Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Aug 28, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #1,471 of 1,977
Ηaving purchased sony ZX2 yesterday i can say that N6 is in no way the inferior sounding device with the ie800.The Zx2 definitely needs a lot of burn in and i can say that it is  a warmer sounding dap with punch,tight bass,musical tone vs the analytical N6 and very 3dimensional soundstage,it beats the N6 in depth which in comparison sounds more stretched out in width making it (relatively) flat.The N6 is the more transparent and energetic dap with better bass texture and treble detail and for the time being instrument separation,the ZX2 feels muddy for the price point but these are initial impressions.The ZX2 needs 250h burn in with varying degrees of sound change in the meantime as observed in the ZX2 thread,the capacitors of ZX2 are too shy,they need to go on stage a lot of times to perform their best i guess 
smile.gif

Someone with the ie800 will be more impressed with N6 than ZX2 and have a wow moment with latest fw at least initially.The se846 will have a better synergy with ZX2.As for ui,user experience,battery yeah it's no contest,sorry Cayin,Sony wins this fight and it's not close.For the money though and with the right iem the N6 is one of the best propositions and is definitely a high end dap in sound not mid range like dx90,X5.

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #1,474 of 1,977
Sorry for take a break from this thread in past two weeks, have been tied up with preparing the N5 launch and and tour arrangement.

There are several issues related to power reset and /or shut down reported recently, there are some “general” information that I want to share with you before I check out the detail of individual cases.

1. Reset when plug in/out headpone

The headphone output of N6 will detect whether you have inserted a headphone into the player. If you unplug your headphone during playback, the player will pause immediately. In case you have enabled “Idle Shutdown”, N6 will turn off itself at the end of predefined idle time out period, this is a very handy power saving feature and the headphone detection function played an important part.

On the other hand, if you has enabled “breakpoint resume”, when you turn on the player without plug in your headphone, the player will boot up as normal, but as soon as you plug in your headphone, N6 will resume playback at where you left previously. I find this very handy as well, and almost cannot turn back to DAP without headphone detection.

Unfortunately, headphone detection does come with a small prize. The way to detect whether a headphone is inserted is by applying a small current to one of the pin at the headphone, so when you unplug the headphone, the current will break off, and when you plug in, the current will resumed. The problem is, if the headphone connector is not too tight and shake slightly after plugged in, or if you plug and unplug your headphone quickly (or the other way round), the action will cause a current shock at the headphone detection system, and this will trigger the N6 to go into protection mode. The common consequence will be auto shut down, and occasion the player will freezed at the protection mode and cannot shut down itself, this is in fact a software glitch and you can get out of the problem by a hard reset.

(2) Reset option

There are two different ways to reset the N6. Insert a pointed object into the reset hole next to the USB charging connector will reset the SoC (System on Chip), this is sufficient in most situation. If the problem remain un-rectified after a SoC reset, clicking the reset button repeatedly doesn’t solve the problem, you need a compare system reset. Remove all the TF card and output connections, press the power key continuously for 10 seconds (or 12 seconds, I don’t remember the exact figure), and the player will hard reset, and you can insert TF card and connect to headphone again to check if everything is alright after the reset.

(3) Batter Capacity Detection

The N6 firmware has displayed the batter capacity in a percentage reading, this is a linear representation of the battery capacity. However in real life, battery capacity is NOT a linear function against common measurable such as current or impedance. The current capacity will drain at a non-linear rate and N6 simply “predict” the current capacity base on a number of historical and system internal measurement, it is a lot more complicated that checking a parameter and lookup a % value from a reference table etc.

As of today, the batter capacity deduction feature is still far from perfect. Once the battery capacity reading drop below 20%, the deducted value will become not-so-accurate and we suggest you arrange a charge up ASAP, because of long-term (lithium) battery health and the potential inaccuracy of the deducted battery capacity problems. Occasionally, the battery calculation function will run into an error which will lead to a randomised freeze up of the feature, the battery will continue to drain but the batter reading will not updated as it should be. In other words, users were misled by the reading and assume the there are still lots of battery power in the player, and then the player shut down suddenly because battery has run out already. When you run into this situation, the player will resume after you charge up the battery. Cayin will look into this problem and try to rectify in subsequent firmware, but right now the problem seems to be fairly randomised, so finding a cure will take more time than we can anticipated.

