Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 24, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #3,631 of 22,535
I preordered mine back in January, so I am hopeful that I will be part of the first batch.
My wife's set for Poly, and John just posted on the Poly thread that Poly is, indeed, upgradable online.

It will be marvelous having Hugo 2 as well as the portable Poly for off line content. My wife travels for work and the iPhone's limitation frustrates her. Using the SD card with Poly is fantastic. Perhaps if she keeps enjoying Poly, she won't notice my Hugo2. :ksc75smile:

May 24, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #3,632 of 22,535
Thanks Relic that makes perfect sense now as to the lack of any mention of crystal oscillators.:stopwatch:

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #3,633 of 22,535
Thanks Relic that makes perfect sense now as to the lack of any mention of crystal oscillators.:stopwatch:

The situation is more complex than it has a DPLL (digital phase lock loop) as all of my DAC's do indeed have a crystal oscillator at 104.25 MHz. I don't bang on about fS clocks and ultra low jitter for a number of reasons:
1. Its a very complex subject.
2. Pulse array DAC's are inherently jitter immune.
3. Use of fempto clocks would degrade sound quality as they employ PLL which although improve cycle to cycle jitter have poor low frequency performance and create low frequency skirts which are audible.
4. Source jitter is eliminated by the use of my DPLL - and we can see that on my plots of jitter showing zero jitter errors.

So what is so special about Pulse Array DAC's and jitter immunity? Well, conventional DAC's have a switching activity that is signal dependent - by that I mean it switches at a different frequency for different input data (DSD or delta-sigma), or it physically uses different switches for different data. This means that switching activity errors are signal dependent, and create signal correlated errors (distortion). The beauty of Pulse Array is that it always switches at exactly the same rate irrespective of input data; so this means the switching errors are constant, and become a DC error.

So what does jitter from the 104.25 MHz clock actually do? Well, I can see what it does by creating a simulation and adding random jitter - and when I do this with Pulse Array I get a fixed noise error. That is, random jitter creates a fixed noise completely independent of the data, so no distortion at all. Indeed, Pulse Array itself only creates a fixed noise error - no distortion - when one changes the tolerance of the Pulse Array elements (the resistor value). Actually, clock jitter and element mis-match is an identical error - you can't distinguish between element mis-match and clock jitter.

Now I now that the clock jitter for certain is insignificant because at the prototype stage I test for jitter and element mismatch error. And I do this by turning off the Pulse Array, so half the elements are permanently high, and half are forced low, so there is zero switching activity at all - in essence the DAC is off. And I know what the noise should be, as this is just from the analogue electronics and is mostly simply thermal resistor noise. Now I did this test at the prototype stage of Hugo 2, and found that one channel was perfect - the degradation was less than 0.5 dB when Pulse Array was on, but the other channel was degrading by 1 dB, which was unacceptable. It turned out to be a very subtle layout difference on one of the elements, and now this has been fixed in a later prototype and I get the usual less than 0.5 dB degradation when the DAC is turned on.

Now this 0.5 dB noise increase is insignificant, and it proves that the combination of master clock jitter and element mis-match problems has been solved; a better clock would have no bearing on performance at all, as this error is a fixed noise. Having said all this, one aspect that is very important is correlated jitter. So far I have been talking about random jitter, but as soon as we get jitter that is correlated, or signal dependent, then we are in massive trouble. Another benefit that Pulse Array has got is that the output flip-flops are only one buffer away from the crystal oscillator. And all of the components are discrete, with their own power; this means I can eliminate correlated jitter too. With chip based DAC's this is impossible to do, as internal noise will create correlated jitter inside the device as the clock is fed through the clock tree to the active elements. And I don't need to add, that a fempto clock with a PLL would have much bigger levels of correlated jitter.

I said at the beginning this was a complex subject...

Rob

May 25, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #3,634 of 22,535
Thanks for the information Rob!

May 25, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #3,636 of 22,535
Now that is really strange. Either is my dealer pulling my leg (or is not correctly informed- bummer in both cases) or Chord has very interesting supply preferences (in which case I wouldn't be the one complaining).
Either way I will keep you informed, and should I get lucky, I will post a quick impression and a picture or three. I should get an info tomorrow, whether they got the goods.
Hi any update?

May 25, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #3,637 of 22,535
I have spoken to a few uk dealers. All said they were told to expect stock this week but none received any as of yet. Hopefully they do get stock over the next 2 days and orders will begin to roll out from next week.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #3,638 of 22,535
I've lurked here a few times while checking the dealer's site as well Chord Electronics' Facebook page during a rather busy but profitable time in life, and am highly anticipatory as everyone else seems to be.

Like others, I have abided my time learning about Hugo 2 from Rob (including having to look up terms) as well as thinking of what to listen for under Hugo 2.
My brain has adjusted so much so to Mojo that without it the music is dull, lifeless and without definition.

I am excited to test Hugo 2 with Royal Philharmonic's "Swan Lake" on TIDAL.

I intend to go from there to voice, and acoustic music. When HD Tracks ran a sale, I got "Blood on the Tracks" which should be interesting. With my early order, I am hoping I am recipient of the first batch. I believe from conversations with dealer (whom I have come to respect for his knowledge) that if his shop gets some of the first, mine will ship too.

Update from Czech?

May 25, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #3,643 of 22,535
I will be interested in HUGO2 only when I will have confirmation of a dedicated Poly for HUGO2 will be done and... when it will be available. In the mean time I will stick to my HUGO1 & MOJO.

May 25, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #3,644 of 22,535
Yes. Delivery date was "updated" to next Wednesday. I should have known it sounded too good to be true... :frowning2:

Sorry everyone for false alarm, I have some more time to enjoy our Mojos. In my case, currently with HEKs and Bruce Dickinson's Chemical Wedding.

No apology necessary. Thank you for updating us. Others seem "mid June."

Hopefully, we will hear an announcement.

Also, Congratulations to Chord Electronics on their award for Hugo 2 and Mojo.

http://vgp.phileweb.com/vgp2017/

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #3,645 of 22,535
Yes. Delivery date was "updated" to next Wednesday. I should have known it sounded too good to be true... :frowning2:

Sorry everyone for false alarm, I have some more time to enjoy our Mojos. In my case, currently with HEKs and Bruce Dickinson's Chemical Wedding.
It did sound a few days too early, and too good to be true. Even so i would have been delighted if you had received good news, because it would have been evidence that the H2 had started shipping. :disappointed:
Never mind, all the evidence seems to point to next week being the start of shipping. Everyone should bear in mind that next weekend will be the Whitsun/May bank holiday in the UK and europe, so factor in a potential couple of days delay during the shipping/courier stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back