Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 23, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #3,602 of 22,511
Delivery scheduled for early June, possibility of pre-order.
More info Free

no solid info here unfortunately. nice to hear from you Mike. hope you're enjoying the unseasonal hot weather on the other side of the channel. i continue to suffer with my cheap iem's straight out of my imac till hugo 2 arrives and my beloved beyers will reenter the playing field. :sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face:

May 23, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #3,603 of 22,511
Agreed: an estimated date, please?

For those who already sold their prior Chord dac, you might have saved yourself some money as when/if rave reviews for Hugo2 pour in, the price of Hugo 1 may drop precipitously.

Thanks, that is excellent news. I might pick one up, once the dust has settled.

Well done, those who have already sold their Hugo 1 for a high price. :)

May 23, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #3,604 of 22,511
Delivery scheduled for early June, possibility of pre-order.
More info Free

no solid info here unfortunately. nice to hear from you Mike. hope you're enjoying the unseasonal hot weather on the other side of the channel. i continue to suffer with my cheap iem's straight out of my imac till hugo 2 arrives and my beloved beyers will reenter the playing field. :sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face:
I don't know about unseasonal hot weather? The last two weeks have contained a lot of cold windy days, plus a few British barbecue evenings like last night - ie it hammered down with rain.
Never mind, it will soon be June, and then the Fete de la Musique will mean live music events across most of France. :guitar::musical_keyboard::musical_score::trumpet::violin:

May 23, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #3,606 of 22,511
i understand the crystal oscillator for the master clock is essential in the 'dac' makeup. what kind of crystal oscillator does hugo 2 contain or its type?? also how does the digital phase locked loop relate to this? i have never heard of any reference to the hugo 2's crystal oscillator. although i have no background in electronics or engineering during my wait for hugo 2 i've found the technology here very interesting. hence this randomn post. thanks to all. crystal oscillators bring about visions of nano scale worlds of rotating atomic size structures fully developed in every way with an ecosphere of their very own.:stopwatch::gear::watch::satellite: or maybe hugo 2 does not contain a crystal oscillator i know not????

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #3,607 of 22,511
i understand the crystal oscillator for the master clock is essential in the 'dac' makeup. what kind of crystal oscillator does hugo 2 contain or its type?? also how does the digital phase locked loop relate to this? i have never heard of any reference to the hugo 2's crystal oscillator. although i have no background in electronics or engineering during my wait for hugo 2 i've found the technology here very interesting. hence this randomn post. thanks to all. crystal oscillators bring about visions of nano scale worlds of rotating atomic size structures fully developed in every way with an ecosphere of their very own.:stopwatch::gear::watch::satellite: or maybe hugo 2 does not contain a crystal oscillator i know not????
I think that Rob has described the clock in some of his posts, but tracking them down could require some patience.

May 23, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #3,608 of 22,511

*The Hugo2 (and all Chord DACs) don't use a crystal oscillator clock,* but a DPLL (Digital Phase Lock Loop - as opposed to a Phase Lock Loop) and it works with the discrete Pulse Array DAC from my understanding. Rob finds that crystal oscillator clocks are inferior to his DPLL. Rob has repeatedly said do no worry about jitter at all with his DACs on all inputs (unless you are using the equivalent of a wet string as a source). Perhaps @Rob Watts can clarify the jitter implementation as I'm just going from memory of what he's posted.

Here is his post again about the performance of the Hugo2 and the jitter measurements are near the bottom.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...official-thread.831345/page-112#post-13342285

*Edit: Rob clarifies the oscillator clock question here:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...official-thread.831345/page-243#post-13509387

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #3,609 of 22,511
I just received a call from the dealer/distributor (Switzerland). They informed me that a first batch of Hugo2 will arrive within 10 days from now at their site so that I could expect mine shortly after.
That's good news. Hope the stocks are soon cascaded to the rest of the world.

At MUNICH's show we listened to the HUGO 2, paired with a AK380 & Shure KSE1500, and... we are not sure that AK380+HUGO2 is better than the new A&K Ultima SP1000 SS alone that we also listened few minutes before with the KSE1500, using the same tracks.
I've yet to hear the SP1000, although that's something high on my agenda of to-try items, but I'm wary of its ability to match the Hugo 2 in sheer technical prowess. Still, as you've already heard both, I'll defer to your judgement for now. Can't wait to try them, though!

May 24, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #3,614 of 22,511
Good to hear there appears to be some movement. Keep us posted.

I find it strange that chord would ship to other European sellers first, yet the ones in uk have no news when it comes to stock.

Considering it's a British company based in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back