DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jul 5, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #7,188 of 10,535
Can anyone comment if the Neutrik NTP3RC right-angle plug works with cell-phone cases? The plug itself looks a bit short to me.

This one might work as it appears there is little extension of the plug housing. Unfortunately it's ugly, but judicious use of heat shrink might solve that issue.

51TrxeJiO-L.jpg

Different one to think about
HTB1h7sCKFXXXXaCXpXXq6xXFXXX2.jpg

And another one. Similar to the top one, but possibly less ugly.
HTB1dURBRpXXXXcOXVXXq6xXFXXX8.jpg

Oh, one more!
HTB18zazKVXXXXc3XXXXq6xXFXXXw.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #7,189 of 10,535
Thanks for the links. I saw that style, just wish that sleeve was shined up a bit more or something. It looks cheap.

I actually just discovered the Momentum-style as well (kinda pricey though). I might go with that. I just wish Markertek had some other options, their free shipping is awesome.

I suppose I have plenty of options, I'm just being picky.

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #7,190 of 10,535
Thanks for the links. I saw that style, just wish that sleeve was shined up a bit more or something. It looks cheap.

I actually just discovered the Momentum-style as well (kinda pricey though). I might go with that. I just wish Markertek had some other options, their free shipping is awesome.

I suppose I have plenty of options, I'm just being picky.
I updated my prior post. Check out the last entry. It might be consider pretty by some.

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #7,191 of 10,535
The last one looks a little too formal to me, the black and gold one above it might work. I'm planning on sleeving the cable with some black/blue paracord. All the black ones I'm finding have "Pailiccs" on them and it looks cheesy to me.

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #7,192 of 10,535
Yea the 2 wires was my initial worry too but apparently, I read somewhere in here stated by someone that twitsting the 2 wire tight enough can have a good lasting bond and it does work!
Once made, I have not had any that spontaneously untwisted, but then my headphones have SMC connectors that screw in. Of course, I somehow made left-handed twists so when I screw in the connectors, I untwist the cable...If you have screw in connectors, make sure to make a right-hand twist. I have to over-twist, then screw in the connectors so that the cable maintains the correct configuration.

When you twist, make sure to create almost a T or a wide V shape with the two strands before twisting. Both strands should wind around each other. If one of your strands appears kind of straight, then you are not doing a proper twist.

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #7,193 of 10,535
Thanks. I purchased some silver plated 24AWG wire and plan to make a 4 strand for the Ether C. I will sleeve with 95lb paracord and try the twist.
I made a cable for my Ether C's with paracord I will not make that mistake again horribly microphonic. Just saying.

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #7,194 of 10,535
I made a cable for my Ether C's with paracord I will not make that mistake again horribly microphonic. Just saying.
Great point. I made my first cable because of the cable noise (that noise isn't microphonics. microphonics is something different, but is commonly used for cable noise) and the Ether C. I ended up making one cable with latex tubing for sleeving between the tips and Y (works well), and another with SummerCable SC-peacock 2 unsleeved. Both have much less noise. I'm not sure what it is with the Ether C and cable noise, but they are very susceptible to it.

I'll make this silver plated cable for the Utopia instead. For some reason it works OK with paracord sleeved cables.

Many thanks for the heads-up.

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #7,195 of 10,535
The last one looks a little too formal to me, the black and gold one above it might work. I'm planning on sleeving the cable with some black/blue paracord. All the black ones I'm finding have "Pailiccs" on them and it looks cheesy to me.
If you intent to use it with paracord, make sure you check the dimension of the jack. The hole should be big enough for the cable with paracord to go through so that when completed, your cable will look more near rather than making a visible heatshrink on the outside.

Look at it, the momentum style may not be ideal in that case

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #7,196 of 10,535
Once made, I have not had any that spontaneously untwisted, but then my headphones have SMC connectors that screw in. Of course, I somehow made left-handed twists so when I screw in the connectors, I untwist the cable...If you have screw in connectors, make sure to make a right-hand twist. I have to over-twist, then screw in the connectors so that the cable maintains the correct configuration.

When you twist, make sure to create almost a T or a wide V shape with the two strands before twisting. Both strands should wind around each other. If one of your strands appears kind of straight, then you are not doing a proper twist.
Thanks! I think this is good for future note

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #7,197 of 10,535
I have a couple of those right angle plugs in rhodium that I can give out for free, just let me know.
Also I'll be an avid lurker here from now in case anyone needs cable advice. :beerchug:

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #7,198 of 10,535
Great point. I made my first cable because of the cable noise (that noise isn't microphonics. microphonics is something different, but is commonly used for cable noise) and the Ether C. I ended up making one cable with latex tubing for sleeving between the tips and Y (works well), and another with SummerCable SC-peacock 2 unsleeved. Both have much less noise. I'm not sure what it is with the Ether C and cable noise, but they are very susceptible to it.

I'll make this silver plated cable for the Utopia instead. For some reason it works OK with paracord sleeved cables.

Many thanks for the heads-up.
No it is the same. Microphonics means small or little sound/noise the same even if mechanical or electrical as in tube vibrations.

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #7,200 of 10,535
No it is the same. Microphonics means small or little sound/noise the same even if mechanical or electrical as in tube vibrations.
Maybe this definition is incorrect, but this is from Wikipedia

Microphonics or microphony describes the phenomenon wherein certain components in electronicdevices transform mechanical vibrations into an undesired electrical signal (noise). The term comes from analogy with a microphone, which is intentionally designed to convert vibrations to electrical signals.

The noise you hear from rubbing a cable does not fit this definition. The noise from a tube that is ringing does.

More from Wikipedia

The term is sometimes misused to describe sounds transmitted to the ear physically by mechanical vibrations or knocks on the wires of a headphone or in-ear monitor, when no disturbance of any electrical signal occurs.[5]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back