AURALiC ARIES
Feb 16, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #226 of 275
Well the Aries Mini sounded significantly better than a computer for me in terms of being a music server. These devices are purpose built to do one thing and one thing only, play music, whereas computers aren't made just for that function and therefore don't sound as good as a dedicated streamer can. That being said I get what your saying and it is kind of ridiculous. Especially when people start paying exorbitant prices for Ethernet cables, that's when you know you've gone a step too far.

Really considering a mini as my main streamer. Right now I'm using an old iPhone 5 with a Pure i-20 dock->Bimby->HK3490->Dali Zensor 3 setup. Looking for something that can use updated apps like Tidal but I do like Pandora, even with the lossy stream. Bummer the Auralic equipment can't play Pandora.

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #227 of 275
For anyone who may care it looks like TIDAL Masters (MQA) is now available through the Auralic Lightning DS app. Can finally use it on my stereo and headphone setup now!

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #228 of 275
For anyone who may care it looks like TIDAL Masters (MQA) is now available through the Auralic Lightning DS app. Can finally use it on my stereo and headphone setup now!

They are listed under 'Masters' on the Lightning DS App but I don't think the app or the Aries does any unfolding. Put me right if I'm wrong!

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #229 of 275
Ah ok I haven't heard anything about it so you're probably right. Dang!

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #231 of 275
Is that only if the DACdoesnt unfold the files?

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #232 of 275
I believe current MQA standards require the DAC itself do the "unfolding."  I know there was talk about something like the Aries doing it (I actually think they had it done and demoed), but got shot down by MQA gods.

Loving the Aries.  My main issue with Aries is that it won't do DSD512 and I fear a bios update won't change that.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #233 of 275
  I believe current MQA standards require the DAC itself do the "unfolding."  I know there was talk about something like the Aries doing it (I actually think they had it done and demoed), but got shot down by MQA gods.

Loving the Aries.  My main issue with Aries is that it won't do DSD512 and I fear a bios update won't change that.

That is no longer the case.  It can be 'unfolded' in software.  See the new Tidal "Master" service with MQA.  The standard 44.1khz PCM file is unfolded to either 88.2khz or 96khz and can be sent to any DAC.  

Originally, Meridian balked at this, because they wanted to control the WHOLE chain, including apparently optimizations for the DAC chip itself.  In this new software decode implementation, you don't get quite the full MQA effect, since there can be no DAC optimization.  How much of a difference does it make?  I dunno.  

I do know that the Tidal Master MQA files sound very, very good.  

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #234 of 275
That is no longer the case.  It can be 'unfolded' in software.  See the new Tidal "Master" service with MQA.  The standard 44.1khz PCM file is unfolded to either 88.2khz or 96khz and can be sent to any DAC.  

Originally, Meridian balked at this, because they wanted to control the WHOLE chain, including apparently optimizations for the DAC chip itself.  In this new software decode implementation, you don't get quite the full MQA effect, since there can be no DAC optimization.  How much of a difference does it make?  I dunno.  

I do know that the Tidal Master MQA files sound very, very good.  

Can you expand on this? Which software? How does this work with the Aries?

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #235 of 275
Can you expand on this? Which software? How does this work with the Aries?

I can answer my own question, the Beta version of the Aries firmware (5.0.beta2) will unfold the MQA files on the Aries.

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #239 of 275
An old thread but is anyone still using Auralic Aries? I have just gotten a Auralic Aries Le with Gieseler LPSU. This will replace the Auralic Aries Mini. I hope there is some improvement.

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #240 of 275
I still use the Mini. When I got the PS Audio Directstream with the built in Bridge network card I moved the Mini over to the speaker system. For the money the Mini is an amazing little piece of kit. Good luck with the Aries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back