Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 20, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #1,966 of 22,475
Hi, Rob is the expert so I look forward to his reply but in my learnings on the Computer Audiophile forum (from John Swenson - designer of the Uptone Regen, microRendu etc) running your laptop off battery will help but your USB audio source will still be a noisy PC going direct to a Dac.

Rob includes galvanic isolation on his non-portable Dac's USB input, to isolate from the computer's noisy USB output.

Lot's of guys in this thread have an Intona (or similar) between their Dac and Computer. I've recently tried a PS Audio LANRover and it really does take the already great performance up another level. I've had to return that one this week unfortunately because it didn't play nicely over my network. But when directly connected to the PC it was incredible.

Another gentleman (or two) here has a microRendu with Uptone LPS-1. Here the USB audio source isn't the noisy PC but a specially designed little computer (the size of a cigarette packet) designed with components selected for audio playback only. There's another similar device, the SoTM SMS-200, which has amazing reviews.

Having said all that, Rob's mentioned the difference between the Hugo 2's Toslink and USB input performance (in terms of noise effects) is almost non existent, compared with Mojo and Hugo 1. So it's possible adding USB galvanic isolation before the Dac's input may or may not improve things. Which is amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I've made a really bad assumption in assuming you have a noisy PC. You can get really high end USB cards for PC's now that feature similar custom designs, designed and built specifically for audio. SoTM and JPlay have been making these for a while. They are pricey though.

The most cost effective solution (which isn't cheap) if you really want an effective USB solution is a USB isolatng device like the Intona. If you don't have any 24/96 or higher music, then the Olimex USB Isolator is extremely cost effective and even recommended by Rob in an old thread. Otherwise you need a high speed isolating device like the Intona,

There are 2 new ones coming out that also feature Regen features built in - iFi iGalvanic3.0 and Uptone ISO REGEN. I would wait until the prices and reviews of these have come out, over the next 2-3 months or so. 

Again, I'm nowhere near as qualified as Rob so I'm not answering for him but it's an interesting topic to me.

Cheers !

Perfect, just the info I wanted in one post and not buried under thousands of posts to read - I swear these threads need a cliff notes section of important info contained within (and possible lessons learned) at the beginning. Thanks so much.

I might look into USB filters for the Hugo 2 like those. But if I'm honest that's a stop gap for me in a way. I rather just get the Hugo TT 2 whenever that comes out to simplify things and to get the XLR connections (which I now read don't matter for short runs? I dunno what to believe on XLR).

I'd love a Chord Dave, perhaps in 5 to 10 years time I'd be able to think about it, but $13,300 for one component... it's not even a reality for now. For now, I could buy a Mojo + Poly for my iPhone 7 Plus and super mobile duties, purchase a Hugo 2 for my late 2016 MacBook Pro 15-inch and semi mobile duties, aquire whatever Hugo 2 add on Chord is cooking up, and still afford a Hugo TT 2 for my home stereo, all for less than a single Chord Dave!! I think we need a product between Hugo TT 2 and Dave, something under 8 grand.

What will totally change the game is if there was a dock of sorts for the Hugo 2, like the one I mentioned before, that added all the features I wanted - USB galvanic isolation, XLR line out, a second optical in for a PS4, Poly-like streaming features. Then I could make the Hugo 2 my only DAC for all but the most mobile of needs. Perhaps the dock even has a bolt on poweramp for a smaller PC desktop setting. Then just come out with a Mojo Plus that has the Poly built in. I could live with just those two DAC product systems forever.

Edit - How does MQA fit into Chord products? Are we all just skipping that?

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #1,967 of 22,475

The simple answer to that is - a very long time. Hugo 2 will actually work with the battery disconnected. Also I have put in a desktop mode (charger connected for > 24 hours), so the battery voltage is reduced to 8.0 to 8.2 V for longest possible battery life. And in this mode, the battery is not using up the charge/discharge cycles - so it should last practically indefinitely. 

Rob

I'm guessing you mean to 8.0V from 8.2V. This is a very welcome change, thanks Rob.

