Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2
Oct 9, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #241 of 300
  Would anyone buy new ear pad?
I bought P5S2 around 2014/12, and I bought new ear pad on 2015/08 about.
In these day, I change my original ear pad to new one.
I found new ear pad thin 3~4 mm than old one.
I find the sound quality had been improved , when I listen by new pad.

I had be confuse about it...... but I think, may be B&W had modify it to new version.
as below picture R: new one  L:xf_eek:ld original

Has the old one been used? The pads probably flatten over time when using them. 

Oct 10, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #243 of 300
After further breaking in the Series 2 P5s I decided to return them and upgrade to the P7s because as good as things truly were with the new P5s my research concluded the P7s were supposedly better still.  Curiousity got the better of me so now I'm breaking in the P7s and I can report that you do not have to break them in much at all to hear improvements over the P5 or the P5 series 2.  Soundstage width is far better with the P7s and depth is somewhat better than the already good Series 2 IMO.  There was an upper mid, lower treble spikey volume hump that was smoothing out during the break in of the Series 2 that is not there at all in the P7s.  The highs of the P7 are a silky, extended thing of wonder. In familiar recordings like Led Zeppelins "We're Gonna Groove" Bonhams ride cymbal and crashes during the middle 8 portion of the song (vinyl version BTW) stopped me in my tracks as I put my head back with eyes closed and literally struck dumb at how clear, smooooth, and sweet  Bonhams Paiste Giant Beat cymbals were recorded and played back through the P7s.  I couldn't make up my mind for sure if I was in a trance or hallucinating because out of the hundreds of times I've listened to  that recording I have never felt I heard it as RIGHT as I was through the new cans.  Listening to the bass lines on Mose Allisons great "I Love The Life I Live" cd as I've done many times I was shocked at how the double bass resonated with a woody projection as I'd never heard.  Reflections off of studio walls from snare drum hits stood out in stark contrast to what I'd heard before also.   I would gladly shell out twice what the P5s go for for the overall improvement I hear of the flagship model and that's not joke.  For only $100 more they're are a steal IMO.  

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #245 of 300

I take picture as below, my new pad same like yours.

below picture is my new pad use two weeks and compare with my 2014 MBPro . 

below is my old original which been used 9 month.

Oct 11, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #246 of 300
It definitely seems like they have adjusted pads then, nice find!

I remember that they tweaked pads a little bit when original P5 was a current model, but I had no idea they've done anything to the pads since. Maybe they wanted to slim down the pads a bit because P5 Wireless is slightly thicker than P5 S2 and now they're selling and producing only 1 version of the pads for both. 

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #247 of 300
It definitely seems like they have adjusted pads then, nice find!

I remember that they tweaked pads a little bit when original P5 was a current model, but I had no idea they've done anything to the pads since. Maybe they wanted to slim down the pads a bit because P5 Wireless is slightly thicker than P5 S2 and now they're selling and producing only 1 version of the pads for both. 

Yes they did, I used to have the old version of the pads where I had to cut down some of the foam since it covered the holes on the pads and made the sound muffled a bit. The revised ones are shaped better and not covering the holes.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #249 of 300
Thanks you to solve my confusion.
I also like new pad audio quality.

For the P5 Series 2 replace cable, I currently used PEC/P5S2 around 4 months.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/B-PEC-P5S2-W-P5S2%E5%B0%82%E7%94%A8%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%83%96%E3%83%AB-PEC-P5S2-%E2%80%BB%E5%86%99%E7%9C%9F%E3%81%AE%E3%83%98%E3%83%83%E3%83%89%E3%83%9B%E3%83%B3%E3%81%AF%E5%88%A5%E5%A3%B2%E3%81%A7%E3%81%99%E3%80%82/dp/B00XXMB722

I very like it better than original P5S2 cable. I advise you to try this one, if you have P5 Wireless / P5 Series 2 or
P5S1 (Someone try it, it works) 

For the Bluetooth Device, I used elecom lbt-par500av, and link with my IPhone 6 plus / Macbook Pro work smoothly.
For IPhone, it encode/decode by AAC.
For Macbook Pro 2014 Yosemite, it encode/decode by APTX.

My best player device is Macbook Pro 2014 now. 

Just share my experience for you.

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #250 of 300

Has the old one been used? The pads probably flatten over time when using them. 

Having read your post about the replacement earpads being thinner and sounding better I emailed Bowers & Wilkins to see what they had to say.  Their response was that there is no difference at all between the original and replacement earpads.  Might just be that the replacement pads memory foam got compressed a little in transit.  Also as the pads get broken in the foam pushes out and covers some of the holes in the leather.  From time to time I remove the pads and push the foam back it and it opens the sound up slightly.  I have been thinking about trying to put something in the pad to keep the foam from spreading out so much.  I really wish B&W had done a better job with keeping the memory foam in place

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #251 of 300
Seriously considering getting a pair of P5 series 2 as my first, more serious, set of HP. I have been torn between this and Beyers T51p, and unfortunately can't find anywhere to try either thus far. I like the stylings of the P5 more, and more similar design to my current sub £50 (sorry very amateur) set of on ear phones. Even though my current set sound actually quite good for the price and have won awards for its price/class, I now have a Fiio X1 and all my music is flac, so feel I should make the effort /deserve to make the effort to get a decent set of phones to complement. Now need to save / hide the bill from the wife once I buy them!

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #252 of 300
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:
Seriously considering getting a pair of P5 series 2 as my first, more serious, set of HP. I have been torn between this and Beyers T51p, and unfortunately can't find anywhere to try either thus far. I like the stylings of the P5 more, and more similar design to my current sub £50 (sorry very amateur) set of on ear phones. Even though my current set sound actually quite good for the price and have won awards for its price/class, I now have a Fiio X1 and all my music is flac, so feel I should make the effort /deserve to make the effort to get a decent set of phones to complement. Now need to save / hide the bill from the wife once I buy them!

I have never heard T51p, but I can wholeheartedly recommend P5 Series 2 as an excellent pair of on-ear headphones! 

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #253 of 300
Have so just seen there's about a £50 difference between the p5 and p7 on Amazon. Is the difference in SQ that noticeable? I'm mainly listening at home so I guess on ear/over ear isnt much of a difference for me.

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #254 of 300
Have so just seen there's about a £50 difference between the p5 and p7 on Amazon. Is the difference in SQ that noticeable? I'm mainly listening at home so I guess on ear/over ear isnt much of a difference for me.

Soundwise P7 is easily worth the difference. However, I've had P7 and they were so uncomfortable on my head that I couldn't really enjoy them. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back