Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 26, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #3,181 of 6,262
My N3 battery drains completely in about 5 days when its off. Does this mean I have a defective unit? If I am using it, it seems to drain at about the rate I would expect for 10-12 hours usage but then if I turn it off at 80% (for example) and don't use it for a few days, its at 0% when I turn it on again. When I first opened the box it was at 0%, which I thought was a bit odd.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #3,182 of 6,262
My N3 battery drains completely in about 5 days when its off. Does this mean I have a defective unit? If I am using it, it seems to drain at about the rate I would expect for 10-12 hours usage but then if I turn it off at 80% (for example) and don't use it for a few days, its at 0% when I turn it on again. When I first opened the box it was at 0%, which I thought was a bit odd.

Yeah, that doesn't sound quite right to me.

I haven't had my N3 off for that long a time, but it only drops to 99% overnight (if that).

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #3,184 of 6,262
Pity...UI and font could easily be fixed if Cayin opened it up to it's customers, like they did with the N5. Anyway... let us know how it goes, and what you find elsewhere.

Agreed, but I am quite happy with the custom 2.0

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3,185 of 6,262

I haven't had my N3 off for that long a time, but it only drops to 99% overnight (if that).

Sounds like it might be in sleep mode?

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #3,186 of 6,262
Thanks. I guess I have to get in touch with the seller - not quite sure how to make a claim on the warranty.

Yup it has to be done with the seller. Make sure it has unmodded FW before you send it off.

Jul 26, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #3,188 of 6,262
I doubt they will find a distributor that will want the inventory. If one does take it on they will want to stick only to their own territory which will leave some out in the cold.

@docholliday has a good idea alright but who will coordinate?
I have a feeling that we won't get any help from Cayin on finding glass protectors, as they don't even offer their own film protectors for sale. I had spent a bit of time in the past looking around Aliexpress and emailing a few sellers to see if they'd make a custom protector, what the minimum order quantity would be, and costs. I never did get a response from most of the sellers. From the ones that I did, they gave me a ridiculous minimum order (1000-10000 pcs). I think we need to find somebody in mainland to do the communications directly.

Most of the quoted prices were cheap, $1-2 each. I don't need 10 glass protectors, but I'd be willing to drop $10-20 just to get one piece if needed!

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #3,189 of 6,262
I really wish Headfi kept the "search posts in forum" option (nvm thank you velasfloyd)...but anyways:
I recently received a N3 unit but am noticing a certain loud buzz in the left earpiece of my ATH-CKR9LTD (dual dynamic) - the right side has a very minute amount of hiss. The loudness of the buzz is constant (from level 0 to 18+) I've tried rolling back firmwares, messing with the digital EQ filters, channel balance, etc, but to no avail. The left earpiece also distorts much more noticeably at (super) high volumes compared to the right. The earphone itself is fine with iphone4/ATH microphone/yulong D100 output. On the other hand, N3+HE400/VE MONK all sound perfectly fine...

Has anyone had similar experiences/insights?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #3,190 of 6,262
I really wish Headfi kept the "search posts in forum" option...but anyways:
I recently received a N3 unit but am noticing a certain loud buzz in the left earpiece of my ATH-CKR9LTD (dual dynamic) - the right side has a very minute amount of hiss. The loudness of the buzz is constant (from level 0 to 18+) I've tried rolling back firmwares, messing with the digital EQ filters, channel balance, etc, but to no avail. The left earpiece also distorts much more noticeably at (super) high volumes compared to the right. The earphone itself is fine with iphone4/ATH microphone/yulong D100 output. On the other hand, N3+HE400/VE MONK all sound perfectly fine...

Has anyone had similar experiences/insights?

It has still the option to make a search in the thread. just check the box "search this thread only" in the search field.

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #3,191 of 6,262
Been through a weekend of listening with the Cayin N3. And i am very satisfied of this little baby.

Navigating through the menu's needs a little "practice" as the keys are very close to each other.

To the developers @Cayin would it be an idea to map the round button on "what's playing now"?
So even when you were in a settings or folder menu and pushed the display off button.
Push the round button and you will enter the "now playing" screen.
Now it's just an alternative "on" button.

Dont know how other think about it? Looks convenient to me.

Hi, thank you for your kind suggestion.But sorry to tell you that it will have logical conflict for such a design.So we cannot realize it.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 27, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #3,192 of 6,262
Is it/will it be possible to answer calls through the N3 when the Hiby Link is being used to connect the cellphone to the player? That would be a nice feature if you are using a IEM with mic in the N3 and don't want to take the phone out from your pocket to answer it.

I have just tried it and found that we cannot answer calls via N3 when Hibylink is being used to connect the cellphone to the player.Thank you for your kind suggestion. We don't have this plan currently.

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #3,194 of 6,262
Has anyone found a viable screen protector replacement?

I may have to try something like that. Cutting that hole will be a pain.

I'm still surprised that Cayin doesn't sell N3 screen protectors in bulk to MusicTeck and other distributors.

Tha pace of N3 has exceeded our anticipation and the DAP is grown into a fairly big family. Right now we have the following related accessories:
  • Protective case (gray)
  • Silicon case (5 colors)
  • Type C to RCA coaxial cable (100cm)
  • Type C to 3.5mm coaxial cable (15cm)
  • Screen Protector

Theoretically, all these accessories are available through our sales network, but we have noticed our oversee dealers are not as enthusiastic with our accessories. If you are interested to buy any of these items but your dealer didn't have them available, maybe you can ask them to place an order for you in their next shipment. Hopefully this will reduce their logistic cost and if you don't mind to wait for a month or two. If your dealer refused to provide these items at your request, you can contact our Sales Manager at John@Cayin.cn, he is a nice and will try to arrange a transaction for you if possible.

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #3,195 of 6,262
Will do. Thanks

Thanks. I guess I have to get in touch with the seller - not quite sure how to make a claim on the warranty.

Sounds like it might be in sleep mode?

While Lithium battery installed in N3 does not have memory effect, it does has what we called inaccurate gauge issue, and this problem is quite common when a battery has been idled and/or drained for a long time. If you run into inaccurate battery reading or sudden power off when the duration period didn't add up, I suggest you do a gauge calibration to verify the problem. In fact this is something that we all should be doing occasionally. I normally do this after 15-20 charging cycle (2 times 50% charging is count as one cycle) An inaccurate gauge can lead to the fact that the the battery capacity values are are wrong. The battery may report that it still has reasonable capacity when in fact it has a much lower value, and this causes the computer to shutdown unexpectedly. You can google the terms "Calibrate Gauge" on Lithium Battery.

To calibrate the gauge of a lithium battery, you simply need to do a full discharge followed by a full charge, so this is what I advice:

(1) turn on the LED screen to maximum brightness and set the screen to "always on", keep it running until the player turn off itself.
(2) Charge the battery overnight, till you see 99% or 100% on the meter
(3) Set the screen to minimum brightness and 30sec duration only, set it to playback on any CD quality files (Wav or FLAC) continuously til the player power off again. Keep the screen off and check the battery reading every hour, and drop down the battery readings for record.

Hopefully the duration and accuracy of battery reading will go back to an acceptable level after the calibration. If not, we'll have some data to determine if this is a hardware problem or a software problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back