DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
May 17, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #6,257 of 22,021
I am a newbie that, after following the thread, have bought a DX200. I am in the burn-in procces but a pair of things have happened to me and I want to share it with you:
  1. I am unable to connect to my 5G WiFi. 2.4G is OK. No dea why.
  2. When trying to use a Sandisk microSD 200GB as internal storage, I ran into a lot of problems till I decide to use it as portable. Now is working and I wonder if it's because of poor writing performance. If that's the case, Which microSD cards have you been able to use as Internal Storage?

Thanks in advance for the help

May 17, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #6,258 of 22,021
I have the CV5 and it is an excellent amp. You should try the Continental Dual Mono with the DX200. It brings the DX200 to a different level above the CV5.
I did think about the dual mono initially, but didn't want the dac. Is the dual mono dac any better than the dx-200?

May 17, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #6,259 of 22,021
I haven't been the biggest fan of the 200 in this thread so far, but I was willing to keep plugging away to try and make it work as a DX90 and DX80 owner.

To me the 200 with Amp1 sounds like a 3 way speaker with a good woofer and midrange crossed over at 6k to a ratty metal dome tweeter. Seriously. Sizzly, spitty disconnected highs that make sticking out like a sore thumb sound like a good idea in comparison.

Amp 2? Dull. And where's the bass impact and richness? Taming ratty highs isn't just about dulling everything down. This just throws extension and dynamics at the extremes away. Addition by subtraction? On first blush, yes. Because the ratty tweeter is gone. But so in bass impact. And the mids still don't have the organic richness of the DX90.

I never heard the DX100. I wonder just how good it is. Because, so far in the pecking order of iBassos I own the sonics go like this:

DX90>DX80>DX200 Amp2 >Dx200 Amp1

A still very disappointing user experience.

Understand, I'm picky. Very picky. I spent 2 years rebuilding my speaker Xovers with option after option of resistors and caps until I found what sounded like actual music (Jensen copper foil paper and oils and Duelund cast carbons).

This does not sound like actual music. It sounds like hifi. The DX90 sounds like actual music.
I think you are being a bit picky! I also have the Dx200, 90 and 80. I do think the amp1 in the DX-200 is ok, but not great. I pair mine with the Alo Audio continental V5 or Headamp pico power and get fantastic results. For me the DX-200 is about the dac and interface, rather than amp. I tend to prefer full sized headphones with my mobile rig, so amping is important for me. For iems, maybe the DX-200 would be fine as an all in one solution, but I haven't really tested it. I do really like the DX-200 dac implementation.....much as I love my DX-90 (I still use it with my chord mojo) for me the DX-200 is much more revealing and expansive.

May 18, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #6,260 of 22,021
I did think about the dual mono initially, but didn't want the dac. Is the dual mono dac any better than the dx-200?

ALO matched the DAC in the CDM to compliment the amp. The synergy is excellent. And the amp in the CDM is incredible. It's the best portable setup I've had.

The DACs are quite a bit different sounding in the CDM and the DX200. CDM is warmer and the DX200 neutral. Technically the DX200 is better but in musicality I think the CDM shines. When you pair the DX200 DAC with the CDM amp it give you another sound option. They work really well together.

The match between the DX200 and CDM give you quite a few different listening options which is very nice to have for someone like me that has an eclectic taste in music.

May 18, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #6,261 of 22,021
  1. When trying to use a Sandisk microSD 200GB as internal storage, I ran into a lot of problems till I decide to use it as portable. Now is working and I wonder if it's because of poor writing performance. If that's the case, Which microSD cards have you been able to use as Internal Storage?

Thanks in advance for the help

I'm using the same card and can't report about any issues with it so far.

May 18, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #6,262 of 22,021
I'm using the same card and can't report about any issues with it so far.
Thanks Chris. Are you using the card as "Internal Storage" or as "Portable"? When I tried to use it in the 1st mode I got a warning about the slowness of the card and If I continued that way the formating failed. When I retried as "Portable" everything was fine and I am now using the card successfully.

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #6,264 of 22,021
Thanks Chris. Are you using the card as "Internal Storage" or as "Portable"? When I tried to use it in the 1st mode I got a warning about the slowness of the card and If I continued that way the formating failed. When I retried as "Portable" everything was fine and I am now using the card successfully.
Use your card as portable. It seems to be THE way to do from what I have seen in the thread. I didn't format my card, it worked straight out of the box, though.

May 18, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #6,265 of 22,021
Are you using the card as "Internal Storage" or as "Portable"?
Why do you need to use microSD as "Internal storage" in a DAP? It does not require much of internal storage, but access to microSD in Portable mode is much faster, at least, because internal storage is encrypted.

HI i have a problem when playing dsd file and iso file on the Android OS. starting it play fine, only when the screen went sleep mode the playing turn choppy.
That's because Android stops 7 out of 8 CPU cores immediately when the display turns off, and it's not enough for DSD/ISO playback. That's why I've implemented CPU Turbo Mode in my firmware mod.

May 18, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #6,266 of 22,021
Thanks Chris. Are you using the card as "Internal Storage" or as "Portable"?

Err... I'm actually not sure to be frank (I just popped it in after the DX200 arrived, clicked away the popup windows that appeared in the notification bar and never worried about it again). I guess I'm using it as "Portable".

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #6,267 of 22,021
Why do you need to use microSD as "Internal storage" in a DAP? It does not require much of internal storage, but access to microSD in Portable mode is much faster, at least, because internal storage is encrypted..

Thanks for the answer Lurker. I thought of use it as "Internal Storage" so that the 64Gb and the SD data could be accessed as one big chunk of storage making management and xfer of files easier. But to be honest, "Portable" mode is flexible and really fast, so my needs in that sense are fulfilled.

Just a question, Did you ever had problems with WiFi? My DX200 seems unable to see 5G but connects to 2.4G..

May 18, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #6,268 of 22,021
Did you ever had problems with WiFi? My DX200 seems unable to see 5G but connects to 2.4G..
My DX200 connects at 5GHz just fine to both my home router (already ancient Asus RT-N66U) and Android tablet (Lenovo Yoga 2) in hot-spot mode. I'd suggest to install Wifi Analyzer to check which channels DX200 supports vs which channel your router uses. Available channels may depend on country selected, on both DX200 and your router.

May 18, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #6,269 of 22,021
My DX200 connects at 5GHz just fine to both my home router (already ancient Asus RT-N66U) and Android tablet (Lenovo Yoga 2) in hot-spot mode. I'd suggest to install Wifi Analyzer to check which channels DX200 supports vs which channel your router uses. Available channels may depend on country selected, on both DX200 and your router.
Thanks a lot Lurker. After changing my 5G control channel to 44 (initally was on the 100) now the DX200 is able to see 5G. Now I know everything works!!
This forum is awesome!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back