Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 26, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #6,346 of 22,510
Tried the LCD4 rev1 with these. The hugo2 made me think whether i even need my desktop rig anymore. Very nice.
20170726_184451.jpg

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #6,347 of 22,510
Concerning the early comparisons of H2 and TT it would be interesting which Input was used.
I could imagine the described advantages of TT might be due to galvanic isolation, since there were posts talking favorable about H2 and Iso Regen and other isolators.

If desired advantages were heard vial USB it would be interesting how this behaves via optical.
The source should also be taken in account, since a dedicated music server is likely more capable than a mobile phone to deliver a low noise signal.

Cheers

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #6,348 of 22,510
Concerning the early comparisons of H2 and TT it would be interesting which Input was used.
I could imagine the described advantages of TT might be due to galvanic isolation, since there were posts talking favorable about H2 and Iso Regen and other isolators.

If desired advantages were heard vial USB it would be interesting how this behaves via optical.
The source should also be taken in account, since a dedicated music server is likely more capable than a mobile phone to deliver a low noise signal.

Cheers
Its not just galvanic isolation and of course everything is controlled. I am not alone in this observation. For that matter ch2 is better with the server but it isn't no TT.
CH2 will make a fine desktop as did ch1 tho. Its certainly a better portable

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #6,350 of 22,510
Are you from HK?
Are you sure Hong Kong will be receiving the first shipment in a day or two, I called up the local dealer ECT this afternoon and they had no clues on the shipment whatsoever.
I'm not sure. That's all my dealer told me. I hope it's true, keep checking with your dealer.:fingers_crossed:

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #6,351 of 22,510

Cheers
I compared the TT n hugo2 few weeks ago, the only thing TT is better at is power and XLR

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #6,352 of 22,510
I compared the TT n hugo2 few weeks ago, the only thing TT is better at is power and XLR

Actually, the TT has less power. The myth that 'better' sound is only from more power continues....

Even if one device had more max power, if listening to the same headphone at the same volume then both source gear will provide the same power output to that load... regardless of the max power spec, and typically the actual output is far less than the max power spec for most users listening levels.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #6,353 of 22,510
Hey there @Whazzzup ,
Thanks for further explaining your findings.
Even though I like to add that a controlled comparison is somewhat of a challenge, since you would need to know how the galvanical isolaton is implemented in TT... I am nitpicking here, I know...

Then there is the synergy with the phones your using.
I remember experienced members said that they prefer Utopias from H2 over DAVE...

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #6,354 of 22,510
Actually, the TT has less power. The myth that 'better' sound is only from more power continues....

Even if one device had more max power, if listening to the same headphone at the same volume then both source gear will provide the same power output to that load... regardless of the max power spec, and typically the actual output is far less than the max power spec for most users listening levels.

Well the extra headroom could come handy if u use stuffs like he6 or susvara

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #6,355 of 22,510
Well the extra headroom could come handy if u use stuffs like he6 or susvara

There's always going to be some outliers, of course, but without mentioning specific headphones it's just generalizations. The point was that the OP perceived the TT as 'better' at power with no further description, which isn't true in this specific case.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #6,356 of 22,510
I won't list all the advantages from the block design that lowers harmonic distortion, to super capacitors etc about TT..the myth about power in TT exemplifies how TT has been misunderstood since its launch, and continues to this day. Even with ch2 technical refinements and smoother detail, the TT just has more weight and depth to it. Even if its distortion, it still is an amazing desktop. I imagine in a couple of years with the upgrade to TT2 it will be an even better desktop as ch2 is as a portable. Frankly ch1 is darn good as well, this is a testament to the quality of chord products and line differentiation now gives customers price and preferences many options.
Now its preliminary analysis at this point maybe 10 hours, I need another 10-20 so, let the enjoyment of listening continue. I have no doubt that some folks may feel different concerning my summary but on the other hand I don't play my encores through TT, prefer the ch1 at this point....

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #6,357 of 22,510
There's always going to be some outliers, of course, but without mentioning specific headphones it's just generalizations. The point was that the OP perceived the TT as 'better' at power with no further description, which isn't true in this specific case.
As per my observation it is positive the TT could get em to louder levels vs the H2. I didnt claim it to sound better tho. In fact i liked the H2 more with almost all stuffs i tried

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #6,358 of 22,510
As per my observation it is positive the TT could get em to louder levels vs the H2. I didnt claim it to sound better tho. In fact i liked the H2 more with almost all stuffs i tried
the louder levels is an illusion, what TT does and always has is have a darker signature with more bass impact and slam, and i perceive this gives it a more depth. While i have no doubt the ch2 has a more refine detail and smoother presentation that may be more to ones liking, i know from pm discussions that I'm not alone in my TT observations.
This for me is not a competition but a parle of preferences that allow from outside the mania of a new launch allow lurkers to sort out there options. There are no losers here from ch1, ch2, TT or dave.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #6,359 of 22,510
Its not just galvanic isolation and of course everything is controlled. I am not alone in this observation. For that matter ch2 is better with the server but it isn't no TT.
CH2 will make a fine desktop as did ch1 tho. Its certainly a better portable
Ain't it possible that with people's fixation on galvanic isolation, that they're forgetting the super capacitors (transiant power reserves) in the TT, that might give better amplification? Never heard a TT 'till the video above; just wondering.

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #6,360 of 22,510
Again let's leave out the concept of better and think of preference. But here is a quote from mediahound on the TT threads and I have had other ch2 owners who have compared TT pm and agree, granted I could see the other way as well.

"While I'm anxious to review the Hugo2 at home, I've heard it at a show and didn't think it sounded better than the TT at all.

Keep in mind that Hugo2 is missing a lot of things the TT has:

-Galvanic isolation on the USB. This stops RF noise from the source creating noise floor modulation within the analog electronics. It also prevents signal correlated but distorted ground currents from corrupting the small signal distortion performance. The SQ benefits are smoother and warmer SQ with better instrument separation and focus, and better sound-stage depth.

-Beefed up Output stage – increased bias current. This means that with lower impedance headphones it will be in Class A for more time, making it sound smoother.

- Beefed up power supply – double the batteries and addition of super caps (10,000,000uF (microfarads) of supercapacitor energy storage) reducing power supply impedance.

- Improved reference circuitry – lower impedance and noise.

- Chassis machined from solid block – reduces effects of vibration.

These all contribute to the audio quality. It's not only about taps folks."

Ch2 is an excellent portable and a legit desktop replacement. Take your time rob and frank but looking forward to tt2 some year.

I'm going to shut up now until my summary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back