Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Jul 26, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #496 of 1,746
Unlike the original Qute, 2 Qute does not benefit sonically from having a different power supply. I compared the supplied PSU with a 12v 300A car battery and could hear no difference in SQ.

Some power supplies have damaged Qute as they do not output 12v but greater voltages - this will damage the protection circuitry.

Use of a different power supply will void Chord's warranty.

Rob 

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #497 of 1,746
Wow, now that Chord has seemingly changed their policies on external power supplies (Chord was very aware of my use of different supplies on the Qute series and even published my reviews, without a word) I am less excited about my review summary for the 2Qute.  Many here, including me, have found improvement with a better 12V (of course don't use anything but a 12V).  Argh!

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #498 of 1,746
  Wow, now that Chord has seemingly changed their policies on external power supplies (Chord was very aware of my use of different supplies on the Qute series and even published my reviews, without a word) I am less excited about my review summary for the 2Qute.  Many here, including me, have found improvement with a better 12V (of course don't use anything but a 12V).  Argh!

I found the bass to be kinda fat and bloated with the walwart, the addition of my diy Sig11 LPS gives me what I consider world class bass. :)

I guess consider me to be banished but happy! A lot of guys are using the MCRU, I thought it was Chord approved. ??

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #499 of 1,746
  Unlike the original Qute, 2 Qute does not benefit sonically from having a different power supply. I compared the supplied PSU with a 12v 300A car battery and could hear no difference in SQ.

Some power supplies have damaged Qute as they do not output 12v but greater voltages - this will damage the protection circuitry.

Use of a different power supply will void Chord's warranty.

Rob 

Thank you for replying, and I appreciate the insight.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #500 of 1,746
Question for Rob et al:

The issue has been raised in previous posts that the 3V output of the 2qute
can be problematical for some preamps.  Would preamp volume control
that is ahead of the line section negate any possible problems caused
by a high dac output?

thanks,

gad1

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #501 of 1,746
  Question for Rob et al:

The issue has been raised in previous posts that the 3V output of the 2qute
can be problematical for some preamps.  Would preamp volume control
that is ahead of the line section negate any possible problems caused
by a high dac output?

thanks,

gad1

Absolutely, Rob

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #502 of 1,746
I just got the 2qute and tried it with my android (Samsung Note 4) and it plays music, but has noise and dropouts every few seconds. Any advice? Perhaps it is not compatible?  I’m not doing anything out of the ordinary – just a USB cable to the 2Qute and the files our WAV, CD quality and they play on other devices OK (e.g. Sony Hap and even thru my car USB input). 

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #503 of 1,746
In my case the 2Qute is connected to the USB output of my Windows laptop and I hear periodically little clicks.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #504 of 1,746
Hello,I know I'm new to this thread but I've just acquired a 2qute,it replaces a rega dac,I feed it with j river 20 wav files via an ifi usb and 2 gemini cables,after the 2qute it goes through an ifi itube (I love the harmonics) to a graham slee solo ultra linear diamond edition via graham slee cusat 50 I/c's to lcd 2's,I loved the sq with the rega dac,this 2qute has only 4 hours on it,now I'm not good with the cliches like "soundstage width and depth and timbre and prat" and all the rest but whilst listening to my go to albums that I know very well this dac has given me f#%king goose bumps for the first time and then again and again,I had no idea that music could be this moving on a headphone system,please don't get caught up with over complicating things with Lps and burn in times,just buy this thing,plug it in and enjoy the music because surely that was the reason we got into this hobby in the first place

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #505 of 1,746
Hello,I know I'm new to this thread but I've just acquired a 2qute,it replaces a rega dac,I feed it with j river 20 wav files via an ifi usb and 2 gemini cables,after the 2qute it goes through an ifi itube (I love the harmonics) to a graham slee solo ultra linear diamond edition via graham slee cusat 50 I/c's to lcd 2's,I loved the sq with the rega dac,this 2qute has only 4 hours on it,now I'm not good with the cliches like "soundstage width and depth and timbre and prat" and all the rest but whilst listening to my go to albums that I know very well this dac has given me f#%king goose bumps for the first time and then again and again,I had no idea that music could be this moving on a headphone system,please don't get caught up with over complicating things with Lps and burn in times,just buy this thing,plug it in and enjoy the music because surely that was the reason we got into this hobby in the first place

Forgive me for not being familiar with your equipment. What kind of headphone amp are you using and what is it's power output? I'm curious if the 2Qute likes a bit of power to pull out it's best in all genre's?

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #506 of 1,746

Bravo!! How refreshing to read and hear a totally uncomplicated  and heartfelt appraisal of a product on Head-fi.Enjoy,and I have absolutely no doubt you've made an extremely wise purchase.All the best-C..

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #507 of 1,746
It's a very smooth sounding solid state amp,I'm not sure about the figures regarding power output but with my lcd 2's I don't need to turn the volume past 12 o'clock to reach a very loud level,it drives the lcd's with ease

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #508 of 1,746
Hi Rob,

I have just a Moon Mind 180 streamer connected via Coax to the 2Qute. Problem is I get bad hum through the speakers from this connection. Switching to toslink eliminates the hum.
Should I stick with toslink? Is this a preferred connection over Coax as I read toslink introduce more jitter compared to coax?
If I go with Coax, how can I eliminate the hum?
Thanks!

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #509 of 1,746
Okay, I found this clear explanation from Rob that toslink is prefereable to coax on the hugo. I will think 2qute the order will be the following usb->toslink->coax.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/5325#post_10653659

Users who are viewing this thread

Back