of 13,846
  Ah, that's too bad. They're so pretty. I feel like doing a DIY project, just have to find the right one. EL3N is nice, but H1 is already doing that. Any other proposals?

If it's better sound which translates into beautiful music you're looking for, then 2 Philips Miniwatt FDD20 with Chatham power tubes is quite unbeatable. I'm not sure you need any DIY project unless you want to do something.

I sit here listening in awe. I firmly believe I'm getting perfection overload. Anymore and I have to go to a rehab to dilute my ears.

Unfortunately for those with RVC, the Philips Miniwatts FDD20 are an improvement but fortunately too, the difference is not much. However in the realm of audio, a small percentage is significant enough to make us want to empty our wallets. 
biggrin.gif

I repeat even though I'm listening with total joy on the Philips Miniwatt FDD20, let that not deter you from getting the RVC FDD20. You're not missing much.

When I first plug in those tubes and start up, there was light only on one tube. The other was not lit. After a 30 secs or so, it lit up. Happiness and I started listening, then after a few songs the left channel has no sound. I look at Elise and saw that the left tube is unlit again. I heave a sigh. What is going on? So I unplug the misbehaving tube and inspected the contacts. They are black with paint. I look at my other RVC tubes and they are brass in colour. I took out my sandpaper and started gentle swipes on the contacts to review beautiful brass beneath. Plug it in again and hey presto it lit up like the stars.

Morale of the story. Don't despair when at first it doesn't work. Don't stomp on the tube. 
biggrin.gif

Proper review of the special FDD20 will be forth coming...after a few days.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #3,415 of 13,846
Ah, that's too bad. They're so pretty. I feel like doing a DIY project, just have to find the right one. EL3N is nice, but H1 is already doing that. Any other proposals?

This looks interesting:

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2012_09_01_archive.html

7.5 volt and 1.25 amp current draw, so external power required and a custom adapter needed.

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/8/841.pdf

:p

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #3,416 of 13,846
This looks interesting:

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2012_09_01_archive.html

Very interesting tube indeed. And it's a pretty one! I'm not sure how to make an adapter for a directly heated triode, though I guess I can look it up. It also appears that there aren't a whole lot of VT-51's on Ebay, so it might be hard to get a hold of a pair of these beauties. I'll have to look around for a bit. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #3,417 of 13,846
Very interesting tube indeed. And it's a pretty one! I'm not sure how to make an adapter for a directly heated triode, though I guess I can look it up. It also appears that there aren't a whole lot of VT-51's on Ebay, so it might be hard to get a hold of a pair of these beauties. I'll have to look around for a bit. 

You seem to have magic powers when it comes to digging up beautiful old triodes, Suuup...know you can do it :)

:p

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #3,418 of 13,846
Thomas Meyer's blog is a mine of interesting stuff. I think we can discover more tubes just reading his posts. We should spread it out now. Don't roll every tube under the sun in one month !!!

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #3,419 of 13,846
You seem to have magic powers when it comes to digging up beautiful old triodes, Suuup...know you can do it :)

tongue.gif

Thank you. I have gone through 10 pages on Google for Italian vacuum tube stores. Every site in Italian, sifting through their whole catalog, in pursuit of the Fivre 6N7G (I'm not even joking). I've contacted every seller of Italian tubes on Ebay that I could find.  

Thomas Meyer's blog is a mine of interesting stuff. I think we can discover more tubes just reading his posts. We should spread it out now. Don't roll every tube under the sun in one month !!!

Don't worry, my wallet doesn't allow for that. Wish it did though. One day..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back