Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Mod Thread
Jul 24, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #16 of 90
IMG_6980.JPG
Magickman, covering the bass port did wonders for the bass so far. Thanks so much for sharing!
UPDATE:
I am now using the DT1770 headphones for recording purposes and isolation. I initially found the mids recessed, highs too subdued and low end too powerful.
I ended up using leatherette pads for the best isolation, blu-tack to cover 70% the bass ports and removing the foam inserts. It's as neutral as I've gotten it with leatherette pads.
Also, it sits best on my head with the L on 3 notches and right on 1 notch for some reason.
Hope this helps someone else wanting a more neutral and forward sound with these.

ORIGINAL POST:
I tried removing the foam, which did improve the high clarity, but then the mids became so recessed in contrast that the tonal balance was way off IMO.
So far, the best sound I've gotten is by covering the bass port with blutak right around 50% and leaving the pads in. At least this way the bass isn't drowning out the mids.
Granted, I did all this today so my ears may need time to adjust to these things.
Hope for a more neutral sound in these, but they seem more tuned towards pleasing and smiley curve usage so far. The stock bass is absurdly high with pleather pads!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #17 of 90
Long time lurker here, I'm used to my Audeze LCD3, so on the DT-1770 Pros as a cheaper closed option for work, while I expected it to be a lot more analytical, I did expect it to have a bit of fun, and got it mostly, but I felt that the mids were a bit on the dry/flat side.

I didn't go "all in" - I only removed the black foam pads. After doing this, the mids really did open up considerably and made it a bit warmer and more fun/dynamic. I went from considering returning/selling these to absolutely keeping them. The mod did encourage a very slight amount of EQing, mostly on reducing v slightly the treble side for me, since I am used to slightly darker sound signatures - but I expect for many people it will not require any EQ at all.

I fully recommend everyone with these phones to try the first stage of this mod, which is absolutely transforming, and fully recoverable. It makes the phones more fun to listen to, while preserving all the detail.

Thanks for the thread @TwoEars :beyersmile:

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #18 of 90
I got the DT1770 today and find the vocals at lower volumes to thick and rumbly. The old DT770 sounds much brighter to me.

I will try with a bright source. But these seem a little rolled off to me in the high treble, where DT700 needs reduction in EQ from 10khz to 16khz the DT1770 could use a boost to my ears.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #19 of 90
I recognize that this thread is old, but with the Amiron wireless out now, I thought this might be relevant.

I borrowed someone else's idea about the Dt 770 BT mod and made my own with the 1770

.I purchased the following:

1. ES 100
2. Branwavz HM5
3. Ek500s

I spent $140 in all. You have to cut the Hm5 very slightly to re-attach the plastic rings to the cups. DO NOT OVERCUT. Take a utility knife and remove 3/16" of an inch around the permiter of the opening on the back of the headphone, and they will work. Align them so the seams are at the bottom of the headphone, and align with the mini xlr plug. This makes sure that the oblong pads are set to fit your ears better than the other way. The result is more comfortable pads, more spacious sound (by removing the thick black covering to the drivers) and greater portability. I found that the increased space in the pads made me sweat less while using in the gym, that the treble increased and is more open by removing the black pads, and that the SQ difference, while present in BT vs wired, is minimal enough that the convenience in the gym is worth it for me, especially as it sounds better than any BT headphone that I have tried. I should also note that I bought e round XL pads based on someone saying that they would fit, but they are too large. Stick with the HM5's. They work great and are more comfortable than the stock pads on this.

20180602_122746.jpg 20180602_122802.jpg

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #20 of 90
I should also note that I bought e round XL pads based on someone saying that they would fit, but they are too large. Stick with the HM5's.

I purchased sheepskin rounds (non XL) and they fit fine. The large pads are obviously too big, even judging by brainwavz own dimensions chart.
XL has 65mm hole diameter and 110 earpad diameter, that fits only AKG 701 alike (AFAIK ofcourse) while regular version is 55mm - 100mm, and that fits most beyers.

