Denon AH-MM400
Mar 3, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #1,231 of 1,435
Does anyone have any amping experience with this hp? I have it in a dragonfly black but I get the sense that something might really bring it out of it shell. It sounds a little veiled at time, like there's something more if I could pull back the curtain. Maybe its just the hp tho.

I used mine first with an Fiio X1/Cayin C5 combo and now just with Fiio X5 II. I also have used it with with JDS Labs Element. I think it does benefit from having some power on tap. It seems to tighten and improve the impact of the bass and widen the sound slightly. This is just comparing it straight out of the computer, smartphone, and X1. I don't have any experience with the dragonfly black, though.

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #1,232 of 1,435
Hello to all

Does the mm400 got the denon signature sound like the D2000 / D5000 / D7000.
I have considered to buy those models used but i rather buy one new if it got the same characteristics.
Other headphones i considered was the akg K712 and meze 99.
Help will be appreciated.

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #1,233 of 1,435
I love these headphones. I am curious to know how they compare to the oppo pm3 though. I have read several reviews that say that neither is better than the other, they just differ. I like the sound signature of these headphones. I almost want to just go ahead and assume that there's no reason to add the oppo pm3 to my collection aside from pure curiosity. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #1,234 of 1,435
I love these headphones. I am curious to know how they compare to the oppo pm3 though. I have read several reviews that say that neither is better than the other, they just differ. I like the sound signature of these headphones. I almost want to just go ahead and assume that there's no reason to add the oppo pm3 to my collection aside from pure curiosity. 

The PM3 is objectively a better headphone, it's sound just isn't for everyone. Comfort and build wise, I think it's better than the MM400 unless your ears already fit well within the small earcups of the Denons.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #1,235 of 1,435

I have both and prefer the sound of the MM400s. I prefer the PM3s for everything else: build, comfort, aesthetics. The sound signatures of both are similar, but the PM3 sounds drier to me which could be just from better dampening and less resonance. I love both though and appreciate these slight differences. Another one to try if you love the MM400s is the Meze 99 Classics. I just got these and burning in now. First impressions are good with similar sound to MM400s. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #1,236 of 1,435
  I have both and prefer the sound of the MM400s. I prefer the PM3s for everything else: build, comfort, aesthetics. The sound signatures of both are similar, but the PM3 sounds drier to me which could be just from better dampening and less resonance. I love both though and appreciate these slight differences. Another one to try if you love the MM400s is the Meze 99 Classics. I just got these and burning in now. First impressions are good with similar sound to MM400s. 

The meze 99 looks like a really nice headphone, but I'm not sure if it would necessarily be a "travel" headphone, as in something that you could walk around with outside and not draw stares. The MM400s do have major comfort issues with the stock ear pads, but I did end up getting new ear pads for them, the "Meijunter Earpads for Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7" on amazon. They fix the comfort issues, otherwise they would be unusable because they hurt my the skin my ears (is there a good name for that part of your ears that touches the driver? I'm tired of calling it the "skin on my ears").

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,237 of 1,435
  The meze 99 looks like a really nice headphone, but I'm not sure if it would necessarily be a "travel" headphone, as in something that you could walk around with outside and not draw stares. The MM400s do have major comfort issues with the stock ear pads, but I did end up getting new ear pads for them, the "Meijunter Earpads for Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7" on amazon. They fix the comfort issues, otherwise they would be unusable because they hurt my the skin my ears (is there a good name for that part of your ears that touches the driver? I'm tired of calling it the "skin on my ears").

Are those earpads a good fit? If so, then I will definitely be ordering a pair myself. I am using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016AHYRNW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on the 3.5mm connector of the left ear piece. It fits snugly and securely and allows me to use many aftermarket cables. Currently I use Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable that was made for the PM3 on both my MM400 and PM3.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #1,238 of 1,435
  Are those earpads a good fit? If so, then I will definitely be ordering a pair myself. I am using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016AHYRNW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on the 3.5mm connector of the left ear piece. It fits snugly and securely and allows me to use many aftermarket cables. Currently I use Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable that was made for the PM3 on both my MM400 and PM3.

I don't know about cables (I heard the v-moda one fits well, but I have yet to upgrade the cables). The earpads do fit well though, they don't fall off easily once they're on the headphones. Don't buy the "Replacement Softer Ear Pads Cushion For Audio Technica ATH MSR-7 & LTD" though, those ones just barely fit, and if they were just a tiny bit smaller they would be a good snug fit for the earphones. I have been thinking about seeing if using a hair drier on them would shrink them a little bit, but I haven't tried that yet. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #1,239 of 1,435
I have considered to buy those models used but i rather buy one new if it got the same characteristics.

