Cozoy REI - DAC/Amp for PC/iOS/Android
Jan 11, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #32 of 93
If it's an improved Aegis (beget volume control and less battery drain) and eschews the DSP Cozoy put into Astrapi, I can see this being an interesting product. I'd be up for testing it out, but at $550 it's not something I'd buy lightly...

Cozoy did state to me that the REI draws more current than the Aegis. IIRC, when I measured the current draw of the Aegis, it was about 65 MA quiescent current, a bit over twice that of the Astrapi.

I think the REI will be great for desktops or laptops but the small batteries in phones will likely drain pretty quickly when decoding HiRes files or powering inefficient headphones.

I guess someone just needs to take one for the team and report back with some specific details. AFAIK, only a couple of Head-Fi'ers have head the REI to date.

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #34 of 93
I'm also very [COLOR=222222]interested[/COLOR] about temperature

There appears to be considerably more metal surface to dissipate heat on the REI in comparison to the Aegis. Again, time will tell.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #35 of 93
It got a little bit warm in my heavy winter overcoat pocket, which is designed to warm me up. But never hot or overly warm.

Outside on a table it was fine.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #36 of 93
It got a little bit warm in my heavy winter overcoat pocket, which is designed to warm me up. But never hot or overly warm.

Outside on a table it was fine.

It gets a bit war, yes. Not hot to touch or anything. It is a high-powered device, delivering something like 6-8dB more volume from its headphone output. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #38 of 93
  Is there any information about the recommended headphone impedance range or the output impedance?

It must be practically zero, or no more than 0,5Ω, as it handles every earphone I've sent its way perfectly (by RMAA). It puts out about 6-9dB more volume than an iPhone 6, putting it damn near close to an AK380 in terms of power. So, if you feel that the AK380 isn't powerful enough for your headphones, then... that's the best guideline I can give.

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #40 of 93

My review is now live:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/cozoy-rei-mini-dac-headphone-amplifier-dsd256-32bit-384khz-for-for-android-ios-pc-laptop-iphone7/reviews/17911

enjoy

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #41 of 93
I received my REI yesterday and have been conducting some preliminary testing with my Android devices. Unfortunately, I can't report on i-device compatibility as I have never owned an Apple product.

Not to repeat Expat's excellent review, I will limit my comments to some of the most notable of my early impressions.

First off, based on the photos I have seen and the overall shape, I was expecting a device approximating the size of the Shozy Alien. I was astounded to discover the miniscule size of the REI! It is only slightly larger than my Shanling M1 as you can see from the pix below.

Secondly, I discovered that it is rather picky on what it decides to play with. I tried the following devices: DX200 DAP, Sony Xperia tablet, Google Pixel Chromebook, HTC10 smartphone and Shanling M1 DAP. With the M1, Xperia and Pixel, USB connection was immediate but with the HTC10 and DX200 it was impossible to achieve a connection, despite rebooting, reconnecting, etc. With the DX200, the REI play/pause button worked properly and the REI began to warm, but no sound was heard regardless of what player app I used. With the HTC10, no connection was shown on the phone's USB setting menu. In comparison, using the same cables, my Shozy DAC/Amp connected immediately to all of my devices, although power was being supplied by the Shozy internal battery.

With the devices that were able to be connected, the sound was outstanding both when streaming Tidal and with my lossless ripped files. The sound was rich, expansive and almost holographic. Musical detail was rendered beautifully throughout the frequency range. Instrumental and vocal timbre was spot on and very lifelike. Lots of weight to the music with almost palpable bass.

I suspect that my failure to connect may be related to the available supply voltage delivered from the USB port of the non-connectable devices. Attempting to use the USB Audio Player Pro did not improve matters.

I also am guessing that the REI is a Class A device as it begins to heat as soon as connected, even with no music playing. I measured a temperature of 99.1 F after about an hour of use.