P.S. I mean i get that in gym the cord is quite annoying, but you still got to have your BT transmitter close (phone or other) so player would've done just the same for you.
That makes your mod, in my mind at least, much better for home or on the go use case scenarios...

P.P.S. Be careful with that XLR connector. In my experience running wears it down quite fast, its so long, my shoulders constantly scratched it.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #21 of 90
I put the ES100 on the headphone itself (it's shown on the Pic). Otherwise, you are correct and it would be the same level of inconvenience as just plugging into a phone in my pocket I keep my phone in my gym bag. It only tends to skip when I leave my bag wherever I'm doing my set and walk across the gym to get water.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #22 of 90
I purchased sheepskin rounds (non XL) and they fit fine. The large pads are obviously too big, even judging by brainwavz own dimensions chart.
XL has 65mm hole diameter and 110 earpad diameter, that fits only AKG 701 alike (AFAIK ofcourse) while regular version is 55mm - 100mm, and that fits most beyers.

P.S. I mean i get that in gym the cord is quite annoying, but you still got to have your BT transmitter close (phone or other) so player would've done just the same for you.
That makes your mod, in my mind at least, much better for home or on the go use case scenarios...

P.P.S. Be careful with that XLR connector. In my experience running wears it down quite fast, its so long, my shoulders constantly scratched it.

Can you please share pics of your beyer dt 1770 with the brainwavz sheepskin on them? Do they fit snugly and without overlaps? Lastly, how does it affect the sound? I would really appreciate the reply since I've been looking for good replacement pads for mine as my pleather got teared up.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #23 of 90
Can you please share pics of your beyer dt 1770 with the brainwavz sheepskin on them? Do they fit snugly and without overlaps? Lastly, how does it affect the sound? I would really appreciate the reply since I've been looking for good replacement pads for mine as my pleather got teared up.

Well, they are bigger and deeper than the original ones, so the effect of these pads will be pretty big. Sound stage gets much wider and bass gets a boost. However you trade a bit of clarity and separation. I'd say its an equal trade off, with enhanced comfort. Thats for me though, your results may vary.
The pads fit really good.
Cant add photos at the moment, here are links to imgur.
https://imgur.com/a/zQPFI1z
https://imgur.com/a/X0LrHO2

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #25 of 90
Does anybody know if the Mini XLR is replaceable in these? I have somebody who wants to replace it with a 3.5mm jack, and I'm not sure if the swap is possible at all.

It should be, the wiring inside is pretty simple. The connector is held by hot glue if i'm not mistaken, so replacing that part will be tricky. And it is likely it wont be usable after that...

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #26 of 90
It should be, the wiring inside is pretty simple. The connector is held by hot glue if i'm not mistaken, so replacing that part will be tricky. And it is likely it wont be usable after that...

Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna give it a look on the inside when I receive them. If it's too much I'm just going to make a small adapter for them instead.

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #27 of 90
Hi, I just received the Dekoni Sheepskin pads but having a quite hard time to fit on the 1770. The sawing around the fitting ring seems too thick, it just can't go into the socket. How did you managed it guys? Cheers.

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #28 of 90
Hi, I just received the Dekoni Sheepskin pads but having a quite hard time to fit on the 1770. The sawing around the fitting ring seems too thick, it just can't go into the socket. How did you managed it guys? Cheers.

You can pull the ring off seen here, and that might allow you to put the pads on easier.

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/8319305.jpg

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #29 of 90
Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna give it a look on the inside when I receive them. If it's too much I'm just going to make a small adapter for them instead.

Also, to follow up on my project, I was able to fit a 3.5mm stereo Philmore snap-in jack in the DT 1770 with relative ease. No drilling required. The only slight issue is that the mini xlr connector is slightly larger than our 3.5mm jack, so I filled in the hole with blu tack and it works fine.

B3S10QV.jpg ZxwMiHY.jpg

This mod is completely reversible. You can pop the old mini xlr back in without a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back