Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 25, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #1,576 of 6,262
Acording to Cayin it doesnt, but it also say its not compatible with android usb audio but i kinda managed it to work with USB Audio Player PRO alltough with lots of breaks. I'll try to mess with USBAPP to see if I can make it work without the breaks.

Yes, this happened sometimes, that's why we listed it as not supported. :D

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 26, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #1,577 of 6,262
So I finally got the Cayin branded USB-C to coax cable from MusicTeck yesterday. It's a very nice cable, exponentially better than the other cable Andrew was selling before these came in. Anyone looking for it should not hesitate to call MusicTeck.

When comparing the coax vs the USB when using the N3 as a transport to my Lake People DAC, I didn't really find them to be all that different sounding but I did uncover some weirdness. Both allow you to use volume and EQ on the N3 but the USB seems to disable the gain setting at the highest level while you can still use all 3 gain settings on the coax. There would be no reason to use any other setting but high though since it's too quiet unless it's on high.

I guess we are still unclear about what kind of signal is coming out of the N3 to the DAC. I'm not complaining, it still sounds quite good, just nowhere near the level of how my cd transport sounds.

I have the same question. But feel like it is being avoided. I do like the way it sounds. But was planning on using it as transport for a mojo. I'm using the coax and when i play a flac i can adjust volume on the n3, but when playing dsd i can't. I just want to make sure the output is not Dac'ed before it goes into the mojo. Because that pretty much makes the mojo useless. I'm hoping it's just a software update they can do. But i ordered a Shanling m2s to try also.

Apr 27, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #1,580 of 6,262
Planning to get the N3 as Transport to the Mojo.

Did my research and yes, the N3 can connect via Coax to the Mojo. But my question is, can the N3 connect to the Mojo via USB? I didn't see anything about this information in the reviews and in this thread (or i missed it).

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #1,581 of 6,262
I'm waiting for my usb cable right now. But others have connected just fine with a usb. But there is still a question weither the signal out is bit perfect or being processed still. The reason being you can still adjust volume and eq with coax. And others have reported being able to eq with usb.

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #1,582 of 6,262
I'm waiting for my usb cable right now. But others have connected just fine with a usb. But there is still a question weither the signal out is bit perfect or being processed still. The reason being you can still adjust volume and eq with coax. And others have reported being able to eq with usb.

I see. let me wait for more feedback then before i get the N3.

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #1,583 of 6,262
Can someone please post the EQ custom settings for deep-bass, I would really appreciate it. My N3 start sounding a lot better with almost a week of burn-in, so happy. Thank you

I have found this (going from left to right, first 4 sliders in decibel – dB):
Mini Bass
+1 +2 -2 -1

Medium Bass
+2 +4 -4 -2

Deep Bass
+4 +8 -8 -4

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #1,586 of 6,262
I have the same question. But feel like it is being avoided. I do like the way it sounds. But was planning on using it as transport for a mojo. I'm using the coax and when i play a flac i can adjust volume on the n3, but when playing dsd i can't. I just want to make sure the output is not Dac'ed before it goes into the mojo. Because that pretty much makes the mojo useless. I'm hoping it's just a software update they can do. But i ordered a Shanling m2s to try also.

I sense a lack of transparency about the transport functionality (usb and coaxial). The question has been asked many times in this thread but it’s becoming a taboo.

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,588 of 6,262
As a paying end-user, we have the right to know the truth about the N3's USB and Coaxial capability as well as it's "incapability"....c'mon Cayin....spit it out.

Too bad they didn't have you on the Watergate inquiry. It would have wrapped up in a week.:beerchug:
i-am-not-a-crook-by-today-s-standards-10120015.png

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #1,589 of 6,262
Too bad they didn't have you on the Watergate inquiry. It would have wrapped up in a week.:beerchug:

That is funny. Here is my truck.
13882592_10210636131126581_4104635414912721626_n.jpg

I've had a Nixon/Agnew sticker since about 2005.
My first iPod was named Spero.

Completely off topic. Sorry.

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #1,590 of 6,262
I agree, the most I'll do is +1db on 31/63.
The thing is my Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 is very neutral and the bass needs some EQ....I am considering replacing them with something more on the bass side ( absolutely no rubbish headphones like Bose or Dr Beats). Maybe JVC HA-SZ2000 OR V-MODA Crossfade M-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back