Cozoy REI - DAC/Amp for PC/iOS/Android
Mar 28, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #61 of 93
Just received my cozoy and I must say I'm impressed so far. I will be doing a full writeup soon (full disclosure, I received a discount on my purchase on the condition I write a review), but the very first thing that struck me was how truly small this really is. Dimensionally it is just a little longer than my dragonfly red (though quite a bit shorter than dfr plus either apple cck) about twice width of the dragonfly red, but only half as thick.

However, in use it seems much smaller than the dragonfly because I don't need to use the cck. This is a real game changer because it is thin enough that out of my iphone 7+, whereas before I might occasionally use the Apple supplied lightning to 3,5mm adapter because it was significantly smaller than the dragonfly with the cck (especially the usb 3.0 cck), I can't see a reason why I would use the Apple adaptor over the REI.

Here's another picture of the REI next to my Kaiser encore for scale. It is really really small. For another reference point it is about the length of a piece of extra chewing gum, About 50% wider, and about at tall as two pieces stacked.

I have only listened to it for a few hours, so my impressions thusfar are preliminary, but I have so far listened to my Noble Encores, my audeze isine 20s, my audioquest nighthawk, and my fostex th-x00 and the little DAC has more than enough juice to drive all of them, although none are particularly hard to drive. For the nobles and the isine's my loudest comfortable listening level is around the halfway mark, a little higher for the th-x00, and about 3/4 for the nighthawks.

I've tried it out of both my iphone 7 plus and my macbook pro using tidal (both hi-fi and mqaasters tracks). The background out of all the headphones I've tried them with is dead quiet, even on my Noble Encores, through which I can hear a slight hiss out of even my mojo. Sonically, initially impressions are that it it has a very musical, perhaps slightly warm presentation that is both very smooth and liquidy but still detailed. Cymbals out of the nobles have that shimmer that I find so amazing about them, but whereas out of other sources they can get right up to the edge of being harsh (rarely over, but close enough that I start to steel myself to hearing harshness), out of the REI it never gets there. I haven't directly compared the REI to my mojo yet, but it shares that quality with it. Compared to my dragonfly, the sound out of the REI has more depth and three dimensionality.

As for battery drain from my iphone, it seems to be about the same as my dragonfly red.

May 13, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #62 of 93
I've placed mine in the For Sale forums on the site. I think it's an amazing achievement in sound but I just don't travel enough to use them.

May 22, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #63 of 93
Hello, friends.
I choose the best mobile transport (player or smartphone) to my REI.
Lok from Cozoy said me that in iDevices Usb audio implementation better than on Android devices. And I decided to buy iPod touch 6 as a best transport for REI.
Please, suggest to me am I right with this choice?

May 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #72 of 93
Someone had more lucky than me. I lost a pouch with my brand new Cozoy REI and something more inside in Qatar airport (most likely).

I hope the new owner enjoy it too. lol

Jun 1, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #73 of 93
Just received my cozoy and I must say I'm impressed so far. I will be doing a full writeup soon (full disclosure, I received a discount on my purchase on the condition I write a review), but the very first thing that struck me was how truly small this really is. Dimensionally it is just a little longer than my dragonfly red (though quite a bit shorter than dfr plus either apple cck) about twice width of the dragonfly red, but only half as thick.

However, in use it seems much smaller than the dragonfly because I don't need to use the cck. This is a real game changer because it is thin enough that out of my iphone 7+, whereas before I might occasionally use the Apple supplied lightning to 3,5mm adapter because it was significantly smaller than the dragonfly with the cck (especially the usb 3.0 cck), I can't see a reason why I would use the Apple adaptor over the REI.

Here's another picture of the REI next to my Kaiser encore for scale. It is really really small. For another reference point it is about the length of a piece of extra chewing gum, About 50% wider, and about at tall as two pieces stacked.

I have only listened to it for a few hours, so my impressions thusfar are preliminary, but I have so far listened to my Noble Encores, my audeze isine 20s, my audioquest nighthawk, and my fostex th-x00 and the little DAC has more than enough juice to drive all of them, although none are particularly hard to drive. For the nobles and the isine's my loudest comfortable listening level is around the halfway mark, a little higher for the th-x00, and about 3/4 for the nighthawks.

I've tried it out of both my iphone 7 plus and my macbook pro using tidal (both hi-fi and mqaasters tracks). The background out of all the headphones I've tried them with is dead quiet, even on my Noble Encores, through which I can hear a slight hiss out of even my mojo. Sonically, initially impressions are that it it has a very musical, perhaps slightly warm presentation that is both very smooth and liquidy but still detailed. Cymbals out of the nobles have that shimmer that I find so amazing about them, but whereas out of other sources they can get right up to the edge of being harsh (rarely over, but close enough that I start to steel myself to hearing harshness), out of the REI it never gets there. I haven't directly compared the REI to my mojo yet, but it shares that quality with it. Compared to my dragonfly, the sound out of the REI has more depth and three dimensionality.

As for battery drain from my iphone, it seems to be about the same as my dragonfly red.

Why hello there :p

I am currently using the iSIne20 and a Geek out v2a Infinity and was considering changing over to the Rei.
Would love to hear your impressions of the combination.

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #74 of 93
No idea about the combination, but I'd have to say that the Cozoy REI is definitely an impressive product. I've been using it with a Shure SE535 and it sounds incredible. The combination might be better than the Mojo for me.

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #75 of 93
Why hello there :p

I am currently using the iSIne20 and a Geek out v2a Infinity and was considering changing over to the Rei.
Would love to hear your impressions of the combination.

The REI drives both the iSine 20 and the LCDi4 remarkably well. Compared to the Mojo, the Mojo has better instrument separation, but the REI has a somewhat meatier, more substantial midrange. Both are very fun sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back