CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 21, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #3,050 of 31,833
New job, so won't have time to run it anymore.

That's better than a silver lining!

look-for-the-silver-lining_o-2.jpg

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #3,051 of 31,833
Is anyone here using the **** 6 in 1 XBA? I just received my pair yesterday, and listened to them for a couple of hours with just the stock triple flange tips. In general, they sound quite good. At least brand new, there is some congestion in the upper mids, particularly when handling massed strings. Also, I listened to a couple of Sia tracks, and the upper mids are a bit artificial sounding in spots. I think some burn in and different tips will probably help that a lot. Other than that, they sound pretty balanced. Source was just my Nexus 6p, but I run the Ainur audio software on it (Sauron, with the Dirac add-on). I was using Neutron as the player.

So, my general overall impression was quite positive. I also listened to some Coldplay, live from the Albert Hall, Shostakovich Symphonies 1 and 7 (Chicago Symphony / Bernstein) and a little bit of Yes, Magnification.

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #3,052 of 31,833
Is anyone here using the **** 6 in 1 XBA? I just received my pair yesterday, and listened to them for a couple of hours with just the stock triple flange tips. In general, they sound quite good. At least brand new, there is some congestion in the upper mids, particularly when handling massed strings. Also, I listened to a couple of Sia tracks, and the upper mids are a bit artificial sounding in spots. I think some burn in and different tips will probably help that a lot. Other than that, they sound pretty balanced. Source was just my Nexus 6p, but I run the Ainur audio software on it (Sauron, with the Dirac add-on). I was using Neutron as the player.

So, my general overall impression was quite positive. I also listened to some Coldplay, live from the Albert Hall, Shostakovich Symphonies 1 and 7 (Chicago Symphony / Bernstein) and a little bit of Yes, Magnification.

Yeah, I listen to these quite often and like them for the unique soundsignature they give. Burn in will open the sound a little cause I don,t feel they are congested, the just lack a little deepness and clarity to became perfection. Really, try to listen to bassy music and use perhaps a silicone eartips that can go deep in ear, triple flange can stole some bass and mids IMO.

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #3,053 of 31,833
Yeah, I listen to these quite often and like them for the unique soundsignature they give. Burn in will open the sound a little cause I don,t feel they are congested, the just lack a little deepness and clarity to became perfection. Really, try to listen to bassy music and use perhaps a silicone eartips that can go deep in ear, triple flange can stole some bass and mids IMO.

Thanks for the reply. Oh, there is plenty of bass for me, at least. The problem is that the higher mid range starts running together at certain times. It sounds like sibilance, but a a little lower frequency than I normally associate with sibilance. For example, the choruses on Sia's I'm Alive shows this. Because of that, the sound gets kind of artificial sounding. I have a bunch of other tips on the way. The packaging I got was just the phones, the triple flange tips and a set of small, medium and large silicone tips. I tried the medium silicone tips, but like the triple flange better.

Oh, I forgot to mention that one of the things I listened to was Steve Hackett - The Total Experience Live in Liverpool. There is a track call Shadow of the Hierophant that has a ton of synthesizer bass pedals on it. I also checked using the Bink Audio FLAC Test tones - I can hear the 10hz tone with these phones. I cannot hear that one on my Fostexes.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #3,054 of 31,833
Thanks for the reply. Oh, there is plenty of bass for me, at least. The problem is that the higher mid range starts running together at certain times. It sounds like sibilance, but a a little lower frequency than I normally associate with sibilance. For example, the choruses on Sia's I'm Alive shows this. Because of that, the sound gets kind of artificial sounding. I have a bunch of other tips on the way. The packaging I got was just the phones, the triple flange tips and a set of small, medium and large silicone tips. I tried the medium silicone tips, but like the triple flange better.

Oh, I forgot to mention that one of the things I listened to was Steve Hackett - The Total Experience Live in Liverpool. There is a track call Shadow of the Hierophant that has a ton of synthesizer bass pedals on it. I also checked using the Bink Audio FLAC Test tones - I can hear the 10hz tone with these phones. I cannot hear that one on my Fostexes.

Just listen to the Alive track here trough Ibasso DX90 dac:

And, I think I understand what you say, cause she have a very high pitch voice and when she sing ''im (ssssss)still breathing'' little hissing in background voice can occur.

It do it (more subtle) with Agnes Obel song too:

Lot of my iem can do stuff like this, earbud too....but now I feel I will became obsess by this devil details cause it doesn't really bother me before, i feel 6in1 are better with electro and instrumentals in general.

Now, I try with male vocal with Timber Timbre:

I feel the ''problem'' occur less with male vocal. Quite natural sounding here.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #3,055 of 31,833

Mine I think were defective, I have no bass at all, and the treble I just can't stand it's sibilance, but they do sound kinda good with a couple of tracks at low volume.
Overall disappointed with them, gonna try to sell them soon at it's original price, as I paid only 30 USD hahaha, but I just think my pair is defective, I don't discourage anyone to try them.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #3,056 of 31,833
Mine I think were defective, I have no bass at all, and the treble I just can't stand it's sibilance, but they do sound kinda good with a couple of tracks at low volume.
Overall disappointed with them, gonna try to sell them soon at it's original price, as I paid only 30 USD hahaha, but I just think my pair is defective, I don't discourage anyone to try them.

What???
Yeah, I really think they are defective mate, sorry to hear this....no bass at all is the opposite of the real sound of XBA 6in1:scream_cat:

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #3,058 of 31,833
KZ engineer are on steroid I think.

KZ ZS5 wave is far from being fall and still, a new KZ model will arrive very soon.

KZ ZSE Dual driver open back out in 2 days the 25 july!

Only pic:
Capture d’écran (34).png

Well well, if these have a airy sound signature it sure can be interesting soundiing!

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #3,059 of 31,833
This sounds stupid, but check to make sure the headphone jack is fully seated in your source. Mine was unusually hard to completely seat, which is a good thing from a secure connection standpoint, but a bad thing from a sound standpoint if not fully seated. I could still hear both channels, but they did not sound good at all until I checked and completely seated the connector.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #3,060 of 31,833
KZ engineer are on steroid I think.

KZ ZS5 wave is far from being fall and still, a new KZ model will arrive very soon.

KZ ZSE Dual driver open back out in 2 days the 25 july!

Only pic:

Well well, if these have a airy sound signature it sure can be interesting soundiing!

Man that is good looking. I'm going to be all over that. I'm hoping (and assuming) that's it's going to have a nice airy sound and wide soundstage with that large open grille!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back