Anybody?

Thanks

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #1,240 of 1,435

Anybody?

Thanks

No. It is less V-shaped. The sound signature compares with the Oppo PM-3 and Meze 99 Classics, both of which I own, but is punchier. With the Meze 99, if I lower the 62Hz by a couple of dB in the Fiio X5 II's eq, I get almost the same sound as the MM400. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #1,242 of 1,435
Hi guys, I am about to get new headphones and cannot decide between Denon AH-MM400 and Audio Technica ATH-MSR7. I think I am more towards the denons as I also have HP800 and they sound amazing. Please help me out and if you can compare these that would be great. THANKS

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #1,243 of 1,435
Hi guys, I am about to get new headphones and cannot decide between Denon AH-MM400 and Audio Technica ATH-MSR7. I think I am more towards the denons as I also have HP800 and they sound amazing. Please help me out and if you can compare these that would be great. THANKS

The MSR7 has more clarity and high end presence while the MM400 is darker but more full bodied. I personally prefer the looks and fit of the Denons and the ability to fold them for storage. The MSR7 has a plastic bulge where the drivers are that contact my ear and feel a bit uncomfortable. I think the Denons might perform a little better than the MSR7s sound quality wise though that means nothing if you love a brighter sound. The Denons isolate more since they are closed whereas the MSR7s are vented/semi-open. Of course, the Denons are also more expensive if you are budget constrained.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #1,244 of 1,435
Many thanks! I can get MSR7 for 170 and Denons for 200 pounds. So, I think I am going t get the Denons in next few days. I prefer good isolation and definitely a slightly darker sound. I heard that MM400 have great bass signature which I hope is something better than my Denon HP800. I can check / test the MSR7 at local shop so I will at least look at them and try for few minutes. Again thanks for the tip here. Cheers

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #1,245 of 1,435
I just got them..... very happy they are really impressive piece of art. I want thank you all for the recommendations and info you have posted here. Only spent with them couple of hours but I love what I hear right now. I will certainly post a review about all details just some quick summary / impressions now.

They do feel special and it all starts with the actual packaging. Its quite heavy when you pick it up and makes you wonder why.
These do not have caring case but they have superb box they come with. The box is high quality and everything inside feels the same way.
I am going to use it to rest them while not at work. They also come with fabric bag but the fabric again high quality and premium feel to it,
very soft material.

The headphones itself feel very nice, just metal and wood... fantastic. They are quite heavy but I don't feel uncomfortable while wearing them.
I actually like the fact they have some weight at least you know they are from proper materials.

The only letdown were the two cables included. They are pretty thin for such good headphones and definitely this cries for an upgrade.
Maybe they could let one thin and one thicker for indoor use. With the upgrade you must be careful as the socket for jack is unique oval
shape and you wont fit there even some tinny jacks you might able to find. I have ordered some cables online which suppose to fit
these so I am curious if they will. In worst case scenario I need to modify some connector myself.

They feel very soft, pads and headband are really soft and nice to the touch. They fit very well to my head (I have normal maybe small head
and ears) so I don't have any issues wearing these. I was expecting higher clamp force but it is just perfect and much more relaxed from my
HP800s. In terms of comfort they are way better. I can certainly have these for hours if not days on my head. I was also worried that maybe
they might be a bit too small not only for my ears but overall the cups would be too tinny.... well they are not and again I think the size is perfect
for me. People with bigger heads / ears might find issues with these as some of you already pointed in this thread and sent them back... luckily
not my case.

Sound is like a soft butter for my ears... exactly what I was expecting, very relaxed to listen to anything but I wonder how far they improve after
some burn in. Bass is nice deep and punchy as I am used to from Denon's, well done. Mids are detailed and wide, trebles are crisp and defnitely
not harsh... As I mentioned before the Denon's sound signature just suit my ears and makes me much happier than signature I know from Sennheiser,
Beyer and other headphones. Denon is definitely my number one headphone company, no doubt. Can't wait to compare these with some other
premium models and see if there is anything similar perhaps better than these.

By the way if somebody in London and has MSR7s or some interesting piece of headphones and would like to compare them give me a shout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back