Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 28, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #3,226 of 6,262
Will there be any permanent and irreversible process if I use the custom firmware? I saw the pictures and I am quite liking it.
I know I can just use cayin's firmware whenever I want, but will using a custom firmware flash any internal software to the point of beyond any return?

Thanks

What about my question of the USB C cable?

USB-C goes either way.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #3,227 of 6,262
Will there be any permanent and irreversible process if I use the custom firmware? I saw the pictures and I am quite liking it.
I know I can just use cayin's firmware whenever I want, but will using a custom firmware flash any internal software to the point of beyond any return?

Thanks

What about my question of the USB C cable?

Not irreversible. Actually if you need to send it for service you must flash to a factory version first. Cable, just insert.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #3,228 of 6,262
Well. As my week with the N3 tour unit is approaching it's end on Sunday, I have decided I really need more time. So I just bought a red one from Amazon/MusicTeck. I will go into more details with a formal review, but this is what has helped me pull the trigger on my own player...

The usb out from the N3 is able to directly connect to my Ray Samuels Audio Intruder and Predator amps. Up to this point, I have only been using the RSA amps with line level inputs. The digital signal into the Intruder provides the capability for the intruder to have a wide, and spacious soundstage.

So I will give the N3 two thumbs up as a digital transport. This meets a need that I have and has allowed me to get better sound out of my current equipment. I will provide more info, as I said, in a review. But if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #3,229 of 6,262
Right. So, in my continuing screen protector saga, I finally bit the bullet and removed my original, factory-installed, screen protector. It's been almost four months to the day since I received my N3. The lower left corner had been trying to lift up for the last couple of weeks, but I was hesitant to finally use my second protector. Since these are, apparently, made of unobtanium, you can, perhaps, understand my reluctance. :angry:

Lo and behold, after removing the original screen protector and polishing the display with a micro-fiber cloth in preparation of applying the one, last, final protector...upon close inspection, I find that there is still one on the display! Apparently, two protectors had been applied at the factory, and the top one was diligently protecting the one underneath. JOY! :ksc75smile: LOL.

This still doesn't let Cayin off the hook. These things should be readily available through their distributors, or they should have used a glass display. Period. /rant.

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #3,230 of 6,262
We didn't know it happens arbitrarily from your earlier posts, so we didn't dig deep to explore that.

If we can't repeat the problem, we can't solve the problem, right now we have tested the file deletion function and it works fine. We need more information so that we can establish a repeatable case, any chance the issue is related to certain file type? in the middle of playback? or when the song are still playing (i.e., current song in Playing Now screen)? you playback via playlist or cue file? ...

i just tried deleting a song(Flac 16-44) and it says deletion failed. Many songs don't get deleted and some do. I have the latest firmware, and all the songs were copied to memory card via card reader on laptop. I am curious to know could my N3 be a defective unit, if so then i would contact the seller or is it something else

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #3,231 of 6,262
are there any short usb cables out there for connecting to chord mojo?

Jul 30, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #3,233 of 6,262
are there any short usb cables out there for connecting to chord mojo?
Cayiin has launched a new Type-C to 3.5mm Coaxial Cable, its specially designed for stacking up Cayin's Type-C ready DAP with portable DAC/amp. Please be reminded once again that Cayin has embedded S/PDIF bitstream into the Type-C port so this cable can only be used with our in-house designed Type_C port, it will not "generate" coaxial signal form standard Type-C connectors in other mobile phones or DAP.
  • High performance low loss high bandwidth 75ohmn cable
  • Properly shielded for interference free connection
  • Gold planted 3.5mm TRS connector
  • Can work with DAC with 3.5mm Coaxial input
  • Full length 15cm, flexible cable structure with angled connectors, ideal for portable stacking

http://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=108

Availability from international dealers:
https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/cayin/products/cayin-cs-40tc35-cable
I think you're talking about that one (page 194 of this thread).
Not the easiest thing to buy one...

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #3,234 of 6,262
@CayinSupport I made a post a bit ago about issues with my power button on my N3. At this point it's safe to say that it's a hardware problem and the button is essentially broken. It has been difficult to use since the day I received it and as of now the button doesn't even register a press. Is there any warranty in place that can allow me to send it in for repairs or receive a replacement N3?

