Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jul 24, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #136 of 5,166
There is lg but quite expensive around here. How is the sound card of xiaomi mi5 plus. Is it better then my current note 4.

I will look into that Meizu.

Only xiaomi model that invested in sound department is xiaomi mi note / mi note pro. But I don't think you can find whole new box already.

Any vivo model there? or maybe fiio x5iii is suit your need as separated DAP.

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #138 of 5,166
None of them if you want some serious audio performance. Choose between lg v20 or lg g6 according to your budget and preferences. Both of them are available at decent price on amazon India.

Rest is up to you, if you want a better phone then I would recommend oneplus.

I know that LG G6 and V20 are great options and infact on top there in audio department but i am more inclined towards OnePlus or Honor. And it's not like i am some sort of audiophile that is trying to nitpick every stuff, i just want more than decent audio experience. So i want to know which one would be better amongst 3T and Honor 8 pro in audio via 3.5 mm jack ?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #139 of 5,166
Hi

Ive just joined and this is my first post.

I love my phone, elephone p9000, full of features at a cheap price. I brought my wife a pair of sony 100abn headphones, mostly it sounds good, but on my phone with tidal it sounded poor, that's with CD quality tidal, like listening to Napster mp3 through a HiFi system.

I thought it was the Bluetooth, so I plugged it in wired. Still sounded poor, I'm thinking the headphones are highlighting the weakness in my phone, does any one know of the quality of the DAC on the elephone p9000? it uses MT6755 if thats relevant. Here's some more specs
http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/7da9397e

Thanks

Jul 24, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #140 of 5,166
I know that LG G6 and V20 are great options and infact on top there in audio department but i am more inclined towards OnePlus or Honor. And it's not like i am some sort of audiophile that is trying to nitpick every stuff, i just want more than decent audio experience. So i want to know which one would be better amongst 3T and Honor 8 pro in audio via 3.5 mm jack ?

If I need to guess, I predict huawei will do better than oneplus.

I didn't test them directly but I did have ~5min test for each device long time ago. Oneplus 1+2 vs huawei mate 9. Huawei do have better power and richer. Well but that is long time with short test time from me. Take my word with grain of salt.

Jul 24, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #141 of 5,166
I wonder how persistently some people try to get the recommendation as to audiosmartphone without ANY special audio nesting inside - no at least some Wolfson codec, naming the same models over and over again! Xiaomi Redmi/MI brood, Samsung Galaxy brood before S8 (where Samsung at last tried to improve the lousy sound), OnePlus brood, etc. etc. etc.

Guys! The smartphones, which have sound, are already in the table here! No sense to ask about the same "deaf" models. I am also upset, that sound is what manufactures do not care much. But this is how life is...

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #142 of 5,166
Hi

Ive just joined and this is my first post.

I love my phone, elephone p9000, full of features at a cheap price. I brought my wife a pair of sony 100abn headphones, mostly it sounds good, but on my phone with tidal it sounded poor, that's with CD quality tidal, like listening to Napster mp3 through a HiFi system.

I thought it was the Bluetooth, so I plugged it in wired. Still sounded poor, I'm thinking the headphones are highlighting the weakness in my phone, does any one know of the quality of the DAC on the elephone p9000? it uses MT6755 if thats relevant. Here's some more specs
http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/7da9397e

Thanks

This not even has any dedicated chip of dac amp. Just helio cpu's sound card. It might be good phone but I dont think it is good enough for earphone experience. That Sony earphone is already compromised earphone that can easily match with most normal phone so I think it is the device centric problem

- wifi/LTE interference
- software not optimized for music playback
-etc.

Jul 24, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #143 of 5,166
@alexandis

That's okay, man. My personal objective of this thread is to serve various kind of questions about phones. It is like a filtering process.
  1. Persons who comes to find best option at their budget will get a set of choices and make their own choice from my Table (google Doc)
  2. If they read and still have doubt or Persons who comes with question A vs B have their own free to ask here. If anyone or I know, I will try my best to answer based on my experience.
I would like to keep the environment of this thread as a friendly thread where people who are having problems with buying/using ANY phones can come to ask or discuss.
I understand your points thoroughly though as a thread starter, I need to compromise with everyone. :beyersmile:

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #144 of 5,166
So, Meizu PRO 7 is the first exciting audio phone of 2017 imho. There is still a lack of info, but as far as I can tell, it uses new Cirrus Logic CS43130 dac/amp combo. I was really excited until I found out that it is the same audio circuitry as in Galaxy S8 exynos though...

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #145 of 5,166
So, Meizu PRO 7 is the first exciting audio phone of 2017 imho. There is still a lack of info, but as far as I can tell, it uses new Cirrus Logic CS43130 dac/amp combo. I was really excited until I found out that it is the same audio circuitry as in Galaxy S8 exynos though...
Don't get final before people can review it. The dac itself doesn't make the product. Meizu's initial business was audio after all...

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #146 of 5,166
I checked the specs of the DAC used by the Meizu Pro 7 and it's pretty great for a single component to achieve all that. 600ohm is very high, don't think it's gonna be that good in actual use but with some 150ohm headphones the job would be done properly.

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #147 of 5,166
Wait for price announcement of Pro7 and plus from dealer. I would like to try out back screen as well.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #149 of 5,166
the best thing about the pro 7 is the upcoming price drop for the pro 6 plus :)
Pro 6 plus is on sale everywhere (<400€), which is indicative of the next model arrival.
But Pro 6 Plus is just a wet dud because you can't expand storage (double nano-sim = no micro-sd, they should have kept micro-sim format so the second slot could be used for sim or microsd).

Let's hope the Pro 7 will accomodate a microsd card, otherwise it's just another dud.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #150 of 5,166
Pro 6 plus is on sale everywhere (<400€), which is indicative of the next model arrival.
But Pro 6 Plus is just a wet dud because you can't expand storage (double nano-sim = no micro-sd, they should have kept micro-sim format so the second slot could be used for sim or microsd).

Let's hope the Pro 7 will accomodate a microsd card, otherwise it's just another dud.

Pro 7 also cannot add micro sd card after pro5, there isn't any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back