Best IEMs between 100-150 USD
Apr 24, 2017 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Zenbun

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have the VSonic GR06 which I don't like because of its treble is very fatiguing, I can't use them for more than an hour. They also have weak bass. 

I also have the ttpod t1e which are good only with an amp, which is an inconvenience. 

So I'm looking for high-end iems that won't disappoint me, I listen mostly to electronic music of all kinds so bass is important, and to a lot of female vocals.
I also listen to metal and classical and a little rock and I don't want them to sound muddy with metal or rock. 

I read a lot of good things about the 1more triple driver, is there anything better? 

The Sennheiser IE80 is recommended a lot but it's a little more pricey, is it worth it to wait for its price to drop?

I drive them with Sansa clip plus or a computer, I don't want to lag around an amp (I have a creative soundblaster E1).

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 24
  I currently have the VSonic GR06 which I don't like because of its treble is very fatiguing, I can't use them for more than an hour. They also have weak bass. 

I also have the ttpod t1e which are good only with an amp, which is an inconvenience. 

So I'm looking for high-end iems that won't disappoint me, I listen mostly to electronic music of all kinds so bass is important, and to a lot of female vocals.
I also listen to metal and classical and a little rock and I don't want them to sound muddy with metal or rock. 

I read a lot of good things about the 1more triple driver, is there anything better? 

The Sennheiser IE80 is recommended a lot but it's a little more pricey, is it worth it to wait for its price to drop?

I like the 1More a whole lot. It is a terrific value. It sounds great. I also think you should look into the RHA MA750. It is also terrific, very well made, and has a three-year warranty, which is really unusual. You might check it out and see what you think. Maybe read about it and see what you think. Who knows--it might work. I would say the 1More and the RHA are roughly equivalent in terms of price/performance ratio. Haven't heard the IE80 in too long to be able to comment. My impression was that it was a good value at its current price.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 24
Dunu dn 1000

Apr 25, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 24
  I like the 1More a whole lot. It is a terrific value. It sounds great. I also think you should look into the RHA MA750. It is also terrific, very well made, and has a three-year warranty, which is really unusual. You might check it out and see what you think. Maybe read about it and see what you think. Who knows--it might work. I would say the 1More and the RHA are roughly equivalent in terms of price/performance ratio. Haven't heard the IE80 in too long to be able to comment. My impression was that it was a good value at its current price.

The RHA MA750 has 16 ohm resistance, isn't it a little low? Doesn't it make its highs piercing like the VSonics?

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 24
Impedance (it isn't resistance - this isn't a DC system) has no direct correlation to frequency response and is not a "quality" or "hard to drive" metric.
smily_headphones1.gif

What do you mean it isn't resistance? Doesn't ohm's law apply to the current in the headphones? 
Also, you're telling me my little clip plus can produce AC? Where's the inverter from the DC in the battery to AC?

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 24
What do you mean it isn't resistance? Doesn't ohm's law apply to the current in the headphones?
Also, you're telling me my little clip plus can produce AC? Where's the inverter from the DC in the battery to AC?

Resistance isn't impedance but it's similar, to make it simple, resistance only applies to the DC current while impedance applies to AC. If an audio signal wasn't AC, how would the driver be able to produce a sound wave. A DC current would mean that the driver just pushes in one direction so no sound would be produced as there is no further movement. Also, it isn't your battery that is producing the audio current, it's your DAC. The DAC itself is a converter which is what turns the DC into AC.

Apr 26, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 24
1 More Triple Drivers no fatigue at all don't know about the IE 80's as I haven't heard them. The Triples are on a bit of the warm side bit with decent detail and decent bass. I really liked the Quad Drivers as I don't mind a bit more brightness to my phones but they weren't sibilant either.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 24
1more triple driver is really good for the price, the sound signature seems to be targeted at the typical millennial kind of sound(your typical mainstream English songs nowadays). The bass is smooth and hits well albeit a little dark, not really well suited for orchestra related music, highs is the weak point. The cons would be the stupidly high impedance. I have to crank up the volume on my AK70 at around 120 out of a max of 150 for it to be loud enough for casual listening and 135/150 to really discern the details but your mileage might vary. Nonetheless, it's a really good IEM at that price point and in fact one of the best if I would.(I'm an ATH-IM02 owner)

Tl;Dr : your bass and electric songs will sound good, classical not really, female vocals a little disappointing.

I would recommend co-donguri as it's good for quite a lot despite its low price.

Cheers

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 24
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 24
Resistance isn't impedance but it's similar, to make it simple, resistance only applies to the DC current while impedance applies to AC. If an audio signal wasn't AC, how would the driver be able to produce a sound wave. A DC current would mean that the driver just pushes in one direction so no sound would be produced as there is no further movement. Also, it isn't your battery that is producing the audio current, it's your DAC. The DAC itself is a converter which is what turns the DC into AC.

Exactly.

Zenbun said:

To add some more:

- Impedance is complex resistance in an AC system; its frequency dependent (and therefore the "nominal impedance" you see in specs is not the entire story - impedance may be higher or lower at certain points wrt frequency). Instead of responding with such a snarky comment, you could've gone and googled the word you didn't understand, and arrived somewhere like here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance

- DC kills drivers. You get an analog audio signal out from the DAC (that's AC) and then its amplified and sent off to the headphones. If you feed DC into a driver you will generally damage it, and that's why amplifiers and other devices have start-up protection to prevent the initial DC spike from touching the drivers.

- I know you were trying to be cute by insisting "show me the inverter!!" - your portable device may very well have one, to drive the backlight for the LCD. But that isn't connected to the audio section (although, depending on the device, it may bleed noise into it).

- Finally, "doesn't Ohm's Law apply" - yes it does, but you have to take phase and frequency into account as well. When you bring an amplifier into the equation, Jacobi's Law also interacts with it, and can result in measurable (and potentially audible) changes to frequency response. This is more likely the case with multi-driver IEMs or other systems that have crossovers and/or multiple drivers.

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 24
Out of the ones mentioned.

dunu Dn 1000 - these are high end and great price, but if you are looking for "fatigue free" don't touch them.

RHA M750 - Nice all rounder, very v shaped, big soundstage and beautifully built. Fatigue free as quite warm

1More Triple D - Very warm sound, very fatigue free. Good value for a TD. i found them a bit too smooth though and the bass a bit wooly.

Why don't you look in to the LZ A4 which might be just above your price range but worth it.

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 24
Out of the ones mentioned.

dunu Dn 1000 - these are high end and great price, but if you are looking for "fatigue free" don't touch them.

RHA M750 - Nice all rounder, very v shaped, big soundstage and beautifully built. Fatigue free as quite warm

1More Triple D - Very warm sound, very fatigue free. Good value for a TD. i found them a bit too smooth though and the bass a bit wooly.

Why don't you look in to the LZ A4 which might be just above your price range but worth it.
Hey sorry for barging in, I've been on the forum having a question in mind for a couple of days now and received no answer. I would like to know which would you recommend between V-Moda Zn or 1More Triple Driver for EDM? Do not take their respective price point into consideration, I'm looking for the best sound quality.

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #15 of 24
I'm afraid I haven't used the V-Moda set. Me personally, I wouldn't use the 1more TD for EDM though. For that type of music perhaps look into the Trinity Audio Deltas, good punchy bass and keeps up well with fast music. If money isn't an option the LZ A4 which is very well rated on Head Fi and a IMO a jack of all trades with a filter system that works. Great deep quality bass, big soundstage and plenty detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back