DIY Earbuds
Oct 8, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #31 of 4,721

Ok after a good amount of burn let's say 30 minutes, I decided to mod my Philips SHE3800 just to see whether they benefit from modding or not. :grin:

I think it sounds better than before. My impressions out of the box was that they were inferior to the Monk but I've changed my mind and rank them over the stock Monk now. :wink:

Now let's see if burn in would change the sound anymore. :thumbsup: Next step will be replacing the stock cable which is thin and probably bad quality to Audio Technica IM50 cable.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #32 of 4,721

The easiest Monk mod:

The green thing in the middle hole is Blutac. By adding a tiny bit Blutac, the soundstage expands, the mid-bass tames a bit, more laid back mids and subbass gets more prominent.

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #33 of 4,721
I decided to mod my Philips SHE3800 just to see whether they benefit from modding or not. :grin:

Nice clean looking cover removal. No mess, no breakage.
Any tip in how to get it done so tidily?

Thanks.

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #34 of 4,721
Nice clean looking cover removal. No mess, no breakage.
Any tip in how to get it done so tidily?

Thanks.

It's so easy mate. You need to push down the front cover slowly with your finger. Don't push hard when doing it.

Btw, I cannot believe how burn in turned these SHE3800 to an awesome sounding earbuds. No harsh treble. They are more accurate, clear and natural sounding than the Monk They are far far better than even my modded Monks. I still cannot believe what I'm hearing mate. I paired with Monk plus foams and loved it. Buy them and do the mod I've posted. You won't regret it!

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #35 of 4,721
It's so easy mate. You need to push down the front cover slowly with your finger. Don't push hard when doing it.

Btw, I cannot believe how burn in turned these SHE3800 to an awesome sounding earbuds. No harsh treble. They are more accurate, clear and natural sounding than the Monk They are far far better than even my modded Monks. I still cannot believe what I'm hearing mate. I paired with Monk plus foams and loved it. Buy them and do the mod I've posted. You won't regret it!

Thanks for the cover open tip.

Yup, that's what happens when mass-produce moving parts get to know each other properly :)
Always worries me sick whenever I listen to an earphone during its bedding-in  phase.
Imagine how many good earphones gets thrown away because owners thought they bought a lemon.

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #36 of 4,721
Thanks for the cover open tip.

Yup, that's what happens when mass-produce moving parts get to know each other properly :)
Always worries me sick whenever I listen to an earphone during its bedding-in  phase.
Imagine how many good earphones gets thrown away because owners thought they bought a lemon.

Well I don't know which helped the sound, the mod or burn in process but I think both of them. My impressions ottb was not good and found the sound unbearable coming from VE Monk and Zen 2.0. However my impressions have suddenly changed when I tried to mod since I knew that the drivers had some potential on the first listen. Well if you ask me everyone should buy the SHE3800 and see for themselves as they are so cheap. Now I'll order a few pairs for spare and gifts to my friends. :)

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #37 of 4,721
Guys. Any recommendations for not so pricey cable for braiding? Suitable for earbud of course. I already order some L plug and have my Philips for experiment. But no cable ATM.

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #38 of 4,721
Guys. Any recommendations for not so pricey cable for braiding? Suitable for earbud of course. I already order some L plug and have my Philips for experiment. But no cable ATM.

New Tingo 1.25m 16 Shares 5N Silver Plated Earphone Cables Headphone Wire HIFI Headset Line for Shure pin series (535/215 etc.)
http://s.aliexpress.com/U3INRrIB
(from AliExpress Android)

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #39 of 4,721

I bought mine on ebay.

This seller on Ali has some nice wires as well.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1500030/search?origin=y&SearchText=teflon

Not cheap though.

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #40 of 4,721
Thanks guys. Looking at some wire today. I guess I need to invest a little for 2-3 cable so buying a few metre is reasonable.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #41 of 4,721
Thanks guys. Looking at some wire today. I guess I need to invest a little for 2-3 cable so buying a few metre is reasonable.

More than 4 metres for a 4-way braid and double that for 8-way. And make sure to check that the wires can pass into the earbud's cable-entry hole before buying the wire.

In my case, braiding is my second option. My first (and lazier) option is the NAOI pre-tinned cable with molded L-plug. That's cost about $2.60 per piece.

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #43 of 4,721
Awesome mods Ozkan. Where is the best source to buy she3800? I see only iems when I search.

As for the mods you did on them, is that just cotton and a blob of bluetac? I did similar mods to my Foster t40rp. Have not tried on any earbuds.

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #45 of 4,721
I saw this on Ebay (US) - recabled MX500:

"Sennheiser MX500 S DIY upgrade bass HiFi In-Ear Headphones Earbuds silver cable"
$28.63 blue or black silver cable

Specifications
Plug type: 3.5mm
Cable length : 120 cm
Weight : 15 g
Frequency response :16-24500 Hz
Impedance : 32  Ohm
Sensitivity :115 dB 
Distortion : < 0.1 %
Microphone: No
Compatible : all 3.5 mm port cell phone.(i Phone ,Samsung ,LG ,HTC 
Music : compatibility all 3.5mm jack device.(cellphone, Portable Player, ipad , Table ,computer ..)
Colour: Black or Blue

-----------------------

One of the images states: High-level, high quality "sound parts" - Sound like Mx985
I added the quotes around "sound parts" I think they mean the drivers, lol.

Interesting re-cabled sennheiser's - possiblly with a different driver. Maybe there will be more local earbud DIY offerings?
I'm not affiliated with this seller and won't be providing a direct link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back