Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Mod Thread
Jan 20, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #76 of 90
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #77 of 90
Hey guys,

Just install the damping and mass loading mod on my 1770, and then the bass port sticker, which makes the port smaller. Thoughts: It seems to smooth out the tone overall. Bass is not as boomy. Vocals seem more prominent. Treble seems a bit more refined. Isolation is improved. Totally worth the 20 minutes and $11.50. Here is the link to order: https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index....ervice/beyerdynamic-detachable-cable-mod.html

Here is the instructional vid they made. The damping is slightly different, but not that different: there is just a circle in the middle of the back of the cup.

Really happy with these with the XL pads the I sewed (poorly), and the new mod. When music is on, I can't hear anything else in a noisy gym, and the XL gives more space and seems to increase clarity.

Note: Hard to do an A/B with 20 minutes in between, so my impressions are not totally scientific. I would need 2 pairs of 1770's side by side to be sure, but it seems that they sound better with the damping and mass loading. Not sure how to explain it, but just a bit better clarity, and separation, and maybe slightly more even, less V shaped, even though I like a V shape with good mid bass.

How does this mod affect the sub bass extension and general bass impact & slam and taming of treble? I want to upgrade from my DT 770 but with its sub bass in tact with much better mids and less hot treble

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #78 of 90
Even an unmodded 1770 beats the 770. 1770 is better than the amiron, monopolize m1060 closed, denon mm400,and so on. I'm not a purist so I EQ using hiby music to make each headphone what I want, but the above mods do improve the stage and resolution. I recommend doing the mods.

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #80 of 90
Well, that's what I have done since my previous post and I believe I've seen quite an improvement doing so! Indeed, there is a quite a step in terms of clarity and intimacy: I believe any DT-1770 owner should try this out!

I'll progress with the smallest membrane once I'll have a proper setup for EQ'ing, for now I'll try Magick Man's port tuning.
Do you think removing the first layer (big black filter) is better move on DT1770 Pro over DT177x, considering i will purchase either Dt177x or DT1770Pro.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #81 of 90
Thread revive.

I’ve got a pair of 177x Go that I took the all but the huge black disc of foam out of and replaced the pads with dekoni hybrids. The only issue I have left is a peak in 1khz region. I can eq it out but the perfectionist in me wants to tune it out. Any ideas?

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #82 of 90
Hi have any one tried 4pin balanced mini xlr
REAN RT4MPR
http://www.rean-connectors.com/en/products/rt4mpr

I ordered a few of both versions of these with nuts on the front and back. Eventually I'll do a balanced convo on some DT880/600s I have coming.

You would want a 4 pin mini xlr that has a nut on the back of the jack, instead of the front. Unless you just wanted to hot glue the jack in, which would work also but may not last forever

Thanks, why is one preferable over the other? My DT1770s are in another country and my DT880s should arrive Monday so I don't have anything to check at the moment.

I’ve got a pair of 177x Go that I took the all but the huge black disc of foam out of and replaced the pads with dekoni hybrids. The only issue I have left is a peak in 1khz region. I can eq it out but the perfectionist in me wants to tune it out. Any ideas?

I would say live with it for a while unless you already have, until you're sure. I always give myself time with any new gear (I don't mod much though) because it takes me a while to hear what's going on. I'll be interested in what you come up with. I'm watching this thread.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #83 of 90
I wanna contribute a little, i also have modded my 1770 pro to a 3.5mm plug and honestly it looks "like stock" in my eyes.
Have a look (just a quick phone picture)
img_20221019_170215hef70.jpg

I ordered some things:
1. CONNECTION SOCKET, LEFT HOUSING DT 1770 PRO / DT 1990 PRO
2. 3.5mm input jack (well had those laying around
3. Beyerdynamic custom Headset gear (actually got it from Beyerdynamic.de for 44€ incl. shipping)

Than the fun part began, i tapped out the mini xlr out of it's housing (managed it without breaking)
img_20221019_170418s9fyb.jpg

Original XLR next to the tapped out one.

Unsoldered the cable from the stock connector and soldered everything together on the 3.5mm jack, than screwed the modded one back in place -> profit?!?
Now i can use it as a headset while traveling around or when i'm on my laptop.

And if i feel like i want the miniXLR i just can open the can, screw the miniXLR in place and get back to enjoying music!

Oct 19, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #84 of 90
I wanna contribute a little, i also have modded my 1770 pro to a 3.5mm plug and honestly it looks "like stock" in my eyes.
Have a look (just a quick phone picture)
img_20221019_170215hef70.jpg

I ordered some things:
1. CONNECTION SOCKET, LEFT HOUSING DT 1770 PRO / DT 1990 PRO
2. 3.5mm input jack (well had those laying around
3. Beyerdynamic custom Headset gear (actually got it from Beyerdynamic.de for 44€ incl. shipping)

Than the fun part began, i tapped out the mini xlr out of it's housing (managed it without breaking)
img_20221019_170418s9fyb.jpg

Original XLR next to the tapped out one.

Unsoldered the cable from the stock connector and soldered everything together on the 3.5mm jack, than screwed the modded one back in place -> profit?!?
Now i can use it as a headset while traveling around or when i'm on my laptop.

And if i feel like i want the miniXLR i just can open the can, screw the miniXLR in place and get back to enjoying music!
Agreed! Great job :)

Oct 19, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #85 of 90
A small update, i had to drill a little hole in between the 3.5mm jack and that "aluminum insert" (didn't damaged the can in any way, still reversible 100%) for an "anti-twist" bolt.
Well, okay the bolt is more a 1.6mm thick nail...

Drilled with a 1.5mm drill (well 1.56mm to be accurate, measured it with a digital caliper)

pushed the pin in, gave it a soft tap with a plastic hammer, done.
Now the mic doesn't rotates freely anymore! The Custom headset gear has a small groove, which fits perfectly.

I will provide a picture as soon as my photospace is available for me... actually it's super slow.

Here's my anti twist solution, looks still good imo:
img_20221019_211814m9c8j.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #87 of 90
Glad you like it! I'd change to either qudelix or ifi go blu. Go blue sounds best of the 3 but not sure of there's a clip for it. As a BT set though, you can beat that set up.

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #88 of 90
Glad you like it! I'd change to either qudelix or ifi go blu. Go blue sounds best of the 3 but not sure of there's a clip for it. As a BT set though, you can beat that set up.
*can't. Can't beat that set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back