Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
May 31, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #916 of 4,790
Anyone else experienced excessive sibilance with the 1990s? Here's a fairly sibilant track:

Really hard to listen to with the Beyers. My M1060s handle it fine...

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #917 of 4,790
Anyone else experienced excessive sibilance with the 1990s? Here's a fairly sibilant track:

Really hard to listen to with the Beyers. My M1060s handle it fine...

That's just a poorly recorded track, it's sibilant on basically everything, it's like they are purposely accentuating the sibilants. It's only tolerable on my DT 480's.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #918 of 4,790
That's just a poorly recorded track, it's sibilant on basically everything, it's like they are purposely accentuating the sibilants. It's only tolerable on my DT 480's.

Excellent, thanks. Interesting to know. Basic message is that any headphone that does a good job reproducing mids/highs will be sibilant on that track. M1060s are tolerable, but they certainly have recessed upper mids.

May 31, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #919 of 4,790
Excellent, thanks. Interesting to know. Basic message is that any headphone that does a good job reproducing mids/highs will be sibilant on that track. M1060s are tolerable, but they certainly have recessed upper mids.

That's probably why they are tolerable, it's a little more tolerable on my Amiron but that has less prominent upper mids than the DT 1990. The DT 480 isn't recessed in the upper mids, actually has more than the DT 1990 but it's a headphone that refuses to be overly sibilant, if it's notably sibilant on those, then it's without a doubt the track. The sibilance in the track reminds me of the sibilant effect I've heard added to certain metal tracks.

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #921 of 4,790
Listened to my tuner for a long time, rediscovering a whole bunch of 80-90's songs. I didn't know old good analog broadcast can sound so well.

I've the clear impression they have a resolving power limited either by the recording or by other elements of the chain.

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #922 of 4,790
Is there a guide on how to clean these ? I saw a guide on replacing the pads but not cleaning and afraid if I follow the replacement guide clean them and re use them, that they won't stick

Thanks

Jul 2, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #924 of 4,790
Is the DT1990 more neutral, natural and realistic than the DT1770?

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #926 of 4,790
FYI you can purchase an amazing parametric equalizer for USB Audio Player Pro for a few dollars.
Have that aswell, its nice but I found the EQ soso.

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #927 of 4,790
Is there a guide on how to clean these ? I saw a guide on replacing the pads but not cleaning and afraid if I follow the replacement guide clean them and re use them, that they won't stick

Thanks

No need to remove the pads.

I use non fragrant baby wipes to wipe the pads and then dab with kitchen towel to remove excess moisture and then leave for a few hours to air dry.

I never use alcohol wipes as it can damage fabrics and plastics.

Jul 7, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #929 of 4,790
Just got these today. This is my first experience with Tesla drivers and boy my initial impressions are very positive. These headphones sound amazing with the balanced pads out of my Pro iCan. Does Beyerdynamic make a balanced cable for these?

IMG_2347.JPG

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #930 of 4,790
Just got these today. This is my first experience with Tesla drivers and boy my initial impressions are very positive. These headphones sound amazing with the balanced pads out of my Pro iCan. Does Beyerdynamic make a balanced cable for these?

Sadly you can't go balanced without modding them, that's the drawback of their 3-pin mini-XLR cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back