Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 27, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #4,891 of 22,475
For one thing I know that DAC 2 gives HUGO a good run for its money
Seems like your home system needs to be setup properly.

Now playing: Geir Botnen, Knut Hamre & Reidun Horei - Grieg's Norwegian Folk Songs and Peasant Dances from Op.66 & op.72

Jun 27, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #4,892 of 22,475
From all the posting here recently, it's becoming quite clear that we are desperately in need of some in-depth; objective; impartial; studied DAC comparisons (and not a la 'What Hi-Fi' lol! :wink:).

Trouble is, of course, very few folks are fortunate enough to own/have access to, a nice comprehensive range of appropriate contenders. On top of which, as altering just one single other element in a system can have quite dramatic effects on the final result... surely, the only really meaningful assessment (for oneself) can be comparison with one's existing equipment, and in one's own environment?!
And which is why I sincerely hope my own H2 arrives before CanJam London, as I do not place much faith in attempting to achieve any really meaningful insight by comparing different DACs, with different setups (amidst undoubted high ambient noise!) at such a venue alas...

However, it is of course indeed still nice/encouraging to hear others' personal findings/impressions upon receipt of such a (relatively) small bundle of joy. Plus, there's the extra rejoicing that Rob Watts's expertise and own assessment bring to us lesser mortals...especially in the face of some in-depth questioning of his (and Chord's) methodology regarding the ever-present constraints when manufacturing to a 'price point'. I personally remain confident that Chord have somehow managed to come up with a product that does indeed surpass anything "anywhere near the price"...I only wish I could afford said 'appropriate contenders' to ratify such confidence...(and the total objectivity/impartiality/skills with which to carry out such a momentous task!...is there anyone out there up to/for it?!! :beyersmile:).

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #4,893 of 22,475
Three imho very disappointing and unfortunate examples where design and looks seem to have ruled strongly over ultimate SQ, and obviously limiting its usablity in a high end home system.
What good is a remote if you can't connect a high quality cable to it in the first place.
Sorry if I come through a big moaner again. But I had slightly higher expectations as to build quality and practical usability aspects from HUGO 2.
I really like it when theory marries practice and does so at a reasonable price.
It seems I will have to carefully audition both Benchmark's DAC 3 and some other competitors' DACs before deciding. For one thing I know that DAC 2 gives HUGO a good run for its money and betters it is some respects in a high end home system Now it seems this review puts DAC 3 in direct competition with HUGO 2.
And does so for purely sonic reasons.
They obviously did not like the looks of the Benchmark much.
Personally I couldn't care less about looks and design. I listen to my equipment and and look with suspicion at products that hide behind fancy looks.
I won't buy HUGO 2 if it only proves to be sligthly better via headphones over HUGO in practical use.

No super-capacitors, because you would have something that provides no audible benefit, costs money, takes up space and may lead to maintenance issues in the future? The Hugo2 is a portable device and it comes with the compromises that entails. To me it is not competing with the likes of Benchmark's DAC 3 because it is meant to be used in a totally different way. It sounds like 3qute should provide what you are after. I think you should wait for that before deciding. Hopefully Chord will design it in an intelligent and rational way. I will take a practical economical design over a fancy expensive one any day of the week. In other words, no need for any fancy colored balls or milled from solid case. Just give us the electronics and software please. Chord, are you listening?

It would be interesting to know just how much people who buy a Hugo2 are paying for the fancy balls and case.

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #4,894 of 22,475
No super-capacitors, because you would have something that provides no audible benefit, costs money, takes up space and may lead to maintenance issues in the future? The Hugo2 is a portable device and it comes with the compromises that entails. To me it is not competing with the likes of Benchmark's DAC 3 because it is meant to be used in a totally different way. It sounds like 3qute should provide what you are after. I think you should wait for that before deciding. Hopefully Chord will design it in an intelligent and rational way. I will take a practical economical design over a fancy expensive one any day of the week. In other words, no need for any fancy colored balls or milled from solid case. Just give us the electronics and software please. Chord, are you listening?

It would be interesting to know just how much people who buy a Hugo2 are paying for the fancy balls and case.

I should imagine we are paying a fair sum for the not inconsiderable amount of Research and Development?!

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #4,896 of 22,475
Just heard some good news. My Hugo2 should be in my hands a week tomorrow.
@Mojo ideas, or @Rob Watts: Would it be possible for me to get hold of a text or html version of the user manual for H2? The .PDF version is formatted in such a way that it appears to be out of order, contentwise. I can't process the document properly to read it.
Please respond at your leasure.

Hey there,

The manual is rather an illustrated spreadsheet with the text bits sprinkled in and is indeed out of order.
Anyway would it help if I copied the text bits in order and send it to you?

Cheers

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #4,897 of 22,475
For me the manual was clear, easy to understand and a real breath of fresh air with its futuristic design. naim audio seem to also be adopting the white on black layout from their website.

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #4,898 of 22,475
Have you heard, by the way, about your delivery, Mike?
I had an email on the 13th, stating that the dealer expected to have my Hugo 2 on the 30th.
On their product webpage, the message 'delay 3 to 5 days' is displayed, and i expect it to change to 'delay 1 to 3 days' tomorrow. Based on my experience from the previous 3 expected shipping dates, the webpage message will change to 'delay - contact us' on the 30th, signifying that the Hugo 2 did not arrive, and they have no idea when it will.

So the best case result is that I receive my Hugo 2 next week, but I am not letting my hopes rise too far, and i will only believe the shipping date, when I finally have the Hugo 2 in my hands.
Sorry if this sounds negative, but there have been too many false dawns.

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #4,899 of 22,475
For me the manual was clear, easy to understand and a real breath of fresh air with its futuristic design. naim audio seem to also be adopting the white on black layout from their website.

It is however hard to be processed by software developed to help the visually impaired.

Cheers

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #4,900 of 22,475
as much as i love chird's products and eagerly await my blu 2 and Hugo 2 this whole situation is getting to be very off putting

Jun 27, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #4,902 of 22,475
For audionick: i sincerely apologise i did not understand the context in which this was intended. i am very happy a readable version of the manual is now all sorted out UELong. thanks MK.

Jun 27, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #4,903 of 22,475
Hey there,

The manual is rather an illustrated spreadsheet with the text bits sprinkled in and is indeed out of order.
Anyway would it help if I copied the text bits in order and send it to you?

Cheers

A big shout-out to audi0nick128! Your layout of the manual was perfect for me. It's well layed out, now. Thanks for taking the time. Good guys here on Head-Fi.

This was awesome!

Jun 27, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #4,904 of 22,475
Like I said, glad I could help.
Took me three songs... and I was listening Punk :beyersmile:

@musickid : no need to apologize :wink:

Cheers

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #4,905 of 22,475
I had an email on the 13th, stating that the dealer expected to have my Hugo 2 on the 30th.
On their product webpage, the message 'delay 3 to 5 days' is displayed, and i expect it to change to 'delay 1 to 3 days' tomorrow. Based on my experience from the previous 3 expected shipping dates, the webpage message will change to 'delay - contact us' on the 30th, signifying that the Hugo 2 did not arrive, and they have no idea when it will.

So the best case result is that I receive my Hugo 2 next week, but I am not letting my hopes rise too far, and i will only believe the shipping date, when I finally have the Hugo 2 in my hands.
Sorry if this sounds negative, but there have been too many false dawns.

Been told Chord fulfilling orders by date received and next week UK be settling March orders. Unfortunately mine was apparently in April :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back