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #3,235 of 6,262
@CayinSupport I made a post a bit ago about issues with my power button on my N3. At this point it's safe to say that it's a hardware problem and the button is essentially broken. It has been difficult to use since the day I received it and as of now the button doesn't even register a press. Is there any warranty in place that can allow me to send it in for repairs or receive a replacement N3?
They're going to tell you to contact the seller first for warranty and/or replacement.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #3,237 of 6,262
Do you know if sellers have to return defective units to Cayin for repair? If my battery issue continues I'll have to return mine and I'm wondering whether I'm looking at being without it for 3-4 weeks or more...
I'm not Cayin, but I've been following this thread since it was started and they always say contact the seller first. As long as you bought your N3 from an authorized dealer, then then seller should take care of it. Hopefully @Cayin or @CayinSupport can chime in and confirm this for you guys, but most of the overseas manufacturers operate this way so you can avoid shipping it overseas and waiting forever for repairs or replacement.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #3,238 of 6,262
I'm not Cayin, but I've been following this thread since it was started and they always say contact the seller first. As long as you bought your N3 from an authorized dealer, then then seller should take care of it. Hopefully @Cayin or @CayinSupport can chime in and confirm this for you guys, but most of the overseas manufacturers operate this way so you can avoid shipping it overseas and waiting forever for repairs or replacement.
I've already contacted the seller and they stated that the warranty covered repair rather than replacement (assuming it is repairable I guess) so I'm not sure how they can take care of it without sending it back. You'd think I would know what they were going to do with it having already contacted them but I'm in Thailand and getting a straight answer when things go wrong can be difficult. At first, they claimed that standard procedure was for customers to make a short video (?!) about the problem, for them to review - quite mad in my opinion.

I'm hoping that my problem has already been resolved (having followed the advice given by Cayin) because I can see the return/repair procedure being a complete pain but I have to leave it turned off for another 4-5 days before I'll know for sure.

Thanks for your reply anyway :)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #3,239 of 6,262
I've already contacted the seller and they stated that the warranty covered repair rather than replacement (assuming it is repairable I guess) so I'm not sure how they can take care of it without sending it back. You'd think I would know what they were going to do with it having already contacted them but I'm in Thailand and getting a straight answer when things go wrong can be difficult. At first, they claimed that standard procedure was for customers to make a short video (?!) about the problem, for them to review - quite mad in my opinion.

I'm hoping that my problem has already been resolved (having followed the advice given by Cayin) because I can see the return/repair procedure being a complete pain but I have to leave it turned off for another 4-5 days before I'll know for sure.

Thanks for your reply anyway :)
This is the one area most people overlook when purchasing portable audio. What will you have to do in order to get repair service? It is one of the main reasons I am apprehensive buying Chinese DAP's. Cayin is kind of an unknown entity and I will be waiting to see how N3 buyers experience Cayin repair services. I have had very good experiences with Sony and Fiio regarding product repair/replacement and a total nightmare with Cowon.

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3,240 of 6,262
This is the one area most people overlook when purchasing portable audio. What will you have to do in order to get repair service? It is one of the main reasons I am apprehensive buying Chinese DAP's. Cayin is kind of an unknown entity and I will be waiting to see how N3 buyers experience Cayin repair services. I have had very good experiences with Sony and Fiio regarding product repair/replacement and a total nightmare with Cowon.

Yeah, I've been burned before. A few times on audio products, and other times on other types of Chinese electronics (Mini PCs, tablets, charging cables, li-ion batteries, handheld gaming devices, kids toys, clothing, etc).

It's really a crapshoot. Often the seller offers a partial refund. Other times they expect you to ship it all the way back to China for service or refund (which the shipping costs alone often exceed the original cost of the item). And asking Aliexpress etc to step in and help doesn't always work out in your favor either.

In the cases where I'm looking to lose all of my money, I tend to settle for a partial refund (ie losing some money is better than losing it all). In other cases, I just eat it if it's just a few bucks. Or other times they are willing to reship the item.

If you use sites like Amazon and ebay, you pay more for the items up front, but you have the power of ebay or Amazon behind you. I had some $80 headphones that I got from Amazon recently, and they died after 3 days. I printed the return label right from the Amazon site and shipped them back for a full refund. Took 5 minutes, and was easy as pie. A similar thing happened to some IEMs I got from Aliexpress a few months ago, and I ended up losing all of my money because the seller wouldn't do anything, and Aliexpress basically told me I was SOL when I did a dispute. I spent hours of my time over the course of 2 weeks sending evidence videos, photos, and going back and forth with messages. I was going to them dispute it with my credit card company, but by that point it just wasn't worth my time over some $12 IEMs.

So basically you accept that you'll win some and lose some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back