While I am very impressed with the audio quality of the REI, I am less pleased with the connectivity issues I am experiencing. I will likely have to limit the use of the REI to my tablets and desktop rather than for use with my DAP's. While the M1 worked flawless with the REI, the small internal battery of the M1 resulted in slightly less than 2 hours of battery life. I will give this another try as this is the ideal pairing otherwise.

More to come later~~~~

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #42 of 93
I received my REI yesterday and have been conducting some preliminary testing with my Android devices. Unfortunately, I can't report on i-device compatibility as I have never owned an Apple product.

Not to repeat Expat's excellent review, I will limit my comments to some of the most notable of my early impressions.

First off, based on the photos I have seen and the overall shape, I was expecting a device approximating the size of the Shozy Alien. I was astounded to discover the miniscule size of the REI! It is only slightly larger than my Shanling M1 as you can see from the pix below.

Secondly, I discovered that it is rather picky on what it decides to play with. I tried the following devices: DX200 DAP, Sony Xperia tablet, Google Pixel Chromebook, HTC10 smartphone and Shanling M1 DAP. With the M1, Xperia and Pixel, USB connection was immediate but with the HTC10 and DX200 it was impossible to achieve a connection, despite rebooting, reconnecting, etc. With the DX200, the REI play/pause button worked properly and the REI began to warm, but no sound was heard regardless of what player app I used. With the HTC10, no connection was shown on the phone's USB setting menu. In comparison, using the same cables, my Shozy DAC/Amp connected immediately to all of my devices, although power was being supplied by the Shozy internal battery.

With the devices that were able to be connected, the sound was outstanding both when streaming Tidal and with my lossless ripped files. The sound was rich, expansive and almost holographic. Musical detail was rendered beautifully throughout the frequency range. Instrumental and vocal timbre was spot on and very lifelike. Lots of weight to the music with almost palpable bass.

I suspect that my failure to connect may be related to the available supply voltage delivered from the USB port of the non-connectable devices. Attempting to use the USB Audio Player Pro did not improve matters.

I also am guessing that the REI is a Class A device as it begins to heat as soon as connected, even with no music playing. I measured a temperature of 99.1 F after about an hour of use.

While I am very impressed with the audio quality of the REI, I am less pleased with the connectivity issues I am experiencing. I will likely have to limit the use of the REI to my tablets and desktop rather than for use with my DAP's. While the M1 worked flawless with the REI, the small internal battery of the M1 resulted in slightly less than 2 hours of battery life. I will give this another try as this is the ideal pairing otherwise.

More to come later~~~~

No pain no gain 
tongue_smile.gif

It has certain requirement on usb output, may be solved by 3rd party apps sometimes...
HTC always struggle with usb otg though

If it's an improved Aegis (beget volume control and less battery drain) and completely eschews the DSP Cozoy put into Astrapi, I can see this being an interesting product. I'd be up for testing it out, but at $550 it's not something I'd buy lightly...

Better volume yes less battery drain no,
it would be a joke if we claim something performing much much better and drains much less battery decoding high res files.
No major improvements for years on the datasheets (for dacs, regarding power intake) as you can see...
we aren't making something like graphic card or CPU lol, it is an audio device afterall.

A small reference too, deducting the buttons and battery size also empty places on board, REI actually has similar or at least a good portion of circuit size with some other devices which looks 20 times bigger. However the focus of the design is to minimize redundunt parts and mainly to regulate the power supply
*There is quite some legendary devices from other categories focusing on the same area if we look back*

*taking out his m1 to play with rei* seems like the stock cable from m1 doesn't work with REI...? can anyone help confirm?
bigsmile_face.gif

Time to create a mini DAP+DAC+AMP+power supply stack!

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #44 of 93
It seems as though the REI was designed primarily for the iPhone crowd as my connectivity has been spotty with some of my devices (DX80, DX200 and HTC10) My Shozy Magic DAC/Amp of comparable size does, however, work just fine with all of these, so if someone is interested in acquiring my REI, please let me know via PM.

Positives are:
Great sound
Small size
Very smooth and gradual volume control

Power required seems to be about the same as the Aegis.

Did I say great sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back