We are not saying all the auto-power-down or reset issues are because of these three problems, We shall look into individual cases later on and find out what exactly are causing problem to our users and try to improve our N6 to a more stable and efficient stage. For the meanwhile, if you run into any of the three problem listed above, please take associated procedure as advice without confusing as some major/critical hardware problem in your player. Feel free to contact me if you run into such situation which you believed is different from the three problems listed above, will keep trace of them and channel to Engineering team ASAP.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 31, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,477 of 1,977
@Andykong Just a quick question: when my N6 reaches the end of the last track in a folder there is a slight pop as it 'closes', the same just before the player reads the first track of a new folder. Is this normal? I had thought FW releases might fix it, but I'm using 3.1 and no change. It's not loud enough to be a nuisance but never heard it before on others players I've had (but then again none of them sounded as good as the N6). Thanks for any advice.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #1,478 of 1,977
On my tour N6, once I plugged the headphone jack in, I left it in.  It wasn't a matter of plugging/unplugging/replugging causing the resets.  Sounds like the headphone jack was the culprit, from what I read in your third paragraph of Reset When Plug In/Out Headphone.  

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,479 of 1,977
On my tour N6, once I plugged the headphone jack in, I left it in.  It wasn't a matter of plugging/unplugging/replugging causing the resets.  Sounds like the headphone jack was the culprit, from what I read in your third paragraph of Reset When Plug In/Out Headphone.  

I agree. Sounds like Cayin's on the job trying to fix it, though.

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #1,480 of 1,977
Yup, also on my tour unit, happened without plugging/unplugging headphones. The resets actually happened only when selecting play on a track. Navigating the the settings menus and track lists through categories and folders was not a problem, until I selected a song to play, then it automatically reset with a 'POP'. Without headphones plugged in it could select and play a track just fine.

This doesn't seem to be a wide spread issue but providing the information I hope Cayin can track down the issue.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #1,481 of 1,977
Thanks for keep improving and monitoring N6.I have also encountered the incorrect reading when below 20% battery.It would go from 20% to 4-5% in a couple of minutes.

Yes, I have had this situation as well, put down my N6 for a phone call, around 2x% battery, when I come back after half an hour, the DAP is dead, battery drained, I couldn't believe the battery all gone within such a short time, so I report to Cayin about hardware failure (obviously I was still a consumer at that time), they explained the situation to me and I start to observe the problem, have to take their word for that.

Last but not least, you should avoid completely discharging a Lithium battery. Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are not required. In fact, it's better for the battery to use partial-discharge cycles and avoid over-charge. I'll avoid the use the N6 beyond the last 20%, and will stop the charging at around 90%, and after something like 10 charging cycle, I'll do a deep drain to the last 2% or even till the N6 die off, and then charge it up to 99% again. I was told this will extend the lifetime of the Lithium battery significantly, fortunately my N6 battery still offer 6-7 hours of continuous play after 8 months of heavy duty usage, maybe this method is really working well.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #1,482 of 1,977
The above is very good advice for maximum battery life. However, the deep discharge periodically is really only to calibrate the battery charge level indicator.

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #1,483 of 1,977
@Andykong
Just a quick question: when my N6 reaches the end of the last track in a folder there is a slight pop as it 'closes', the same just before the player reads the first track of a new folder. Is this normal? I had thought FW releases might fix it, but I'm using 3.1 and no change. It's not loud enough to be a nuisance but never heard it before on others players I've had (but then again none of them sounded as good as the N6). Thanks for any advice.

This is new to me, I'll report this to Engineers, and try to replicate the case, will PM you for more detail if we can't replicate the problem, once we can replicated with our own machine, we are confident to solve it ASAP.

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #1,484 of 1,977

As I said previously, the three issues I raised is not an exhaustive listing of all problem, there might exist other problems that lead to unanticipated power down or reset, In your case, if the reset happens more regularly on a particular IEM (a particular headphone jack) but not so with other IEMs, then we can safely say the headphone jack is a highly possible cause of the problem. However it this problem occurs with several IEMs, then we probably need to take check out if the connection inside the N6 headphone socket are in good order.

Just try to be logical in diagnosing the problem, hope this help.:D

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,485 of 1,977
Yup, also on my tour unit, happened without plugging/unplugging headphones. The resets actually happened only when selecting play on a track. Navigating the the settings menus and track lists through categories and folders was not a problem, until I selected a song to play, then it automatically reset with a 'POP'. Without headphones plugged in it could select and play a track just fine.

This doesn't seem to be a wide spread issue but providing the information I hope Cayin can track down the issue.

This is new to me, and is contrast to my own experience, so this is possible that an one-off situation.

Please try to copy the songs to the Internal Memory and repeat the process, if the problem disappear, that this is likely a TF card related or compatibility problem. If the problem remain unchanged, then we'll need to check with the person before and after you in the tour, if problem is consistent, then we probably need to recall the tour unit for a close examination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back