Actually full charge is at the rated 8.4 V for this battery, so it gets dropped to 8.2 down to 8.0, mostly at 8.1 V. At 8.2 or below, life is not affected by applied voltage. I ran Mojo at 8.2 so that very long life was assured - at a cost of a smaller discharge time. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #1,968 of 22,475
Perfect, just the info I wanted in one post and not buried under thousands of posts to read - I swear these threads need a cliff notes section of important info contained within (and possible lessons learned) at the beginning. Thanks so much.

I might look into USB filters for the Hugo 2 like those. But if I'm honest that's a stop gap for me in a way. I rather just get the Hugo TT 2 whenever that comes out to simplify things and to get the XLR connections (which I now read don't matter for short runs? I dunno what to believe on XLR).

I'd love a Chord Dave, perhaps in 5 to 10 years time I'd be able to think about it, but $13,300 for one component... it's not even a reality for now. For now, I could buy a Mojo + Poly for my iPhone 7 Plus and super mobile duties, purchase a Hugo 2 for my late 2016 MacBook Pro 15-inch and semi mobile duties, aquire whatever Hugo 2 add on Chord is cooking up, and still afford a Hugo TT 2 for my home stereo, all for less than a single Chord Dave!! I think we need a product between Hugo TT 2 and Dave, something under 8 grand.

What will totally change the game is if there was a dock of sorts for the Hugo 2, like the one I mentioned before, that added all the features I wanted - USB galvanic isolation, XLR line out, a second optical in for a PS4, Poly-like streaming features. Then I could make the Hugo 2 my only DAC for all but the most mobile of needs. Perhaps the dock even has a bolt on poweramp for a smaller PC desktop setting. Then just come out with a Mojo Plus that has the Poly built in. I could live with just those two DAC product systems forever.

Edit - How does MQA fit into Chord products? Are we all just skipping that?

No worries. Happy you found it useful ! Be careful with all the USB conditioning and filtering devices out there. There are so many and while they do improve things, you really want an Intona type device or the upcoming iFi iGavlanic3.0 or Uptone ISO REGEN, which all feature galvanic isolation. The USB conditioning devices are noise reducing devices but the galvanic isolation devices are noise isolating devices, which is what you really want and why Rob includes galvanic isolation on the USB input of his non-portable Dacs.

The advantage of the new upcoming iFi and Uptone products is they also combine another feature, USB signal regeneration built in. So you won't have to buy an Uptone Regen or Jitterbug and all those types of great add ons (which do work) but it will be all built into one metal box.

So my advice to everyone interested is to actually not spend a dollar ! I'm sure that's welcome advice right? lol wait 2-3 months for these 2 devices to come out (pricing and reviews).

No need for anyone to wait on pre-ordering the Hugo 2 though ! I did ! :)

And yes I feel your pain about wanting one device that does everything while being portable. The Hugo 2 moves us closer ! :) I know the Hugo 1 had RCA connectors but moving from a Mojo to Hugo 2, I can't wait to use my proper RCA cables with my power amp !

I read Rob mentioned there's more space for the the RCA connectors with the Hugo 2? That can only be a good thing !

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #1,969 of 22,475
  Actually full charge is at the rated 8.4 V for this battery, so it gets dropped to 8.2 down to 8.0, mostly at 8.1 V. At 8.2 or below, life is not affected by applied voltage. I ran Mojo at 8.2 so that very long life was assured - at a cost of a smaller discharge time. 

Yes, that's what I thought you meant. Remaining above 8.2V (4.10x2) Lithium batteries are stressed so it's great news that you have implemented the charging this way. Thanks again.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #1,972 of 22,475
In light of the scores of recent posts in this thread about using the Hugo 2 as a desktop device and concerns about batteries I hope Chord releases an affordable "Davette." And it seems that an affordable desktop DAC should have been prioritized over the Hugo 2 given how many posts there were about a "Mojo TT" over the past year. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #1,974 of 22,475
  In light of the scores of recent posts in this thread about using the Hugo 2 as a desktop device and concerns about batteries I hope Chord releases an affordable "Davette." And it seems that an affordable desktop DAC should have been prioritized over the Hugo 2 given how many posts there were about a "Mojo TT" over the past year. 

