Benjie Offical Thread
Apr 19, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #1,337 of 2,126
Just wanna get the thoughts of all the heads in this thread regarding these two budget, perfomance behemoths - the Fiio M3 and the Benjie S5. Between these two, which do y'all think is the better perfomer - sound quality wise?

For me, If these two are compared side-by-side, both standalone, the M3 wins by a mile but only because of the M3's amp section as it can drive iems and some hps with ease. But soundwise, I don't really hear any drastic or even marginal sonic difference between the two, except maybe the M3 has slightly more forward mids and provides slightly creamier vocals. While the S5, to me, is slightly more linear-sounding and has flatter response than the M3. But even then, I'm not that sure if it's all placebo or not.

The only way the S5 can compete with the M3, slightly in sound and more in the driving power, is if the S5 is hooked up with an amp and in doing that, it kills the portability of the S5.

How about you, guys? Care to chime in on this?

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #1,338 of 2,126
  The only way the S5 can compete with the M3, slightly in sound and more in the driving power, is if the S5 is hooked up with an amp and in doing that, it kills the portability of the S5.

How about you, guys? Care to chime in on this?

That is like comparing apples to oranges, there is no real point. In my country, the M3 is close to $100, but to order an S5 online, it was $30. The comparison is a waste of time. The S5 is a budget monster and everyone should own one. 

The M3 UI sucks, a Colorfly C3 has a better UI and sound quality.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #1,339 of 2,126
Are touch controls on S5 illuminated? Which sub-30$ earphones would you pair them with for allround music listening (a lot of metal, though, and I like the bass like on my Superlux 681s)? I heard good stuff about Tennmak Pro-s but I'm not sure if they'd have enough bass...I'll definitely get KZ ZS3, they're dirt cheap.

Oh, has anyone tried Benjie K3? I kinda prefer physical keys to touch controls. K9 is nice but no dedicated volume keys and screen is kinda meh, X1 is nice but touch controlls, same for T6...

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #1,342 of 2,126
Apr 23, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #1,344 of 2,126
Hey mate yea mine sounded better with earbuds and sounds louder now. What firmware version did you use? It could also be a placebo effect on my behalf.

i installed the one available from here:
http://www.agptek.com/support/download.html

i'm not sure about the sound either. i listened to some music today, and some songs might sounded just a tiny bit clearer... i slept a lot today, so it might be down to the fact that i'm more relaxed than usually. anyway, the responsiveness of the ui is undeniable.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #1,346 of 2,126
My Benjie S5 (agptek) sounds much better without the topping NX1a. With Sony MDR-NC31EM seems that the amp  cuts the low frequencies restricting the sound. I think it's not a problem of bad connection because i'm using a good quality cable (Fiio L16)... Better this way, increased portability 
cool.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #1,347 of 2,126
Does anyone have the original Benjie K9 firmware? I've asked Benjie for it but haven't heard anything. The AGpTEK firmware for M07 doesn't work. The only thing google turned up is a Russian site swamped with malware.

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #1,348 of 2,126
  My Benjie S5 (agptek) sounds much better without the topping NX1a. Better this way, increased portability 
cool.gif

That's interesting because I've heard some members say the opposite that with the NX1A the S5 sounded like magic. Maybe they had the original firmware and not the M20 one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back