I would have loved a Mojo TT! I would have gotten that instead of the Mojo that I bought. But I have a feeling that the Mojo's sales dwarfed the number of Mojo TT posts...

It's kind of like, why don't Apple Music offer CD quality streaming, considering how many people on audiophile forums really want more lossless streaming options. But their subscriptions continue to rise without lossless streaming, so there's no real rush. Is that a bad example? lol

I'm with you though, more affordable desktop options would be nice !

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #1,975 of 22,475
In light of this huge revelation by Rob Watts about the Hugo 2 being able to operate with batteries disconnected, we desperately need further confirmation and clarification on what those parameters are and if so?
First, I would like to congratulate you on this, what is sounding to be, great break thru.  To be able to pick ones power supply is brilliant and offers the audiophile options in bringing optimum sound quality with the Hugo 2 in relation to ones system synergy, especially for desktop use.
I hope we can receive more details about this feature.
1.  What are the power protection feature parameters in the Hugo 2?
2.  If the batteries are disconnected, can the Hugo 2 be powered at 8.1V directly thru the micro charger usb connector, if not, what are the parameters to maintain power without batteries?
3.  What are the minimum amps needed at 8.1V to operate the Hugo 2?

Purchasing decisions lay in wait upon these answers.  Thank You.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #1,976 of 22,475
Mar 21, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #1,977 of 22,475

I can't really agree with you more. I would suggest an amp that has the balls on the front, inputs on the left, electricity coming in at the rear and signal coming out on the right, (seen looking towards the front). I find the the Hugo2 design a bit annoying when it comes to desktop use. Having cables come in at the front, (if you call the front the side where the balls are) is a bit of a kludge. It would have been nice if that side could have been kept free of connections.

I would love a Mojo TT. I have no interest in portability. The TT is far too expensive and the 2Qute lacks functionality (I believe it has no volume control). One of the biggest plusses of most of these Chord dacs is that no preamplifier is needed. A Mojo that has been upgraded and optimized for desktop use, and use as a central component in a home hi fi system would be a killer product. Not taking anything away from the current Mojo as it is, it is fantastic.

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #1,978 of 22,475
  In light of this huge revelation by Rob Watts about the Hugo 2 being able to operate with batteries disconnected, we desperately need further confirmation and clarification on what those parameters are and if so?
First, I would like to congratulate you on this, what is sounding to be, great break thru.  To be able to pick ones power supply is brilliant and offers the audiophile options in bringing optimum sound quality with the Hugo 2 in relation to ones system synergy, especially for desktop use.
I hope we can receive more details about this feature.
1.  What are the power protection feature parameters in the Hugo 2?
2.  If the batteries are disconnected, can the Hugo 2 be powered at 8.1V directly thru the micro charger usb connector?
3.  What are the minimum amps needed at 8.1V to operate the Hugo 2?

Purchasing decisions lay in wait upon these answers.  Thank You.

Absolutely not. Don't break something that ain't faulty - the power supply system is very complex, and by adding external PSU's you categorically will make it sound worse or it will have no difference in sound quality whatsoever.

The reason I published the stereo separation figures is to prove - incontrovertibly - that Hugo 2 functions with complete isolation from the power supply. and the reason I mentioned that it happens to work with the batteries disconnected (via the charger PSU) was just to provide reassurance about battery ageing effects.

So don't entertain fantasies that a massive PSU will make Hugo 2 sound better - it won't and will almost certainly make it sound worse thru poorer RF noise problems. Power supply and amplifier interaction is highly complex and it is not about crude power reserves.

Apologies at my tone, but imagine if you posted on a Ferrari or Mercedes thread that you can improve their F1 cars...

Rob 

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #1,979 of 22,475
Good luck on the rollout!

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #1,980 of 22,475
Yes it will function without the batteries and just a 2A USB charger connected. It's not something I have listened to as it is not a mode anybody should ever experience, nor is it recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back